Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 12:50 PM

678 posts, read 698,669 times

Advertisements

Do u think its more important to persue what you dream of, or what you already have?

Last edited by tht1guy; 01-24-2015 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 12:54 PM

129 posts, read 525,347 times
Depends on the values associated - does your 'dream' involve advancing others, and is it being done not just to advance yourself?

Are others dependent on you?

Is it short term or permanent?

Old 01-24-2015, 05:56 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,623,863 times
Are you single? Go. If you are married and have kids, you'd probably better stay put.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:31 AM

9 posts, read 9,908 times
I am asking myself a similar question now. In my opinion, don't pass up something that you know you will regret or you absolutely know will make you happy. There is no way you can be your best spouse, parent, sibling, etc. if there is always a part of you that doesn't like where you are or if you have regret for passing on an opportunity eating at you every day. But at the same time, make sure that you don't force your own life choices onto others who will also need to live with the consequences of your decision. There is definitely no easy answer.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:56 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,810,861 times
I moved from Charlotte to Phoenix in December of 2014. Some of the hometown folk told me why would I ever want to leave my hometown? Some said they would give me a year in Phoenix and then I would be back in Charlotte. I moved because I had visited before and thought the city had more opportunity than Charlotte. So I sold my home, saved a little nest egg, and started the journey of job hunting in the Phoenix metro area..... Lets just say 1yr and counting here. Landed a "sweet" job and things are working out nicely...Sometimes you have to go with your gut. For me I knew I needed change after living in my hometown for 30+yrs.....I felt like I had hit a brick wall there. Same ole people, sights, sounds, etc. Change is good for the soul sometime. Oh and btw, I don't have any family in the Phoenix area...but now that Im here...all my close friends and some family members now want to come out here....Go figure.

Last edited by westcoastbabe; 01-25-2015 at 10:15 AM..

Old 01-25-2015, 09:59 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,439,174 times
Yeah, just go. Don't let your family hold you back. Live life for you.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
Suppose you pass up a great opportunity but then a year or two later much of your family moves away, leaving you stuck there alone and too late to take advantage of that opportunity? When we moved to this state 22 years ago we left family behind, but soon after, moved up my mother in law. My parents came to visit and loved it so much they moved up too, as did a brother and a sister. Now we have more family here than left back in California and we have no regrets.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:14 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,197,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Are you single? Go. If you are married and have kids, you'd probably better stay put.
Would that not depend on where you were and what you had compared to what you might get???

?

Old 01-25-2015, 11:51 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 673,459 times
It depends on the individuals moving. I live in an area where my career prospects are very limited. I have interviewed with out of state companies and welcome to chance to move, but only to certain areas that have appeal to me for a job that would be worth the move. I could still see my family, just a little less often. I could always look into moving back a few years down the road, if I chose to do so. I may not even end up moving depending upon the job search, but these are all things I have personally considered.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:43 PM

403 posts, read 558,259 times
Your family will always be your family whether you live with them or all the way around the world. You can always pick up the phone and call them, or email them, or get on a plane and go visit them. There are also programs like Skype where you can talk to them and see them if you want.

Personally, I'd make the move if family was the only thing holding me back. You say it's a better opportunity for you and your family will understand that. However, you're really the only person that can say what the best choice is for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues