Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 08:42 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,511 times

Advertisements

As someone with 2 kids and a spouse and currently living in NY State, and looking to move to Florida within a few years, I was just wondering how other people/families who have moved from one state to another pull it off. I mean while selling your current home, you also need to find a new place to live in your new residence. Do you time the closings so that they coincide, what if one deal falls through and you are stuck paying double mortgages for a period of time?

I just want to hear from people who have moved their families from one state to another and pulled it off and their thoughts on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 09:18 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,000 times
We moved from NJ to Texas last summer. Two kids, a dog, cat, hubby and me. His job offer was rather sudden so he left before their school finished. I frantically put the house on the market and managed to get it sold. In today's environment with the number of hoops you have to jump through to buy or sell a house, our closing was delayed 3 weeks after we left the state. Our lawyer who was excellent, handled everything for us. As to perfect timing of closing on a new house and closing on the one you just sold...good luck. We were in an extended stay hotel in Texas when our house in NJ finally closed. We moved into the rental shortly afterwards.

If I could suggest anything, it would be to rent for a year. As much as I despise renting, it allowed us to get to know the area and find the house of our dreams a year later. My hubby who was out in Texas found us our rental house over a weekend. The market here is tight and rentals are tough to come by. I think that had we bought when we first moved here, we would have made a mistake. In fact I'm sitting at my kitchen table for the first morning in our new house looking out at the pool (we moved in yesterday). Unfortunately we are paying a mortgage and rent during the month of July but that is the cost of moving. Our lease ends this month.

Good luck to you. Moving is exciting but so stressful.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:33 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
I think most people would advise renting at first in the new place unless it is somewhere you are really, really familiar with (?)

I know it's hard to go from a homeowner to a renter but I'd much rather end up in a rental for a short period of time than a 30 yr mortgage and have buyer regret...

We are bouncing around the idea of a cross country move and my husband wants to take a couple trips there to find a house to buy..... I think that's too much pressure and would prefer to either rent for the first 6months .

I've also considered an extended stay hotel.

I think it would be easier to concentrate on loose ends here - selling house and packing out vs. spending money (airfare, hotels, airport parking , incidentals) and the stress of trying to get out of this place while flying back and forth to look at and close on a place in the new state...

I figure once we are clear of the first place - and moved into extended stay hotel/furnished place/rental - it will be much easier to concentrate on getting settled int he new place.

As someone who has moved alot (military family, but not homeowners until recently) - my best tip is to get a old fashioned paper map of the state and one of the city you are moving too. Put it up on the wall and get an idea where each of the neighborhood areas are...if I found out that a place we were moving too had a very clearly defined "bad part of town" - I mark the boundaries on the map with a sharpie marker. I also put stickies for airline flight paths, bad traffic area, etc... every city has gone "something" that might not noticible at first.

When we moved to my current city - I never thought to check about the hospital situation. Well, then I had medical emergency and literally died because of blood loss.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:13 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
We used to get transferred a lot and so the company paid a lot of moving expenses and we always had great support as far as realtors and temp living expenses. We bought in every market and often regretted the purchases but knew we would be moving again in a couple of years so accepted it. If you are planning on making a move to a place to settle, I strong recommend you rent first to avoid buyer's remorse.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:22 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
We've moved state to state at different times. It's tricky, but if you're well organized, it goes better of course. When we got a contract on the last house, we drove to where our next state residence would be, within a week, and got a rental apt. I researched places well before though--prices, areas, etc., and places w/ short term leases esp. important. I just jumped into action and it was actually pretty easy. Renting a house you'd have to have a long-term lease.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:43 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Yes it is always better to rent at first to make sure you like the area or it is a good fit for you . That way you may still have enough to pay your mortgage on your house and also you want to have 30 -60 days closing that gives you at least a month or two to find a rental etc and do what you have to do .yes always get an apt a week or two before you are going to close that way it goes pretty quickly .It is tricky

Old 07-13-2014, 04:30 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Lists. Lots of lists!

And a Plan B and Plan C when (not if) things go awry.

I didn't rent when I moved to IA from OH. I went straight into a house. A good realtor and some previous experience in multiple houses (I used to assist in flipping them) can help a great deal.

In Iowa, there is too much paperwork for renters! I needed a place fairly soon so I could focus on work, plus I didn't want to pay for a double move. It was the right choice for me. This summer there's even less of a selection in my price range (low) than last July. If I had waited until now, I would've had to pay at least $25K more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues