Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 07:51 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times

Advertisements

I'm moving in about 1 1/2 weeks. I'm looking to do it in one shot. I drove almost everything I have from Michigan, but now I need to take it all back to Michigan in one shot. I don't have terribly much, except a large dresser, a large roll around toolbox, a large full stack amplifier, about 7 very expensive guitars, a file cabinet and a coffee table. I'm ditching my bed, along with many of my cloths. I'm sure I can find other stuff to part ways with as well.

Here's what I have to work with... A Buick that I can install a trailer hitch to. Heavy car and handles well. I was thinking about renting a mid sized Uhaul box trailer, but I'm not sure if they are ok to haul with a car. I know you can also attach your car to a Uhaul van with a car dolly, but I would prefer not to go down this route. The fees are too high, and the gas mileage is poor for long distance travel.

Anyways, any thoughts? I priced it out and renting a trailer would be the most affordable option, so that's what I'm hoping to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 09:35 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,446,599 times
Why are you moving a coffee table and a filing cabinet but ditching the bed? You can pick up a used filing cabinet for $20. Same with coffee tables.

Get space bags and pack your clothes it them, vacuum them and you can pack a lot of clothes in a small space. Keep the bed. Harder to replace unless it has just flat had it.

Check the towing capacity of the car. A 6x8 UHaul trailer should handle what you will have.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:59 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,604,417 times
I didn't bring anything with me that didnt fit in my car on my 3000 mile move from Savannah, GA because it wasn't cost effective.

The list of what I packed:

Clothes
32" TV
Laptop

Everything else from bed to furniture to fridge to washer/dryer was sold off and I purchased new stuff when I got established out here.

You have a much shorter trip so I'd either go with the small trailer or if it's stuff you can part with I'd really consider ditching it and buying new when you arrive. I had decided to upgrade my stuff so it was easy to get rid of it prior to my move. I went from a double bed and a dresser to a king size bedroom set once I got here... upgraded everything else too. Only thing I haven't done is replace the washer/dryer because my apt included a set.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:06 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I didn't bring anything with me that didnt fit in my car on my 3000 mile move from Savannah, GA because it wasn't cost effective.
You and I have somewhat similar jobs. You didn't bring any tools with you? I have a large roll around Kennedy, with the middle and top boxes included. The thing is jam packed with tools, about 10K worth. Obviously, I'm going to be bringing this along, so I will be renting the Uhaul anyways. I could throw some stuff away, but certainly not the guitars and full stack. So long as I have room, I plan to bring the dresser and tables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Why are you moving a coffee table and a filing cabinet but ditching the bed? You can pick up a used filing cabinet for $20. Same with coffee tables.

Get space bags and pack your clothes it them, vacuum them and you can pack a lot of clothes in a small space. Keep the bed. Harder to replace unless it has just flat had it.

Check the towing capacity of the car. A 6x8 UHaul trailer should handle what you will have.
The dressers will fit, but I don't think the bed will. So, I'm leaving the bed. Aside from that, my bed is nothing more than a high end futon. It's probably time to upgrade. I have many cloths that can be donated. Shouldn't take up too much space.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:53 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,604,417 times
My toolbox fit on the floorboard... LOL

I have tools but not nearly what you have... No need for it at present.

Sounds like you've got it all planned... Good luck with the move.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:47 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
When pricing your various options did you include the cost of installing a hitch (can be upwards of $300)? Also you need to come up with a reasonable estimate of how much the trailer will weigh once loaded and see if it is under what your car is rated for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues