Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 09:25 PM

35 posts, read 268,538 times

Advertisements

Me and my best friend are renting an RV in July. We are starting in Chicago and taking like a month to drive on Rt. 66 to LA... we are girly girls.

Can anyone suggest places to stop on the way? Even if they are like a hour off the road.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 10:32 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieJean View Post
Me and my best friend are renting an RV in July. We are starting in Chicago and taking like a month to drive on Rt. 66 to LA... we are girly girls.

Can anyone suggest places to stop on the way? Even if they are like a hour off the road.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.
Well, I would recommend taking a drive through Route 66 State Park which you will encounter about 30 miles southwest of St. Louis. I'd also recommend stopping in Gallup, New Mexico...they have great Mexican food. If you want to view the Grand Canyon, definitely do that...it's about an hour north of Flagstaff. Stop in Amarillo at the Big Texan for a great steak. I'm guessing you are travelling the actual pavement of route 66. I drove the interstates that basically replaced it, excluding I-55 from Chicago to St. Louis. Drove I-44 west to I-40 west. I know nothing about the roughly 13 mile Route 66 segment that passes through the southeast corner of Kansas. I'm pretty sure that Route 66 passes through Tulsa, so stop there. I'd recommend stopping in all the major cities it passes through (Oklahoma City)...definitely check out the Oklahoma City's Alfred Mura building memorial of the 1995 bombing. Quite a site to see. Also, Albuquerque was a beautiful city from what I can recall.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:35 AM

572 posts, read 1,995,718 times
Get a good map book. I like Rand McNally and check out the towns and cities with 100 miles and then research them on the internet. The four corners region is fantastic. The San Juan region of SW Colorado is breath taking. Talk to the locals about which roads to take and if they can handle an RV. Carry emergency equipment - car jack, fix-a-flat, tow cable, tools, water, etc...Have a great trip.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:36 AM

630 posts, read 2,226,877 times
Route 66 in AZ (actual road) goes through Oatman. It's an old mining town, it's kinda nice to stop, walk around and look at some of the shops, just before getting to Oatman is an actual gold mine. They have tours into the mine which I really enjoyed. Enjoy your tirp, there are so many things to see along the Old Route 66.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:02 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Dontcha dare take that trip without stopping in Seligman. Arizona. While you are there stop in The famous Sno Cap Inn. Look it up and read about it. Known as the Rt 66 Clown, Juan Delgadillo the owner has been tricking and teasing people into laughs for 50 years. He died 3 years ago but his sons carry on the tradition. Good food ! Let me help you not to make a fool of yourself. But I will only give you one clue. All the doors to The Snow Cap have door knobs on both sides. You will almost always grab the wrong one.

Some of my other favorite tricks are they ask you if you want straw with your drink. When you say yes you are shot with a wad of real straw, like in Horse hay. If they ask you if you want ketchup for your fries they will shoot you with the ketchup bottle with streams and streams of ketchup....fake of course. The restroom is an old phone booth in the back yard, it has a phone and a TV in it too. But you have to walk around a half dozen antique cars all parked and beg for you to stick your head inside them. You can order a dead chicken sandwich or a cheeseburger with cheese.

Also stop and eat at the Road Kill Steak House. I hear it is good but never ate there.

There is a KOA there right in town you can stay with the RV. Seligman is an old RT 66 town that progress forgot about. It was a booming little place till the Interstate 40 came through and forgot about it. They later did put exits for the town and it is a great place to spend 2 days.

There is also a little antiques shop and they have old 50s cars parked outside with human sized mannequins all dressed in 50s garb.

You will not forget this place. You will bring your kids here some day. It will leave an impression on you I promise. It is about 4 hours from my home and we make about 3 trips a year just for overnighters.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:46 AM

119 posts, read 379,817 times
Default 66

did this during hippie days, great fun
check out the comet crater in AZ
go to the Natl Cowboy Hall of Fame in OK City
cross the painted desert (NM) at night, pull off the road, turn-off the lights, then look up. let your eyes adjust, soon you will see more stars then you knew existed, you will see depth to the night sky, layer upon layer of stars
don't be in a hurry
just...dig it

Old 01-03-2008, 12:05 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicTouch View Post
Route 66 in AZ (actual road) goes through Oatman. It's an old mining town, it's kinda nice to stop, walk around and look at some of the shops, just before getting to Oatman is an actual gold mine. They have tours into the mine which I really enjoyed. Enjoy your tirp, there are so many things to see along the Old Route 66.
I agree. Oatman is interesting. My wife really liked the place because she found some terrific jewelry there.

Ken

Old 01-03-2008, 01:03 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugnot View Post
did this during hippie days, great fun
check out the comet crater in AZ
go to the Natl Cowboy Hall of Fame in OK City
cross the painted desert (NM) at night, pull off the road, turn-off the lights, then look up. let your eyes adjust, soon you will see more stars then you knew existed, you will see depth to the night sky, layer upon layer of stars
don't be in a hurry
just...dig it

Once a Hippy always a Hippy.

Welcome fellow Hippy. I remember those same stars that one could not see while existing in a big city. They were awesome ! I still do drive out into the desert outside the city to look up at those stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues