Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 06:56 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Thanks, all. Maggie, you poor kid! I will remember that!

gouligann, they will each be in a carrier, I will get the collars.

I'm going with the Bach's rescue remedy; they are too old to sedaate, I would be scared to death to do it.

I will bring headphones and earplugs for DH.

We always cover Fred's cage, a sudden draft can kill a bird. I still have his travel cage from when we moved here in 1991.
I don't know about cats using the rescue remedy, but our dog is very nervous in our truck and it didn't work at ALL for her. I might as well been giving her water. I hope it works for your cats! Good luck with your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 07:59 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Take some TP. You may need it on the road and your new house may not have any.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:32 AM

88 posts, read 116,103 times
TP, Clorox wipes, tissues, paper towels, air mattress, bedding, clothes for one week, laundry detergent.

I just moved from LA to DC. Luckily once I arrived, my furniture was delivered within 48 hours, but all those things I listed came in handy that first day!

Old 01-16-2015, 11:32 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
1) Tranquilizers for the animals - will help them to stay mellow and to sleep much of the trip. In hotels, may prevent them from keeping you up all night.

2) Something to block sunlight for the animals (blankets or sheets, etc)

3) Bring all documentation regarding the pets with you - shot records, etc.

4) Have an iPhone or data phone? Make sure you can charge it and play it in the car through the cars speakers - and load it up with books or podcasts so you have something to listen to. If you need to use it as a GPS (I do on road trips), get a dash mount for it.

5) Just have an awesome adventure - everywhere there are grocery stores and pharmacies... so realistically you are more likely to overpack than anything else.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:19 PM

389 posts, read 916,291 times
OP, you will not have to pay any cash to drive in NY as they take the EZPass. I do not recall reading about any toll roads in NY except the thruway. Use the EZPass transponder (loaded with funds) and you should be good.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:43 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Thanks, Buckeye, I checked it out. The only toll in NY is from I87 from Albany to the NJ border, and it's 5 bucks and change. The rest of the way is toll free until we hit the Florida turnpike. So I will jusst pay the cash in NY and get a SunPass.

Gouligann, I have heard that the Bach's doesn't work for some, but it's a chance I have to take. Two of them are over fifteen and I can't risk the drugs.

mbuszu, thanks for the tip on covering all of the cages, I hadn't thought of that.

We don't have an Iphone but my dad just gave me an Ipad. Still trying to figure it out.

I was planning on getting two rooms each night, one for the cats and one for us.

We are in luck that the house is partially furnished, my mom goes there weekends to tend to improvements, cut the grass and get away from the city, so the basics are already there.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:35 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,031 times
I drove from DE up to Albany then out to Ohio past Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo. There were tons of tolls, and I used EZ Pass each time. Not sure how much they were. I think there were some tolls in NJ too.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:43 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,031 times
As for the iPad, that's fine. I have a Galaxy Tab, and I have TomTom GPS on it. You can download the maps for the whole country in advance, so no wifi is needed during use.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:44 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
I can't believe no one mentioned a can opener, a wine opener, coffee, coffee maker, coffee cups & wine glasses. You're going to need an eye opener in the mornings& a relaxant for evening. Good luck with your move.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:31 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Thanks rarog, I am new to the Ipad, I will download the maps. Dad told me unless I had wifi it can't be a GPS, so that is really good news. I am counting on it mostly to keep DH entertained.

Thanks meo, vodka is a twist off I am counting on painkillers and moonshine to keep DH pain free with his bad hip.

If any of you have tips for traveling with someone who is in great pain I need your ideas. I will be taking the portable tens unit with us to alleviate the pain. Four hours in the rig and he's in agony. Whiskey helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues