Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 10:21 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,411,370 times

Advertisements

I have no immediate plans to move out of my apartment, but I am aiming toward that sometime this year. Before next winter, for sure.

Once I move out, I would like to spread the word online as much as I can about this apartment.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a complete nightmare. It could be much worse. Some people would probably argue I have it pretty good compared to them.

But nonetheless, there are things I feel future renters should know. Is there a website like that? Where you can post "reviews" on places you've lived and share what your landlords were like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 10:35 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
apartmentratings.com is one that you can use. Google reviews typically has a lot of reviews on places also.

If you're dealing with private landlords you might have a lot more trouble finding anything out.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:40 AM

Thank you.
Yes, it's not an apartment building. It's basically a couple who turned half their house into an apartment.
The fact that they're not an apartment building is precisely why they're so nosy. LOL

I guess I might be better off finding a local forum for my town/city. And say something like, "When you see this number/address advertising in the paper again, beware"...

Old 02-13-2014, 01:44 PM

566 posts, read 1,107,634 times
I would be careful. I see no problem with you giving an opinion - but it could border on libel and slander if you are not careful.

Unless the issues are truly harmful, I would let it go. You must have actual hard proof sometimes, too. (vids, recordings, pictures, letters to them complaining, police reports, )

I had an attic apartment for my first place and half the time they left the door open!!?!! sheesh. The only thing was the landlord was a police officer! I changed the locks, forgot to give them a copy...then moved as soon as I could

Old 02-13-2014, 06:55 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
I don't pay much attention to reviews made online because you dont know if they are real or not. I ask people in person because you can tell if they are genuine. Many reviews are fake online. They have companies that pay people in 3rd world companies to make good reviews on products and services. It's a system that can be easily manipulated like most things online.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:01 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,532,400 times
Why? What do you have to gain by doing this? Why didn't you just get a regular 1 br apartment on your own or find room mates? Because the price was too good? Shared living situations are rarely ideal and anyone sharing their home with a stranger is probably slightly nutty or super desperate to begin with. Any stranger expecting to go into a shared situation and not having their privacy violated or the homeowner not being a nosy lookey-loo is kidding themselves. Use it as a lesson to check situations out better next time. I'm sure there were signs but you did not see them in your desperation to find a cheap but nice housing situation. It happens all the time.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Why? What do you have to gain by doing this?
It's what the future tenant has to gain. I gain nothing... but a better apartment.
I sense hostility.

Quote:
Why didn't you just get a regular 1 br apartment on your own or find room mates? Because the price was too good?
I moved cross-country without a job. I took what I could get. Yes the price is very good. That's the best part about it.

Quote:
Shared living situations are rarely ideal and anyone sharing their home with a stranger is probably slightly nutty or super desperate to begin with. Any stranger expecting to go into a shared situation and not having their privacy violated or the homeowner not being a nosy lookey-loo is kidding themselves.
You don't get it.
This is a 1 bedroom apartment. They converted their house into a duplex. From the outside it looks like an average one-family home. But upon closer inspection, you can see it is a duplex.

Quote:
Use it as a lesson to check situations out better next time. I'm sure there were signs but you did not see them in your desperation to find a cheap but nice housing situation. It happens all the time.
Again, moved fast. Needed a place fast.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothereIN View Post
I would be careful. I see no problem with you giving an opinion - but it could border on libel and slander if you are not careful.
Yes. That did cross my mind. But thanks for mentioning it.

Quote:
Unless the issues are truly harmful, I would let it go. You must have actual hard proof sometimes, too. (vids, recordings, pictures, letters to them complaining, police reports, )
Well for one thing I have the sneaking suspicion he's been in my apartment a couple of times while I wasn't there, without my permission. That's just not courteous, unless he has reason to be. Once he came in an installed a carbon monoxide detector while I was at work. He did this around October of 2012, I believe. I was standing right there when the inspector who came by said the apartment needed one. That was in JULY, THREE MONTHS EARLIER. So there was no pressing need for him to come into my apartment while I was gone and do this. He had already let it go several weeks, and I made sure to mention this when I said to them, "I'd appreciate in the future if you'd let me know before coming into my apartment when I'm at work, as a courtesy." His wife apologized for his butt. She said, "You're right, it won't happen again." And then another time I came home, and I noticed a little scotch tape on my door. Like someone had taped a note, then changed their mind, and removed it. I have a feeling that maybe he came into my apartment, was going to leave me a note, and then remembered he wasn't supposed to be in there in the first place? Or something? LOL I don't know. He's kind of creepy.

I can't really speak up because I'm stuck there a while. I don't even want to think of adding cheap surveillance or anything to find out for sure. So what if I find out my suspicions are correct? I'll be even MORE creeped out and it doesn't change the fact that I'm still stuck there a while.

I guess I can't mention that, because I have no solid proof, as you said. But I think there are things I definitely CAN mention, that are complete factual truths. No slander. If they read that review and consider themselves "slandered" well... they'd better change those things, then.

And they're just freakin' nosy. There is a little mud room area between my front entrance and their front entrance. (I never use that entrance, I use a second one that leads into my kitchen, on the other side of the house.) I will be on the phone with someone, and the second I say "good-bye," I will hear their door quietly close. (EYEROLL)

They just consider my life and my apartment more their business than is truly appropriate, I think. Unless I say something needs fixing or something, it's really none of their business. I lived in my previous apartment before this for about six years. As long as my landlord got her rent, she could've cared less about my life or the apartment I was renting from her... unless I told her something needed a fix. She was great. I hope to get a landlord like her again.

Basically, the "landlord right next door on the other side of the wall" thing is just too close for comfort, for me personally. I won't be doing this again.

Quote:

I had an attic apartment for my first place and half the time they left the door open!!?!! sheesh. The only thing was the landlord was a police officer! I changed the locks, forgot to give them a copy...then moved as soon as I could
Sounds weird, but I read this at least 5 times and I don't get it. They left the door open to your apartment? Was it accessed from the inside or outside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues