Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 03:21 PM

6 posts, read 9,140 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm kind of embarrassed to be asking this, but I will be totally honest because I think I might have gotten myself into a tricky situation.

My girlfriend and I both have fairly bad credit (but are on the road to recovery). We have about the same credit score now, but about a year ago, hers was much worse than mine. Because we felt (and still feel) that our relationship was ready for it and because it helped financially, we've lived together in an apartment for about a year now and will be searching for a new apartment soon (our lease is up in the summer). Here's the catch though: we live in a 2 bedroom apartment with my lifelong friend. He has good credit, so when we applied to live here, we thought it would be smartest to just have him and me apply (for fear of her bad credit tipping the scale too much and getting us all rejected). To make a long story short, she has lived here "under the table" and is not on the lease, and currently doesn't have a lease anywhere else.

It was a bit of an immature and short-sighted decision, but we felt it made the most sense and haven't had any problems with it...until now, when I just realized that the address for this place will probably be on her credit report due to her employers and university reporting it (I'm not sure how it works, but I looked at mine recently and this address is on it).

Our credit scores are both much better than they were around a year ago, so we'll be applying together for our new apartment (and we'll need to do that anyway to meet the income requirements). Because of her not being on the lease at our current place, our plan for her rental history was for her to perhaps put down a friend's address (who rents a house) that could vouch for her and say they'd been living together. But once again, I just realized that there's a good chance the address will be on her credit report, and if the new apartment tries to confirm that address for her, I'm guessing we're screwed.

We'll be checking her credit report soon, but I'm just wondering if I could get any advice if the address is indeed on there. Have we messed up our chances or is there anything we can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues