Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 09:11 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,600,425 times

Advertisements

You'll have to make some hard choices if you want to stay in CA. The luxury apartment for one will have to go and you need something (anything) to do for money.

I've been in your position before, more or less. I ended up having to leave what was new and interesting to go back to what was safe and familiar, and was in a fairly low mood and bad morale about it for awhile. I made a major career change, moved a couple more times and then eventually ended up back in the place I left to finish my unfinished business (here).

Whatever happens life will go on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 09:15 AM

25,381 posts, read 37,114,463 times
A very expensive old saying is "The grass is always greener...on the other side."

Old 02-10-2015, 09:18 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,837,085 times
Can you not land something in california just to pay the bills while you continue a more permanent job search? Go tend bar, do chores for people, work at a restaurant, etc. to pay the bills. California is pretty far from NYC to conduct a job search from here, looking for jobs there. And it's not like you are coming back to your dream, it sounds like you are coming back to a job you weren't happy at that was simply paying the bills before.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:23 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,379,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artis7 View Post
Six months ago, I quit my job and move from NY to CA because I needed a change of scenery; I needed to just get away and try something new. I like CA but I have no family there and I cannot land a job to save my life; my savings are running out. I've only been in NY for 1 week visiting, I interviewed for a temp-to perm job and was offered a position as a Caseworker with a non- profit organization. This job is very similar to what I was doing before I left NY and I was very unhappy with that job. My 6 months lease in CA will expire at the end of this week. It seems obvious that I should take the job and move back to NY but I feel like a failure for moving back so soon and I’m just not ready to give up the life I was building in CA. I have a beautiful luxury apartment in CA and I'll be coming back to my NY apartment I shared with my sister prior to me moving to CA.

However, If I stay in CA I don't know how much longer I will be unemployed and it scares me because I have only $3,000 left in saving before I go completely broke.

I know what I should do but I'm looking for others opinions and using this as a form of therapy to clear my head.

Thank you for your reply.
Damn, life can be cold as ice sometimes. My advise, you had fun, come home, get on your feet. I wouldn't try to move anywhere unless you have a job lined up OR if you have a significant other who can get a job first and keep you guys a float while you find something.

Just so you know my story. I was living in Miami, grew to dislike it terribly. Wanted to move back to NYC. My wife got a job first, so we moved up. I had a cousin who allowed me, my wife and kid to take up residence with him. After two months I got a job and now things are progressing nicely. I would never recommend moving anywhere without a job.

Now as for you feeling some type of way because you have to come home. You gotta lick your wounds and get over that. Chalk it up to the game (of life).

Old 02-10-2015, 09:53 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,421,261 times
The most sensible decision is to cut your losses and run, move back to NYC and take the job that you were offered. Life is not always an Eden of our own creation, and you have to sometimes have to postpone your dreams while you craft a plan to make it a reality. You can always move back to California, since contrary to predictions, the state is not going anywhere anytime soon, as I doubt any of us will be alive to see "The Big One."

I have lived in California on and off at various times, and it can be a very insular place, economically speaking. The weather is generally nice, but that does not compensate for the difficulty in securing a position if you are not in an in-demand industry, where you would likely have a position lined up prior to arriving in the state. I never searched for employment in the state, personally, but have known people who have had difficult transitions when seeking employment, and getting established in the area. Los Angeles is tough, and San Diego can be worse, unless you work in an in-demand field with a specialty. Orange County can be good, but it really depends upon your field.

Every apartment complex can seem like a luxury building, but the construction quality is not the same as a true luxury building, such as those on the Wilshire Corridor between Los Angeles Country Club and Westwood, as well as some buildings in Beverly Hills, for example. So, do not fall into the trap of comparing "new" with "luxury" as most mufti-family structures in New York are significantly older/larger than apartments in California.

Take the job in New York and make a plan for the next time you move to California.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-10-2015, 10:02 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,729,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The most sensible decision is to cut your losses and run, move back to NYC and take the job that you were offered. Life is not always an Eden of our own creation, and you have to sometimes have to postpone your dreams while you craft a plan to make it a reality. You can always move back to California, since contrary to predictions, the state is not going anywhere anytime soon, as I doubt any of us will be alive to see "The Big One."

I have lived in California on and off at various times, and it can be a very insular place, economically speaking. The weather is generally nice, but that does not compensate for the difficulty in securing a position if you are not in an in-demand industry, where you would likely have a position lined up prior to arriving in the state. I never searched for employment in the state, personally, but have known people who have had difficult transitions when seeking employment, and getting established in the area. Los Angeles is tough, and San Diego can be worse, unless you work in an in-demand field with a specialty. Orange County can be good, but it really depends upon your field.

Every apartment complex can seem like a luxury building, but the construction quality is not the same as a true luxury building, such as those on the Wilshire Corridor between Los Angeles Country Club and Westwood, as well as some buildings in Beverly Hills, for example. So, do not fall into the trap of comparing "new" with "luxury" as most mufti-family structures in New York are significantly older/larger than apartments in California.

Take the job in New York and make a plan for the next time you move to California.
doesn't get any better than this.

though i do agree, you could probably get a gig to make ends meet for a few months if you really love it there (bartending can be pretty lucrative).

Old 02-10-2015, 10:37 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,504,287 times
I agree that it's always safer to move somewhere with a job lined up. My dream is to move to CA too, but it's harder than I imagined to find work out there before physically moving there.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:47 AM

379 posts, read 786,358 times
In your shoes (that is, almost out of money) I'd take the job. You didn't fail, you had a cool adventure and now will be starting a new one! While you have the job in NY you can keep looking for jobs in CA without having to panic about your finances.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:51 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,436,382 times
Take the job. California can't be that great place to live if you don't have a job.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,661,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalLover View Post
In your shoes (that is, almost out of money) I'd take the job. You didn't fail, you had a cool adventure and now will be starting a new one! While you have the job in NY you can keep looking for jobs in CA without having to panic about your finances.
Sitting around Sacramento for 6 months in a "luxury" apt is hardly a cool adventure. If the OP traveled around Europe for 6 months that would have been an adventure.

Sacramento doesn't exactly come to mind when you think CA adventure either.

This was foolish.

I agree with the poster who said the OP didn't bother to just get a survival job while looking, anyone who moves somewhere without a job and limited funds, and than rents a luxury apartment isn't thinking clearly.

Renting a studio or inexpensive one bedroom most likely would have bought them more time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
View detailed profiles of: