Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 06:15 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times

Advertisements

We all know to take useful but no longer wanted items to goodwill when we're moving. I thought it would be nice to have a thread about other places that will take used items off our hands and make use of them.

I'll start:

Take old towels to animal shelters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 10:26 AM

281 posts, read 643,797 times
That's a great idea. I am giving up my huge bed and will buy a smaller one when I move and wasn't real sure what to do with the bedding.

When my ex lost a ton of weight and went down several clothing sizes we contacted a men's homeless shelter in town and I dropped off about five bags of really nice, used dress shirts, t-shirts, and jeans. They were so so thankful!

Old 02-20-2014, 02:19 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,575 times
I have been using Freecycle to pass items on. I had a box of small electronics (old digital cameras, old cell phones, etc, in various states of working). I had a dozen people email me asking/begging for that box of "junk." I told the first person who emailed me that they could have it and they came and picked it up from my porch.

I had a couple of big boxes of decent books and DVDs that I gave to the local library. They have a bookstore of used books in the library that use to raise money for the library.

These days I try to just give stuff directly to people (freecycle) rather than to goodwill.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:24 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,747,652 times
I went through my rather large book collection prior to my move and separated out the ones I wanted to keep and the ones that I really didn't need. (The giveaway stack turned out to be about three times as large, BTW). I offered the more "general interest" books to Ronald McDonald House, since one of my neighbors was a volunteer there, and my old college textbooks to the county library.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:20 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
We all know to take useful but no longer wanted items to goodwill when we're moving. I thought it would be nice to have a thread about other places that will take used items off our hands and make use of them.

I'll start:

Take old towels to animal shelters.
Also, towels, sheets, rugs, curtains, drapes, stuffed toys. I volunteered at an animal shelter, they really do have a need for anything cloth to line the cages, something comfy, soft, machine washable, otherwise, the animals just sit on cold stainless steel cages. Old clothes, too! No size too large or small, we have anything from newborn kittens to Great Danes, all would like somethng to snuggle for comfort.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Goodwill will not to my knowledge pick up donations, but Salvation Army probably will.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:26 PM

Put old junk in a storage locker, then abandon it

Ever watch that show, Storage Wars? Its simply amazing/ridiculous what people pay good money to store

Serioiusly, its like they didn't have a brain in their head. Perhaps they were evicted, or running from bill collectors, didn't have much time to sort and just figured to stuff it all somewhere and come back for it later?

Here's an idea---stuff it all in a storage locker, and will it to your least favorite child, with the stipulation they must pay the storage fees to get it out. The curiosity will kill them! I plan to sweep up all the crap in my ds room, stuff it in a storage locker, and he can get it out if he pays the fee, or let it go on the auction block!

Old 02-20-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Goodwill will not to my knowledge pick up donations, but Salvation Army probably will.

That's probably why there's better stuff at SA, especially furniture. We've just about furnished our whole house with SA stuff, furniture, lamps, pictures, etc.People donate really nice stuff because it costs too much to move/store it.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:31 PM

I saw on TV where Goodwill was sending donated items to Africa. Instead of distributing the items to the poor, they would sell them, to "entrepreneurs" who would then re-sell them. One guy had quite a business going, everything cleaned, sorted, tagged, nicely displayed----well, at least it benefits somebody!

Old 02-20-2014, 04:56 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
We have a local Habitat for Humanity and Thrift shop that I donate to regularly. I had some old snow shovels to get rid of and just put them at the end of the driveway with a free sign, they were gone within an hour. Have also been cleaning out the book collection by posting them for sale on Amazon, made a little cash and someone got a used book for a good price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues