Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 10:52 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I will retire in June and I am planning to move from Long Island all the way to Portland by myself. Just me and my cat Gracie. How difficult is this to manage all by oneself? I would have toi take care of everything . The vans, the packing and the eventual move . Would it be easier to drive across the whole country with my cat ? Would it be better to pack my car into a van and fly across the country ?

What pitfalls should I look for in moving companies ? I know that they an be unscrupulous. Should I allow themn to pack everything?

Any help from any one with this kind of experience would be greatly appreciated. It seems like such a daunting task.

Best, nancy
Research the cross-country movers in your area. You'll have to research both the packing companies, and the trucking companies. Trucking companies usually have a partner company in your area that does the packing. Do as much packing yourself as you can, because it gets expensive to pay packers. It's the packers that can be unscrupulous; some are scammers that over-use expensive packing materials (bubble wrap), and charge an arm and a leg for that. Look for companies that are licensed. Also, the packing companies tend to underestimate how much time & manpower it takes to pack your stuff, so that you end up owing more at the end of the job. Another reason that it's better to pack most of your stuff.

If you have the time, driving can be fun and interesting. (Be sure you have AAA membership.) Shipping a car is expensive. You can research all these costs, and decide what you can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 11:00 AM

488 posts, read 857,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post

So why am I moving? I've been to NC. I fell in love with its beauty. So many places to investigate, enjoy, etc. without major cost. I love the mountains. And I do enjoy the ocean as well. People who have lived there all of their lives may not agree with me, but I feel like I'm moving to a little slice of heaven (for me).
Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Everyone likes different things. If NC is where your heart is, then you need to make it happen.

I think the rainy weather in the Pacific Northwest would be a special kind of hell, but millions love it. Same with New England winters. People dream of Florida, I hate the humidity. Myself? I'm headed for the desert and I couldn't be more excited.

Good luck in your move!

One caution to you - be sure you know in advance if your new place with take credit cards. Not all of them do.

My cousin moved from Toronto to Dallas with nothing but what would fit in her hatchback. When I went to visit her a few years later, she still had folding lawn chairs in her living room. Decide for yourself if you can live like that for a bit as opposed to moving your things if your budget is that tight. Some people selling things on Craigslist will even deliver, which is another option for restocking your place.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:15 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Also, most major moving companies require 1,000 lb. minimum (you get charged for 1k even if you have less than that). So you might be able to take a lot more than you think with you. They should be able to come out to your place and give you an estimate.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:43 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLispfixer View Post
I just retired after 31 years at my job. I am only 54. I am thinking about how I can start my life over again. I lost my home to foreclosure and my partner of 31 years left me for someone else. I am alone and have no family to move near, nor real friends to turn too. This is not what I had planned for this time in my life. I would like to get out of this hot Arizona climate, but don't know where I can afford to live on my small pension. I have begun searching the Internet. It's scary thinking about doing this all alone, but I know people do all of the time.
Please Google Find Your Spot. It is an extensive (but fun!) on-line quiz that will give you 20 city/town suggestions based on everything from your income to the climate you like to what you like to do in your spare time.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:28 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Hey, congratulations on your courageous leap.

I'm guessing that one smart thing to do is to get everything in writing from the movers. I've heard about moving companies who arrive at the location then refuse to unload unless you give them extra money. And check out their BBB rep.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:21 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Please Google Find Your Spot. It is an extensive (but fun!) on-line quiz that will give you 20 city/town suggestions based on everything from your income to the climate you like to what you like to do in your spare time.

I took this test. I'd say 95% North Carolina (a lot of cities but not the one I'm moving to, LOL). And a smaller percent Virginia. I had thought of VA, too. But sticking with Winston Salem, NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues