Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 01:50 PM

419 posts, read 2,018,749 times

Advertisements

I would like to move to a new town. I would like to be in a town where no one knows me except for my wife, where I can make new friends, where I do not have to drive by old workplaces where I had failed at, shop at new malls where I don't know every square foot, not run into people who have wronged me in the past, etc, etc.

I suspect I would become re-energized again and would look at life and people from a new perspective. I would be fresh and renewed.

How about you, what happened to your life perspective right after you moved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 07:16 PM

919 posts, read 3,183,800 times
It made me appreciate what I had before....I was so happy to move from where I grew up 14 years ago and I lived in some very beautiful places but it never felt quite right to me, I lived near the ocean, in the midwest, in the deep south and in the moutains and its been nice but no place has compared with what I knew and loved my whole life, you can move to an different area if you wish to avoid mean negative people, you do not have to out of state in order to that and you can change your number, realize that there will be ass***** no matter where you go, trust me that can appear no matter where you live...the secret to that is not giving them that power over you or your life, life too short to care what others think bout you, right?

Old 12-23-2007, 09:25 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,234 times
I moved in '95 from PA to NM when going thru a divorce after a long marriage. It did help not being in the same place or for me, running into him and his girlfriend. Moving to an area where I knew no one and was so different certainly enabled me to grow and get to know myself as a person, but I don't think my life perspective changed -- I've always been pretty positive. I do feel I became more of who I am. But I never felt PA was home--moved there as a twelve year old from the midwest. People were just not very friendly in the east. I love the west and learned after I moved that my grandpa always wanted to move further west. The only regret is that family still live in PA. I would love to be closer to them if I could stand living there (so far NO and it no longer has anything to do with my ex.) If I ever decide to move back because of family I think I can be happy no matter where I am living yet it is easier to do with like minded people.

I believe change can create growth and opportunities to learn from past mistakes. Does your wife support your desire to move?

Old 12-25-2007, 07:03 AM

947 posts, read 3,571,231 times
Ive lived in Connecticut...Mississippi...Alabama...Florida....n orth Dakota..new Hampshire and SOuth Carolina.

Each area and job had it's pros and cons.

I learned new things in each place, met new people....

And after 4 years of living in very different parts of the USA.. I have definately learned things.. and most definately gotten a new outlook on my life in terms of what I like, look for and appreciate.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:15 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,292 times
Thumbs up Yes it has

We moved down from New England about 11 years ago and we have nothing but good to say about our neighbors and our home in the country. It has energized both of us and we feel healthier and more invigorated than ever. The secret is to find just the right place as it can be anywhere, but we found utopia here in rural North Carolina.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:25 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Default Yes, it was a great experience

Native North Carolinian . . . moved to midwest . . . loved it! My family is pre-Revolutionary War (both sides) in NC so I have this huge extended family- and relationships b/n other families that go way back . . . so leaving and being "anonymous" was wonderful! Truly enjoyed it!

Now, moved back to NC. Nice to be back w/ family at this stage of my life. Sometimes I still yearn for my former life . . . it was very different! Miss my old neighbors . . . but other than that, nice to be back where I started from.

I highly recommend trying a new region, city or town! Broadens one's perspective. I never really understood what it meant to be a Southerner til I left the South.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:35 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,529,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I would like to move to a new town. I would like to be in a town where no one knows me except for my wife, where I can make new friends, where I do not have to drive by old workplaces where I had failed at, shop at new malls where I don't know every square foot, not run into people who have wronged me in the past, etc, etc.

I suspect I would become re-energized again and would look at life and people from a new perspective. I would be fresh and renewed.

How about you, what happened to your life perspective right after you moved?
Well, I'm going to be moving later in 2008 and I'm moving back to the southeast (where I grew up at). And every time I go back that way, on vacation, I feel so much better and the people seem to be more friendly too. I can really be myself and don't have to be fake either. I'm more myself (well, I'm myself here too, but not the same as going back to my roots, once a year).

But yes, I think it will give me a new look at life and make me re-energize too. It does everytime I go to visit.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:35 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,030 times
Native of the Chicagoland suburbs and moved to the west, Las Vegas, Nevada. Grew up as a kid hating Chciago because my family was from Cali. We were always visiting family out there. Dreamt of moving west, like an adventure. But as I became an adult, I realized I really grew to love the midwest. I took the plunge to move to Las Vegas because my parents did and all my friends were dropping like dominos into the marriage world. I figured I was still single, and was always curious about the west, so what am I waiting for?

Four years later, I have come to appreciate teh deserts' amazing environments, but learned just how precious teh midwest culture really was to me. My heart ached for home since day one. Those true friends stuck with me all these years even though there are millions of miles between us, others didn't. I found I Las Vegas really matured me in many ways. Now, I'm ready to move back and I can't wait.

I know nothing will be the same as far as where things used to be, people's lives changed, and I'm counting on it! I am looking forward to getting back to my roots and being myself in such a better way. I firmly believe God has blessed this journey and will continue to do so!

Thanks for letting me share!

Old 12-27-2007, 02:27 PM

570 posts, read 1,819,936 times
This is a great post, I'm also considering leaving my hometown once I graduate college. There are some great posts on here!

Old 12-27-2007, 02:28 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times
I would say moving with an open mind can definitely change your life - for better or worse.

I moved from the Northern Virginia are (highly stressful, very expensive) to Southeastern Virginia - Hampton Roads 4 years ago. I was born and raised in that surburban mess and lived there 41 years. Married with children, then divorced and felt I could never get out. I had done alot of traveling around the US for business and pleasure and knew I wanted out, but was never able to open that door. My mom passed away in April 2003 after a 6 year health battle. All of a sudden that door flew open. I put my house on the market at the start of the housing boom so I made a nice tidy profit and moved my dad and 2 children out. Originally I wanted to go to Arizona, but the children didn't want to go that far - and I respected that - so we moved to HR where my ex-in laws lived and other family. It was almost my 2nd home anyway so it felt vaguely familiar.

In 4 years I have never looked back or regreted that move. My paychecks go farther, I have more time with my family (not fighting traffic for hours a day), and it is so much less stressful. I still go out exploring and really enjoy the people here.

You have to have the right mindset to move away and start over. Once you have that, you can make your life your own in a new place. I knew what I wanted, but was tied down to family obligations and felt the time wasn't right. All of a sudden my opportunity hit me in the face and I took it. Remember that nothing is permanent either - if you make a wrong choice and leave, you can always go back - or go somewhere else. You are in charge. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues