Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 01:55 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,686 times

Advertisements

I visited a couple of apartments today. The application for one of them asks some strange things I haven't seen before at my previous apartments, like your height, weight, eye color, marital status, doctor information. Also not just employment information, but previous employer information. They also require rental insurance.

Is this common?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 02:16 PM

917 posts, read 1,383,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
I visited a couple of apartments today. The application for one of them asks some strange things I haven't seen before at my previous apartments, like your height, weight, eye color, marital status, doctor information. Also not just employment information, but previous employer information. They also require rental insurance.

Is this common?
Rental insurance yes.. Previous employer seems normal as well since they probably want to check your employment status and to check how long you were employed. (making sure youll have a steady income). Ive never seen the other type info on any of my applications

Old 02-09-2015, 07:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Employer both present and past is reference. Some is emergency info. for first responders as well as spousal. Normally they get a non-residing relative or party to notify in emergency also.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:30 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
Height, weight, eye color, martial status, doctor info- no, just no. That can be seen as heading into Fair Housing screening territory and trouble for the landlord. You do not need to answer these questions, they are way out of line.

Employment, current and past, renter's insurance, these are OK to ask.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:56 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,686 times
There were some other strange things too, like in addition to bank name, they wanted a list of credit cards (which they can see when they run a credit report anyway). My last apartment didn't even ask for a bank reference, just proof of income and a credit check. They also want you to make 5x the rent, as opposed to the regular 3x. And perhaps most telling, they have over 20 apartments available.

My old place in a different state didn't require rental insurance. Maybe it varies by what state you're in. Looks like rental insurance is pretty cheap anyway.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:34 PM

30 posts, read 40,756 times
We had the same questions asked about eye and hair color and height and weight. This seems discriminatory to me and not someting they need to know. This was in Tennessee. Odd.....

What would be the reason for asking this??

Old 04-30-2015, 02:34 PM

488 posts, read 857,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
There were some other strange things too, like in addition to bank name, they wanted a list of credit cards (which they can see when they run a credit report anyway). My last apartment didn't even ask for a bank reference, just proof of income and a credit check. They also want you to make 5x the rent, as opposed to the regular 3x. And perhaps most telling, they have over 20 apartments available.

My old place in a different state didn't require rental insurance. Maybe it varies by what state you're in. Looks like rental insurance is pretty cheap anyway.
I think this varies by state. I've noticed it a lot on apartments while researching my move to AZ, but never came across this living in IL or MO. Regardless, renter's insurance makes good sense and I only pay $35 a month for it in a higher crime (statistics-wise) city. It's probably cheaper if you're looking in a smaller town or "safer" city.

When I was looking for apartments in MO the last time I moved, I loved one place, but the landlord was kind of a douche, and then I saw his application - wanted my bank account #, and a few other things I found odd. I tossed the application and kept looking.

5x income is far above normal, but I can kinda see that.

Asking for a list of your credit cards and bank, as well as your appearance statistics just raises red flags. I would keep looking, personally.

Last edited by RubyJune; 04-30-2015 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: spelling and clarification

Old 04-30-2015, 02:42 PM

30 posts, read 40,756 times
Nothing else out of the ordinary-3x rent, credit and background check, DL #, etc....but the personal information sort of surprised me. Nothing like that in NJ.

It is in a brand new community just being built. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:54 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
It may be one of those one size fit ALL applications. It's good for anything.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:08 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
In the day of identity theft, there's no way I would provide information like bank account or credit card numbers.

I would just leave that section blank. If they ask you fill it in, make up something. They have no business running through your bank accounts, anyways. If they try to run your bank account do you think the bank will just give out personal information? If they try to run a fake number and come up cold, do you think they will tell you hey, I was trying to run your bank account and it didn't work. Can you give me that again? Well, then you know they're trying to pry into your personal information.

They probably want your personal description to cut down on people asking for the key who don't belong there, but color eyes and hair can indicate race. Besides, one can always wear sunglasses or colored contacts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues