Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 09:40 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,449,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Is this the "new normal" for college grads? Decide on where you want to live and move there hoping to find a job in your field as opposed to finding a job in your field and moving if necessary? The OP isn't a skilled tradesman in a field that's almost always in demand almost anywhere or a guy just looking for any job to pay the rent. He/She's a youngster looking to start a career. IMO, he/she needs to find suitable employment first and foremost, even if that means starting out right in his/her hometown or in Albuquerque, NM or Lincoln, NB.
Pretty much. It's a little different for someone who has years of experience in their friend, but people fresh out of college should be prepared to move without a job. IMO, they are better off that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 06:48 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,221,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Pretty much. It's a little different for someone who has years of experience in their friend, but people fresh out of college should be prepared to move without a job. IMO, they are better off that way.
Maybe that line of thinking is why so many embittered recent college grads are working as barristas and wait staff while plenty of jobs in their fields go begging throughout the country, albeit in cities that will never compete with NYC, Chicago or Boston.

If you're working a crap job and living at home while you're hunting a job in your field, you can look all over the country/region and if you get a job in some other city, you can move there.

If you've already moved across the country to "the city of your dreams" and are working in one or more crap jobs to keep from sleeping in a homeless shelter, you're not even going to look at out-of-town jobs. You're significantly limiting your job search ... and job opportunities.

I've sat on several search committees. Employers are not impressed by a local address, and many, especially in smaller or "unfashionable" cities, welcome people from outside the area because they're looking for new ideas and fresh perspectives.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:34 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,449,207 times
Quote:
Maybe that line of thinking is why so many embittered recent college grads are working as barristas and wait staff while plenty of jobs in their fields go begging throughout the country, albeit in cities that will never compete with NYC, Chicago or Boston.

If you're working a crap job and living at home while you're hunting a job in your field, you can look all over the country/region and if you get a job in some other city, you can move there.

If you've already moved across the country to "the city of your dreams" and are working in one or more crap jobs to keep from sleeping in a homeless shelter, you're not even going to look at out-of-town jobs. You're significantly limiting your job search ... and job opportunities.

I've sat on several search committees. Employers are not impressed by a local address, and many, especially in smaller or "unfashionable" cities, welcome people from outside the area because they're looking for new ideas and fresh perspectives.
I moved cross-country without a job and wound up just fine. I wasn't working in a crap job either. Sometimes you just have to go after what you want. If you can get hired from out of town, then that's great, but most people aren't going to get that lucky.

It's either move without a job or never move.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:05 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,947,688 times
Quote:
Is this the "new normal" for college grads? Decide on where you want to live and move there hoping to find a job in your field as opposed to finding a job in your field and moving if necessary? The OP isn't a skilled tradesman in a field that's almost always in demand almost anywhere or a guy just looking for any job to pay the rent. He/She's a youngster looking to start a career. IMO, he/she needs to find suitable employment first and foremost, even if that means starting out right in his/her hometown or in Albuquerque, NM or Lincoln, NB.
An otherwise good post, but I don't think that there's a Lincoln, New Brunswick; there is a Lincoln, NE, though...

Old 02-23-2015, 04:47 PM

685 posts, read 722,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightfanjm View Post
Hi, I'm senior in college and I will be graduating in May with a Bachelor's degree in Journalism emphasis in Public Relations. I currently live in Los Angeles, California but I want to apply for jobs in other states.

My most desired places from top to bottom are:

1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. Boston

New York City would be my dream place though.

However, I just want to know what advice you can give me to land a job in one of these cities before I actually move there to maximize my chances of getting the job.

Thanks in advance!
I pretty much did what rarog (poster after your initial comment) did. I had friends in nearby states. I changed my phone # and address to my friends' after ensuring that was okay and started applying. It didn't work for me but it may for you. The catch is if you get a call from NYC and they want to see you, be prepared for the price of the plane ticket.

When I was a manager creating a couple of departments, I always looked at the entire resume. That included their home address. If it was out of state, I bypassed it because of the time it would take to
get established with a move. Unfortunately, one guy subbed his resume with a local (NYC) address.
I scheduled the appt. for the morning and he arrived from Boston grumpy - not the way you want to
interview. I couldn't hire the guy. He reminded me of a reality out there that he did what he thought he needed to do to get an interview.

The catch is if you have ANYTHING posted on any social media site, it negates this. The only media site I used was linkedin, so that was a simple change for me (and it was 5.5 years ago - it may have changed).

One other thing... I don't remember how I found this out but it was in a library in Vegas. We considered moving there during the height of the housing market. I didn't have a job there but I did have a job in NJ. I learned that NYC was in the lowest quartile of available IT jobs. Vegas wanted gamer geeks only. If you can find the stats of real jobs available in your three states, that should help you figure out your odds of getting an interview (not a job but an interview).

You may end up working in states not on your top three to get some experience under your belt. Personally, though, you need experience. I don't understand (and you need not explain) why you don't look in LA where you're established to one degree or another.

Good luck out there.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:07 PM

920 posts, read 636,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightfanjm View Post
Hi, I'm senior in college and I will be graduating in May with a Bachelor's degree in Journalism emphasis in Public Relations. I currently live in Los Angeles, California but I want to apply for jobs in other states.

My most desired places from top to bottom are:

1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. Boston

New York City would be my dream place though.

However, I just want to know what advice you can give me to land a job in one of these cities before I actually move there to maximize my chances of getting the job.

Thanks in advance!

When I was in my late 20's, I decided to move to Boston (having spent time for work in both Boston and NYC and knowing I couldn't handle NYC) from Austin, TX. This was before the invention of the interwebs, so I would go to the library and get a copy of the Boston newspapers to find job listings. I planned a one week vacation and then sent resumes to all the firms with openings, explaining my intent to move to Boston and that I would be in town during a specific week and would like an interview if possible. When I arrived in Boston, I hand delivered my resume to a few other firms that had recent open positions, as well. During that week, I had about 5 interviews and received 2 offers. I accepted an offer and spent the rest of the week looking for an apartment.

Once I returned to Austin, I gave my 2 weeks notice, packed up my apartment and two weeks later I was sitting in a tiny studio apartment behind the State House on Beacon Hill and wondering what the heck had I gotten myself into.

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues