Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 08:45 PM

73 posts, read 119,237 times

Advertisements

I have my first moving company estimator coming over tomorrow morning to give me an estimate for my move from Dallas to Seattle! What questions do you recommend I ask them while they're here? I'm getting quotes from graebel, Mayflower, United, and Atlas. All of them have A BBB ratings for their national and local offices. I'm also going to get quotes for temporary storage and car transport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 02:31 PM

415 posts, read 2,334,539 times
The main thing you should be looking for is honesty and integrity.

Make sure they are proving a binding quote.

Also make sure they ALL give you a quote with Full Valuation Protection ( FVP ) coverage

A number of moving estimators will make their quote look good by not including the Full Valuation coverage. Without this coverage you have the base coverage of .60 per pound per item. here is how that works, if the mover walks outside your front door and drops your 40 lb TV on the side walk, under the .60 per pound, you would receive $24.00 , under the Full Valuation Coverage, you will receive the value to replace the TV.

Read each line of the quotes carefully make sure you are comparing apples to apples in regards to service, packing cartons, weight and valuation...

Then go with the mover who provided the best information and is still reasonable in cost. Lower cost is Never better in the moving business. It usually means you are getting less service and are not fully protected

I am a moving consultant and have been in the business since 1980 and have handled well over 8000 moves in my career

The biggest thing to do is make sure your have trust and confidence in your mover, if the seem to be to good to be true, it probably is....

Old 09-16-2014, 06:11 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
PP has good advise, obviously he/she is in the business, so they know their stuff.

I would also ask them (or try and get some good info on) how they handle claims for lost or damaged property. When you get to Seattle and begin to unpack, there will be some issues. There always are.

I had some minimal damage to household goods in my last move and asked for about $1,200 and I got it from them few questions asked within 10-14 days. You don't want a company that is going to nickel and dime things, ask you to prove the value of X item was really $400 and not only $200 etc etc. If you get a good vibe from the Relo Consultant on the front end, odds are they will be easy to work with on the other end as well.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:50 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
If you are a AAA member, Atlas will give you a great price, and will also include full insurance for no cost to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues