Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 11:52 PM

339 posts, read 933,629 times

Advertisements

So like most people I assume, I pay all my bills online. I currently live in an apartment in NY and I have a po box just because it's easier to get packages that way and I like having a po box for privacy issues. I don't get a lot of regular mail, just mostly packages and the occasional piece of first class mail. The rest is junk mail.

I'm moving in September from NY to AZ. I have a temporary rental for 30 days in AZ. I know the address of it now. But is it necessary to let my credit card companies know of this 30 day address if I don't get paper bills from them now? I figure once I get a permanent address in AZ, then I could alert the credit card companies and everybody else. My bank also has branches in AZ so I'm not sure if I need to tell them the temporary address either.

I know about the USPS temporary forwarding service. But I was thinking of just putting my brother on my po box account in NY so he can get my mail and let me know if I get anything important, the rest he can throw out. Then once I have a permanent address in AZ, my brother can close the po box in NY.

EDIT: I forgot to say, I would let my credit card companies and bank know I'll be traveling in AZ but I won't tell them I'm moving there until I have a permanent address. My car insurance I would change over immediately to AZ. Don't want to mess around with that.

Not sure if I'm missing anything here.

Last edited by jf2737; 07-22-2014 at 12:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 12:24 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,329 times
I might wait til you're all set up. That way you can avoid the minor annoyance of the few days it takes to change your billing zip since you'll presumably be using your cards for stuff during the move. Or you could get a 3 month mailbox at UPS/USPS in AZ if necessary. They won't send you anything anyway until tax season unless your card gets stolen or something like that.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:26 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,329 times
FYI, I'm currently traveling, and I was going to set up a travel notification online, but it said to only bother with that if traveling internationally. I did move small amounts of cash to several different accounts and have carried a decent amount of cash just in case one bank decided to get suspicious.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:11 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
You don't have to change your insurance until you are permanent.

Look at getting a UPS Store or similar mailbox there. Then change your address. That way you can be assured you will get your mail even though you are not settled. You can use that address as your 'permanent' address for banking, etc until you get your apartment, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues