Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 05:32 AM

22 posts, read 35,961 times

Advertisements

What is acceptable to leave behind for the new owners of the home (we are moving to an apartment)? I suppose asking them what they would want would be the best bet! I am thinking things like a lawnmower, weed whacker, associated gas cans, garden tools (rakes/shovels/edger), mulch matching what was recently laid, etc. How much is generally ok to leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 08:19 AM

496 posts, read 552,842 times
Please, please ask them (through your realtor, probably). We had tenants in our house while we were overseas, who "gifted" us with serviceable items they didn't want. Things like mirrors, framed prints, decorative items, a few household items, two children's sleds, and a few shelving units in the garage.

I don't think they were trying to save money. The items in question would have added almost nothing to the cost of their short-distance move. It seems they simply thought "we might like it." They didn't ask the property manager; they just left the items here and there throughout the house.

We didn't want any of it, and now we had to get rid of the stuff ourselves.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:08 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades9323 View Post
I am thinking things like a lawnmower, weed whacker, associated gas cans, garden tools (rakes/shovels/edger), mulch matching what was recently laid, etc. How much is generally ok to leave?
Hold a yard sale and then ask them about what's left.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:17 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
I left behind my Weather Station that was installed in the house

A Binder of Appliance packets, list of vendor I used.

Peg Board in the garage, and hanging hooks for bikes and tools on the wall. (Not the bikes or tools), Also the Town issued Recycle Bins.

O.. My "Frog" water alarm in the basement, Sometimes the A/C condensate pump would not kick on when full and over flow into its overflow pan, then onto the basement floor.
The Frog would to off when water was in the overflow pan.

Leak Frog LF001 Water Alarm - - Amazon.com

Last edited by flyonpa; 06-19-2015 at 10:31 AM..

Old 06-19-2015, 10:19 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades9323 View Post
What is acceptable to leave behind for the new owners of the home (we are moving to an apartment)? I suppose asking them what they would want would be the best bet! I am thinking things like a lawnmower, weed whacker, associated gas cans, garden tools (rakes/shovels/edger), mulch matching what was recently laid, etc. How much is generally ok to leave?

Honestly I think it is best to ask what they would want you to leave behind.
Make a list of the things you think would be useful and pass them along to their realtor.
If there is anything on the list they may want they can let the realtor know who in turn can let your realtor know.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:13 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times
The previous owners of our house had a wooden picnic table and a few wood planters nailed to the back fence. Since they were getting rid of everything to live/travel in an RV they asked us if we wanted it and I said sure, less for me to have to buy and less for them to have to dispose of. Then they told me how much they wanted for it, garage sale style .... In the end I did pay them but seriously, it was peanuts and should have just been a freebie since I paid them handsomely for the house already!

In my old house I left behind, without asking, a small roll top desk in the kitchen that matched the cabinets. It sat under a window in a space that couldn't be used for much else and practically looked built in. I don't know if they kept it or not but I had no place for it and figured they could use it as a place for the telephone, like I had, since the jack was on the wall right under it (pre cordless phone days).

Old 06-19-2015, 03:37 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
I only left behind those things that went with the house, like paint, tiles or other spare parts.

Don't leave anything that doesn't belong with the house.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:42 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
We left nothing other than paint, flooring, air filters, and stuff like that.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:55 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
O Yea, forgot the three can's of paints I left behind.

Did wind up with the shelf from the freezer being packed. Had taken it out to wash, and some how it got boxed.

UPS'ed it back when I found it a week later during unpack of that box.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:28 PM

174 posts, read 257,582 times
IMO, it's best to list the items, especially if they are larger and give the list to the realtor so the buyer has a chance to say yes or no. When we moved into our current house, we found several things left behind. The stack of ceramic tiles was okay, but the bag of cement...NO. The previous owner did not plan properly and left garbage and other junk in the garage (a bed, extra window blinds etc.) They had made arrangements to have someone come and dispose of the items but left town before it was taken care of. It was an inconvenience for us, but at least the stuff was finally taken away. It's funny how people are different. We always leave a place better than the way we found it. That's just the way we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues