Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 07:47 PM

26 posts, read 34,227 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if I have the right forum for this, but it seemed to fit in here more than the other areas.

I was wondering if anyone could list the basic expenses someone would face when moving out of their parents house for the first time (rent, utilities, ect). I did some searching around and I found some helpful info, but I don't feel like it was everything. I'm just trying to make a plan and prepare myself before I venture out on my own. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 09:09 PM

414 posts, read 1,020,359 times
It's hard to give exact costs due to lots of different factors (location, health, lifestyle), so take this with a grain of salt. Just off the top of my head:

Rent: $400-600/month
Utilities: Depends a lot on where you live. Budget $100/month and see what you actually pay.
Groceries: $200-300/month
Gas: Depends entirely on commute/fuel efficiency, but start with $120 a month
Health Insurance: Can't even guess on this. Depends on your own health
Car insurance: Guessing around $150 month, maybe higher since you're younger
Miscellaneous: I plan around $200/month on things I didn't expect (car repairs, fees, new clothes, other weird things)
Entertainment: Totally up to you on this.

That's all I'm coming up with at the moment. I'm sure others will add their own experience. Good luck! It's a challenging time, but exciting and rewarding as well.

EDIT: A lot of this is very location specific. Once you know where you'll be living, research the cost of living there and adjust accordingly.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:34 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,035,541 times
Don't forget that rent is generally first and last months rent or a security deposit is required when you first move in. Also many utility companies will require deposits when you first open an account.

Do you want cable tv, a phone or internet> they have lots of options in how much they will cost.

Utilities that I have: water, sewer, trash, internet, phone, wireless phone, electricity, gas, tv. The costs will vary by area and size of home. All of mine have a minimum amount of at least $20 even if you do not use it al all. Some of these may be included in the rent. Sometimes water, trash and sewer is included where I live.

Do not forget you will pay for your own gas for the car, car payment, repairs when it breaks down, needs tires or an oil change.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:10 PM

Great thanks for all the input! Defiantly what I was looking for.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:59 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,830,458 times
What state do you live in and are your plans to move close?

Old 03-21-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
What state do you live in and are your plans to move close?
I live in California, but I'm looking into moving to Oregon or Washington.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:27 PM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
You may get lucky and not pay a security deposit.

However that is with roomate(s) only, especially when it come to an apartment.

Generally it is one month rent for the deposit and rent upfront (depending on the day of the month and policy) when you move in. Mentioned on another thread that I am moving soon and I paid $850.00 securty deposit and will pay 34 days rent when I take over the apartment on the 29th.

Hiring movers (I'm older and do not know anyone that can help me) is costing me an estimated $300.00. Studio apartment to another 30 miles away.
I hired a cleaning service for a thorough cleaning which was another $110.00. You obviously don't have to worry about that but I just thought I would mention it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues