Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 03:27 PM

279 posts, read 782,654 times

Advertisements

most likely i wont

see, where i want to move is about 4000 miles away..well i guess my loc gives that away. ive been to the state once for vacation, but i havent been to the specific area that i wish to move to. is there a way i could get around this? since people say you should visit the area before moving. im still in college, so more likely then not im likely not able to see the area in person.

but this is still a bit far off, i plan to finish my degree first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 09:44 PM

382 posts, read 1,069,271 times
I suggest you become involved with the Alaskan thread under the State forums. There are many there who could certainly answer any questions and/or address any concerns you may have. I believe photos would also be available for a specific area, if you ask, or do a search. Hope this will point you in the right direction.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:55 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,067,466 times
I would agree with Sassy. Go on the Alaska forum and ask around. Most people are very helpful and will answer any questions you may have about a specific area. Also, you can research the area you're looking into, read the local newpapers, listen to the radio stations online, find out whats going on locally, that'll give you a better idea of the place.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:05 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,274 times
We moved to Texas and my husband was the only one to see where we lived before we got there. I had been to Houston twice as a child to visit family but what I remembered the area to look like was a whole lot different (more rural) than now. What we did was utilized Google Earth. While you can't see everything, it does give you an idea of what neighborhoods look like. How close the houses are, how far from schools, stores etc..It was really handy. We looked at it so much, we had a mental map of the area by the time we got here.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:43 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Every time Uncle Sam handed me a set of orders, I went somewhere I'd never seen before...and this was before the internet! (Fortunately, there were other resources, such as the Air Force's Sponsorship program that provides someone at the new assignment to send you info and help you get settled in at the new base)

Old 01-16-2008, 08:49 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I neither could nor would ever move anywhere without a recent visit. Taking a vacation someplace and living there are two different things. I would want to go and check out housing, school, crime, weather, talk to locals, restaurants activities, medical facilities etc. I'd go at least a week if not 2 or 3. I know that can be easier said than done but I think it is worth it over moving someplace soooo far away and then realizing your made a wrong choice.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:32 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
Well i guess what is the reason for moving? If its for a job or some such then it really doesnt matter where you live until you get settled. IMO I would make sure the job is everything its cracked up to be before I put down roots. I would try to find temporary housing at an extended stay hotel, or furnished apt with no more than a 6 month lease. Get familiar with the area, ask co-workers for recommendations. THEN try to find a more permanent place. If your married or have kids this makes it much harder (just cause your in college doesnt mean you dont have these issues) but temp housing is a wonderful thing as long as you know and bide by the fact that it is only temporary.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:25 PM

947 posts, read 3,572,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Every time Uncle Sam handed me a set of orders, I went somewhere I'd never seen before...and this was before the internet! (Fortunately, there were other resources, such as the Air Force's Sponsorship program that provides someone at the new assignment to send you info and help you get settled in at the new base)
I've worked on the air in Marks Mississippi.... Cocoa Florida.........Williston North Dakota....Madbury/Dover/Rochester/Portsmouth New Hampshire and Abbeville/Greenwood South Carolina.

i don't have and probably will NEVER have the luxury of visiting an area before I move.. time constraints and job responsibilities don't allow it.

Plus, I usually get to town on a Thursday or Friday, meet the new staff briefly and am on my own for the weekend to explore.. and having never been in town, it's kinda fun to spend the weekend discovering thigns for yourself.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:57 PM

279 posts, read 782,654 times
im trying to plan something so i can see it, but i dunno if itll happen though. its not for a job. its still a few years off as im finishing college first. and im single and most likely staying that way

Old 01-20-2008, 04:00 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
It's a lot easier to move to the unknown when young than after you've settled down and acquired a lot of stuff. If you end up not liking it, then you get another job in another place. A lot people who moved to AK liked it for awhile then wanted to move elsewhere. Others find they love it and want to stay. In your 20s it is easy to try something that seems adventurous and give it up when your ready.

I say go for it. Just consider it an adventure and learning experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues