Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:40 PM

888 posts, read 890,283 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing when you say you can't find a job that what you mean is that you can't find the job you want and this chronic unemployment faces many people who will only work if it's the job they want. I say take a lesson from two generations ago and grab a shovel and go to work. Or pick fruit. A client of mine who has a small peach orchard tried his hardest to find someone willing to pick fruit for $10-$12 an hour and couldn't find one gringo. He had to pinch his nose and hire Pedro the illegal.

There is work here but it may not be the work you want and taking something below you doesn't mean you're stuck with it for the rest of your life. I always tell young people unemployed that they'll look best as a job candidate if they're currently employed.

And ditto what everyone else has said - live within your means. It sounds like you've been living in a zip code you can't afford.

My best to you in your discernment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 11:22 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Sorry to hear this. I cant even imagine moving somewhere without a job and living in luxury accommodations.

Perhaps you could share your qualifications & what type of job you are looking for, so that we can better direct you. Otherwise, the recommendations so far, are right on.

Maybe you could volunteer at Sacramento Loaves & Fishes and get room & board & food in exchange. Sounds like it could be a good fit with your previous experience. Maybe a halfway house. I know there are other agencies & churches that may have the same type of offerings.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:37 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
You need to decide what is right for you. But if you have family and friends here in NYC and have a temporary job offer in NYC (and non on the horizon in California), it sounds like moving back to NYC is the logical thing to do.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:06 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,963 times
interesting. i always wanted to give CA a try.

if i ever did it though, i'd make sure i had something lined up. sounds like you did some poor planning.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:40 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
How did OP have a "beautiful, luxury apartment in CA" but no job??? Definitely sounds like poor planning.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:31 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artis7 View Post
Six months ago, I quit my job and move from NY to CA because I needed a change of scenery; I needed to just get away and try something new. I like CA but I have no family there and I cannot land a job to save my life; my savings are running out. I've only been in NY for 1 week visiting, I interviewed for a temp-to perm job and was offered a position as a Caseworker with a non- profit organization. This job is very similar to what I was doing before I left NY and I was very unhappy with that job. My 6 months lease in CA will expire at the end of this week. It seems obvious that I should take the job and move back to NY but I feel like a failure for moving back so soon and I’m just not ready to give up the life I was building in CA. I have a beautiful luxury apartment in CA and I'll be coming back to my NY apartment I shared with my sister prior to me moving to CA.

However, If I stay in CA I don't know how much longer I will be unemployed and it scares me because I have only $3,000 left in saving before I go completely broke.

I know what I should do but I'm looking for others opinions and using this as a form of therapy to clear my head.

Thank you for your reply.
Ask Nywriterdude. He moved to LA and some how moved back to NYC in no time. Did you move to San Francisco Bay area or Socal?

Old 02-10-2015, 08:56 AM

69 posts, read 93,786 times
Well, dude, it feels like a failure because it was a failure. You didn't plan/save well enough, or quite simply the circumstances were never there to begin with to make your attempt successful.

Here's the thing-- it happens. If everyone was capable of arbitrarily and successfully moving between two of the most expensive areas in the country, you'd certainly have a helluva lot more of it. Give yourself a pat on the back for at least trying.

But now it's time to be an adult. Go back home, work, save up, line up your opportunities, and then make the move.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,773 times
you tube this : Tony Robbins the diff. of a winner and a loser ! this videos is short only 8 minutes but good ! or Jim Rohn ""Secrets" this one is 4 h. long but is excellent. I know how you feel been there, almost gave up. but words of strength is what you need . Someone said once " We are used to see movies that are about 2 h. long where people go from poor to rich they live a life time in those 2 hours,and we believe that thats how it should be" . But in real life it takes probably years ! Have you heard the saying burning desire ? the story of the ones that went to war to a far away land on wooden boats and once they made it to the shore the general ordered to burn the ships and told the soldiers now there is no way to go back so we win or we die ! they won! Simple put,..... burn your bridges behind you so you dont always look for the easy way back when the problems come your way, Keep sowing ,winter does not last for ever ! Good luck !

Old 02-10-2015, 08:59 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,429 times
You've got a three thousand mile wide continent full of cities and towns, many of which are affordable. What is with you people who seem to think that between NYC and the west coast is nothing but a abyss, a deadly void from which few return with their sanity, if at all....

Ah who am I kidding. I wouldn't move to Walmartland if you made me mayor of Atlanta, or gave me a parade & the key to the city of Houston.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:59 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
I'd get a job. And yeah, moving into a luxury apartment without a job was probably not the best idea.

Loaves & Fishes doesn't provide room & board, they are not a shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
View detailed profiles of: