Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 09:37 PM

5 posts, read 11,289 times

Advertisements

Steps prior to moving
I am looking for a new job. There is a pretty good possibility that this new job will be away from here.

What are the general steps I should do before accepting an offer?
I will do the normal job related stuff.
I am here so I can check out the city.
I should figure out the market for selling my house.
I need to figure out where I am going to be living, but that will happen after acceptance.

Do you buy take the first year to rent and get to know the city, or buy a house based on the Realtor and other information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 05:48 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,830,347 times
IMO, with the market being slow, the very 1st thing I would do is put your house on the market. We are in the same situation, looking to leave the state we are in and my DH has not even begun the process of job hunting because our house has not sold. This forum is filled with those who have accepted jobs, moved and are now paying 2 mortgages or mortgage + rent. If you can afford that, great, but it isn't an option for us and probably most people. So,
1. Sell your house
2. In the meantime, research areas you would like to live, then look for jobs in that area. We made the mistake of choosing the job and not the area and it has not worked out for us.
3. It is always a good idea to visit the new area more than once if possible and in different seasons(if the climate is drastically different than what you are used to).
4. IMO, it is best to rent for the first year or so until you get a feel for the area and to make sure you like the job and your new location. We bought or house, do not wish to stay here, but now we are stuck until it sells.
5. When you have decided on the area/job be sure to factor in the cost of living for the new area vs. your current location and pay, including tax impact. A higher or the same salary in one area can sometimes be negated by a higher tax rate in the new state, this also applies to health care costs as well.
Good luck, and hope this helps... been there/done that and won't do it the same way again!

Old 12-21-2007, 10:35 AM

5 posts, read 11,289 times
I am in a slightly different position than many people. I don't want to move, but I am willing to move for the right position.

I am talking to several different companies. The best position are out of town. So I think I will be moving. I just don't know what I need to check before I take the plunge.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:59 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
Cost of living comparison so that you are sure you are getting a decent offer!!! If they offer you $25K more than your current job, and you are all fired up about it - but then you find out that housing/food/gas/insurance/taxes are all 50% more expensive than at your last place - you may actually be taking a pay cut!!!

Get your current place on the market. If you know you're moving in the next year or two no matter what - be prepared to rent in your current location until you move, just so you can get your house sold. It sucks to move and be paying two mortgages, or rent in your new place and a mortgage in the old place. Plus really stressful!

see if you can negotiate that the new company "buy your house" if it doesn't sell in X number of days. Some of the VERY large (fortune 500) companies will do that if it is for a high enough position.

Get your new living space in order - hotel/apartment/company-relocation-apartment. Start thinking if you want to "buy" or rent in your new place.

I just relocated in May of 2007 (our house sold in MI in Nov 2007) - and in October I signed a contract to build. I spent the summer driving EVERYWHERE and reading these forums and talking to people to figure out the community/neighborhood we wanted to invest in. Hopefully we made a good choice.

Above all, just accept that for the relocation year - other things may have to be put on hold (for me, that means finishing my next degree will take a year longer).. Its hectic enough with selling your house, moving, starting a new job, finding a new place to live, unpacking, meeting people, finding a new vet, dr, car mechanice, etc... Don't try to pretend you can also do the normal things of living -- wait until you're settled again!!

GOOD LUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues