Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 07:45 AM

428 posts, read 415,970 times

Advertisements

We are certain we want to move to TX from NY. We know it is quite a different culture in most parts and that is a very welcome change. Husband works in IT/MIS and has a ton of great feedback on his resume up here (sent 11 times in 9 months, got calls from 9, interviews from 5, offers- finally took one a couple of weeks ago)... but not one inquiry from TX in the last year. The main goal is to continue build his resume (which he has been able to do well) so that he has better luck out of state, and with a job here we want to keep looking in TX. He has held 4 jobs in his professional career in IT/MIS ranging from education, to healthcare, retail, to R&D platforms.

Best advice for getting a bite on his resume in TX? IT/MIS, we would have assumed, would be an easy-enough job to at least get a phone call about. We have always had one lined up before going to another- moving without one isn't a risk we want to take with a young family. Is it time to pay a head hunter? (He is UL Mgmt. and doesn't want to take a step back; a lateral move is fine; we are aware that mgt. jobs are outnumbered by non-mgt.). 24 years progressive experience in IT working with companies ranging from 100 - 26,000 employees.

(Additional info: I stay home and we are not looking for me to return to work right now; I own a small business that basically runs itself and do not want to move it with me when we go; will be applying for grad school in TX within the next couple of years (criminal justice), assuming a degree from TX (even if earned long distance) might help with my job prospects down the road there. Also, looking around the Houston area.)

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 08:23 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
I have no experience with IT, but I just landed a job in Houston and move there in a few weeks. The thing with Houston is it is the home of huge Fortune 500 companies, so just know that in order to receive a job offer, you have to be on top of your game and then add a little luck in there too.

Good luck.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:00 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
You have to be there to get the interviews, or within a reasonable drive. Just the nature of the beast. With the available talent, the companies don't want to deal with relocation issues.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:43 PM

878 posts, read 1,207,375 times
Just to clarify, you don't pay headhunters (they are paid by the employer NOT the employee)-- so, yes, getting in touch with headhunters in his field down in TX is a good idea.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:48 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
A. Be down here to interview.

B. Houston is actually hiring more than DFW

C. Head hunters are a biggie. Also, check out Monster, etc.

D. You will have to aggressively chase jobs here because everyone else is.

If you are serious, plan on coming down and taking time to actually job search here.

Good luck.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:54 AM

428 posts, read 415,970 times
Great advice, thank you for your replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues