Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 12:32 PM

145 posts, read 867,190 times

Advertisements

This similar to the "moving away not moving to" thread. My husband and I are ready to move, but we're still trying to decide where we want to go... so I'm asking for ideas. Here is what we would like:

1) Four seasons (including snow that sticks), but not much hotter than 90 in the summer

2) We need a decent size metro area, because of my husbands work (IT)

3) A slower pace of life then here in So. Cal.

Any ideas? Any and all will be considered....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 12:47 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,783,564 times
corel -- we too are in about the same situation. ... moving away from high property tax.

we can live pretty much anywhere -- DH is currently on medical leave from work ... and he's not getting any better.

for you... something with 4 seasons.... will have to be middle of the country and north.... but much in the Mid- part of it, will be well into the 90's for summer ... and i'm thinking you being from So Cal, have not lived in humid weather ?? UGGG! you will need to go farther north to get away from humidity. I'm actually starting to feel that there is no perfect place to live weather-wise if you want it all. also... farther north you will get more snow.

I'd think if you found a metro area and narrow it from there....

how about Minneapolis area? you'd get it all up there.
Northern Wisc will give it all to you, but no real metro area.

I guess i really only know about the mid-west.

I'd think the east coast will be too bustling too, just like SoCal.

HTH,

tcs

Old 12-28-2007, 02:02 PM

tcs,
Thanks for your reply. It is a little tricky narrowing it down, we've looked seriously into Anchorage. I just don't care for how expensive it is to move there (maybe I'm being too short-sighted), and we're looking into Colorado and Boise ID. There is a little town in New Mexico that we would both love, snow and all, but the work isn't there.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:53 PM

Oh i would love AK ... but think the winters would be too long and the summer too short.

Taxes here in IL are killer .... approx 2% of the assessed value of your home

we'd love to move to Wisc, but their over all taxes are bad [rated 2nd or 3rd worst in the nation] We've been browsing Lake of the Ozarks, MO
and now tossing the idea of a ma and pa shop on the beach in FLA... and join the snow bird crowd, living in Wisc May-Oct.

we still have a good yr or two to make any real decisions though. plus -- when we decide to make the big move ... we have MIL to consider.... she won't stay here with out her son. [DH is an only child]

good luck, and happy hunting. I've used many of the resources this site has to offer to look for locations... its' been pretty helpful.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:48 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,949,603 times
The Cleveland or Pittsburgh areas might work for you. Both have snow that sticks and we rarely get temps over 90°, it does get humid here, but nothing like the SE. The only problem might be jobs in IT, I'm not sure how the market is for that in this area. You might also want to check out Columbus.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:21 PM

240 posts, read 472,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corel View Post
This similar to the "moving away not moving to" thread. My husband and I are ready to move, but we're still trying to decide where we want to go... so I'm asking for ideas. Here is what we would like:

1) Four seasons (including snow that sticks), but not much hotter than 90 in the summer

hey corel,

How about Massachusetts. We have 4 seasons. We have oceans.
We have mountains. We have a lot of IT. Many nice towns and of course the surrounding states of New England are beautiful to visit. And we do have plenty of snow.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:57 PM

My husband (being quit attached to the Pacific) and I (because of family) have decided to stay on the West side of the states. We've narrowed it down to the following (In no real order of prefrence): Alaska, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Colorado, Iowa (ok, I know Iowa is not exactly on the West side but it still found it's way into the list).....
Can any one offer some personal insight into any of these area?

Thank you for all the ideas offered thus far, and for those yet to come.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:05 PM

corel -- you cant ski in iowa. it's flatter than a pancake.

DH loves the PacNW, though i have not been there since i was a teen. [drove from San Fran to Seattle and back again]
so i'd be no help on your quest ... happy hunting

Old 12-31-2007, 06:32 PM

tcs,
thanks for your input so far. As far as Iowa goes, I don't really mind it being flat. I've never being ski-ing, I'd be find with cross-country ski-ing and snow shoeing. We've crossed WA off the list. We're trying to get away from traffic and into a slower pace... (please, I mean no offense to those that love WA). Does any one have some information on the other states I listed? What you like about living there, what you don't? How are the people? What can you tell me about the weather? Thank you all for your advice and the information you provide.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:11 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,566,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corel View Post

Nebraska - either Lincoln or the Omaha metro.

Here is some information from a related post I did last week:

Major data center and IT shops for some major operations, such as:
Google is opening a large datacenter next door in Council Bluffs
PayPal has a major operation (largest outside of California I think)
Many defense contractors
First Data
Mutual of Omaha
Union Pacific
Conagra
InfoUSA
Kiewitt Construction
ACI
TD Ameritrade
Physicians Mutual
Woodman of the World
Omaha Steaks
Gallup
Oriental Trading
Sitel
West Corp
Berkshire Hathaway
Leo A Daly

Some major leading edge technology with the Kiewitt Institute

Might be interested in this report from Nebraska Workforce (http://www.nde.state.ne.us/nce/documents/Workforce.pdf - broken link)regarding areas of top growth (Healthcare and IT)

"The City of Omaha has a population of 409,416 and is surrounded by a number of suburban communities. The population of the Omaha metropolitan statistical area (MSA) is 807,305 with over 1.1 million within a 60-minute drive. The Omaha (MSA) consists of Douglas, Sarpy, Saunders, Cass and Washington counties in Nebraska and Pottawattamie, Harrison and Mills counties in Iowa." Source: Omaha Chamber of Commerce (broken link)

Also one of those suburban communities it talks about is Papillion which was just this year named the 6th Best Place to Live in the US by CNN/Money Magazine. Papillion is also headquarters for InfoUSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues