Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 07:29 AM

676 posts, read 940,239 times

Advertisements

We bought a house in Fl and we are from out of state. The house needs paint on the inside and some new flooring. We have no time/money to spend coming down and doing this. We HAVE to move and then do it. How do we do that ? Do each room and move everything out of that room ? Then put the stuff in the painted room and move on ? I just need some advice. Has anyone done this ? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 08:11 AM

7,267 posts, read 7,139,131 times
move in but keep things away from the walls until they are painted, then put things in their final places

Old 06-18-2015, 02:18 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,111,506 times
Put it all in the garage. Paint the rooms, and then move the stuff in.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:56 PM

2,097 posts, read 3,822,638 times
Keep anything breakable boxed up and in the garage. I'd hang any pictures now then remove them just leaving the nail or hanger in the wall. This way if you make a mistake you're not fixing a newly painted wall. Try and keep rooms as cleared out as possible and get some furniture sliders and put them under any heavy pieces. This way the painters can just slide the furniture to the center of the room to get to the walls. Then after they're done you can position your furniture where you want it,lift the sides up and remove the sliders.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:20 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,795,787 times
Don't unpack except for what you need. First paint then flooring. If it's going to be a short term project (couple of weeks) then maybe leave the stuff in the garage. I personally wouldn't want to leave stuff in a garage in FL for very long because of the heat, bugs and humidity. When I remodeled, they worked on one or two rooms at a time and I moved the stuff between rooms.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:32 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,049,473 times
Here is what we are doing...with a long schedule and a painting a little at a time.

Tthe priority room was left empty. We put the furniture for that room in the second priority room, and the furniture for the second priority room in the third room and so forth.

We recently finished the first priority room. So we moved the furniture for that room from the second priority room into the room it belongs in--the completed room. Now the second priority room can be started. And it is empty

We 'live' in the room with the correct furniture, moving our 'bedroom' as the furniture moves.

So, for us, now only my daughter is in the correct room.

With time everyone will be in the correct room. This lets us use our stuff, but not move it around too much extra.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:42 AM

174 posts, read 259,146 times
Lae60, it sounds like you have a good system. Painting is always a pain, but it seems that your organized style has the least negative impact on daily living. We'll have to keep that in mind for our future painting projects.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:02 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,944,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
We bought a house in Fl and we are from out of state. The house needs paint on the inside and some new flooring. We have no time/money to spend coming down and doing this. We HAVE to move and then do it. How do we do that ? Do each room and move everything out of that room ? Then put the stuff in the painted room and move on ? I just need some advice. Has anyone done this ? Thanks
I am going through this right now. Like you, I had no time to get any painting...or cleaning!...done prior to move in. Since I had no idea when I'd even begin that huge painting process I just went ahead and put things where I wanted them. Fortunately the floors are great and they are all wood or laminate which makes moving things so much easier than if they were carpeted. I did the guest bedroom first partly because it's a small room and it was empty! My office will be the hardest one because everything in it is heavy. Also the kitchen and laundry rooms but those will come 'down the road'. I think your idea of moving/painting/returning is about the best solution. I know that's what I'm having to do and it's really not that bad. The fact that I have to do all this by myself does make it a tad more difficult but nothing I can't get a handle on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues