Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2014, 06:26 PM

5 posts, read 6,724 times

Advertisements

Myself and my partner and looking to move in the Spring. We're looking at a few locations but are as of yet undecided. It's just the two of us and our dog, we're looking to start trying to conceive again within a year or so (several miscarriages have made us put things on the back burner). We're 22 and 23, respectively, I work part time outside the home and run my own home business, he works full time and can transfer his job almost anywhere.
We're slowly trying to get rid of as much of our stuff as possible, a minimalist lifestyle is very appealing to us in general, and it will make the move a lot easier.

Trying to work on numbers though, if we're moving to an area where the average rent is about $500-$600, how much should we have saved? He wants to have as much as possible before we move, I say a minimum of $4000-$5000 would be good enough for us.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 06:47 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,522,781 times
I've heard that you should have enough saved to live on for 6 months (including your all bills, not just rent) in the bank as the guideline. so maybe start with that number.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:33 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkemery View Post
Myself and my partner and looking to move
We're 22 and 23, respectively
I work part time
he works full time
It's just the two of us and our dog

Thoughts?
Have specific skill sets (more than one) that will allow for EITHER of you to earn MORE THAN
enough to maintain a decent life for all on ...and in industries that offers benefits.

Quote:
We're looking at a few locations but are as of yet undecided.
Without that sort of skill set... it won't be any better no matter where you go.
With that sort of skill set... you can go anywhere your heart desires.
Well, almost. And with several months of living expenses saved up.

Which means to hunker down where you are and presumably know your way around town
and have work contacts and family and friends and all the rest and use these ADVANTAGES
to leverage your way into the sorts of GOOD JOBS and training that you can actually plan a life around.

Quote:
we're looking to start trying to conceive again within a year or so...
NO! Just no.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:42 PM

5 posts, read 6,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Have specific skill sets (more than one) that will allow for EITHER of you to earn MORE THAN
enough to maintain a decent life for all on ...and in industries that offers benefits.

Without that sort of skill set... it won't be any better no matter where you go.
With that sort of skill set... you can go anywhere your heart desires.
Well, almost. And with several months of living expenses saved up.

Which means to hunker down where you are and presumably know your way around town
and have work contacts and family and friends and all the rest and use these ADVANTAGES
to leverage your way into the sorts of GOOD JOBS and training that you can actually plan a life around.

NO! Just no.
You are quite literally the most exceptionally rude person I've had the displeasure of encountering.
I don't recall asking you about your thoughts on the structure of my family and the fact that you think its your place is absurd. Also, assuming I have no skill sets is ridiculous. If you had read my post in its entirety you would know that we both have secured jobs.

So if you're going to be commenting on things, address the actual question rather than being obnoxious and self-righteous.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Having a child is incredibly expensive. It will add to your rent, transportation, food and many other costs. It could change your car and home size needs, and it will certainly affect your job situation. Since you seem to have some flexibility right now, he's right that you should not muddy the situation with the details of pregnancy and delivery if you can help it.

With your proposed plan, you will only have about 6 months of rent saved. I would not feel comfortable with that.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:56 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,283,899 times
Save money now. You have over a decade to think about starting a family.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:52 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkemery View Post
You are quite literally the most exceptionally rude person I've had the displeasure of encountering.
I don't recall asking you about your thoughts on the structure of my family and the fact that you think its your place is absurd. Also, assuming I have no skill sets is ridiculous. If you had read my post in its entirety you would know that we both have secured jobs.

So if you're going to be commenting on things, address the actual question rather than being obnoxious and self-righteous.
Nope, he's right. Kids cost a lot of money. My son, as an infant, had a digestive tract disorder. I had to feed him with an eye dropper every three hours 24 hours a day for a while. After that,--it took a while--I discovered that he had neurological problems and learning disabilities. I've spent most of my adult life trying to produce a self sufficient adult who could contribute to society. I won, but it took years. Skill set? Earning capacity? It didn't matter; I couldn't work all of the time. We not only moved often, but my husband was out of town a lot. Put lost income into your budget.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:59 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
I'd also second the 6 months of total expenses in savings. I would hold off on trying to get prego before I'd get my things in order both logistically and financially

Old 01-04-2015, 09:13 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,102,953 times
3 Months is the minimum, 6 months is the preferred.

Minimalist lifestyle is wonderful. I keep trying to get there and people keep bringing stuff into my house.

"Oh yes, let's be minimalist, but let's also have this STUFF~!!!" /sigh

6 months living expense is preferred even when you are living in the same place, so if you are moving the real difference is simply "are you going to line up a job before you move?". Moving without a job lined up is generally a very poor decision and I have watched it work out horribly for many people, including myself when I was younger and foolish enough to believe the world was a better place filled with people that were not terrible greedy little animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues