Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 07:02 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,898 times

Advertisements

So I will be driving from Colorado to California with a bike rack. I am temporarily residing back in CA so I will have a full car. Since my bike rack will cover my license plate, should I find a way to mount the plate to my bike so that LE can easily see it?

I know that cars with CO plates can become targets in other States due to the new marijuana laws. While I am on the straight and narrow, I do not want to give LE any reason to pull me over. I will have my skittish dog with me who will freak out.

Anyone have this happened to them ? Has anyone mounted their plate to their bike rack? If so, any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 10:16 AM

7,520 posts, read 13,636,965 times
Can you trade-in your rear-mount rack for a roof-mount ??

Old 04-05-2014, 10:41 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Can you trade-in your rear-mount rack for a roof-mount ??
Not at this time. I bought my rack used and it's not worth enough for a trade. I don't have the cash to make up the difference. I think I will just remove the rear plate and mount it on the rack for my journey. Good idea though.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:25 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,958,567 times
Very simple, put it in the lower corner of the back window. Now, before you get all concerned about things, most police aren't dense, there are some but mostly not. Everyone knows a bike rack can obscure the license plate and here is the thing:

You said you are concerned because the police might see your license plate from Colorado and target you because of that. Seems to me that if they can't see your license plate how are they going to know you have Colorado plates?

The police are observant, part of their job. A laden car with a bike rack isn't their primary focus. The car that is empty yet rides like it is fully loaded is their focus. That is why so many people hauling drugs and other illegal materials go to great lengths to keep the ride height of their vehicles the same as if they were lightly loaded.

Don't worry about it too much but if you are that concerned, put it in your back window. The most common place is the right rear part of the rear window (passenger side).

The other things is if you get stopped and aren't doing anything wrong, what is there to worry about other than the inconvenience? You aren't the first person to drive around with a freakzoid dog int he car. The police see that all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues