Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 09:42 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
You are dreaming. Nobody is going to rent you a truck for less then $500. Anyway that would be a one way rental. You are talking about the drivers driving the truck back to Colorado Springs. That doubles the price. Plus all the extra days you want to have the drivers sitting with you in Phoenix. Your plan is not realistic, unless you have a crazy amount of money to spend on this move.
1. I have a confirmed quote of less than $500 for a small truck for the things I need for my first 3 months down there.

2. I have said NOTHING about anyone staying with me in Phoenix. Where do you dream this stuff up? In fact, I said, "No problem that I foresee once I get to Phoenix".

You are not helpful. Please stay out of the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 09:45 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
I do not believe Budget or anyone else but U-haul will rent a "Van" one way. Usually the smallest one-way rentals are the 10 foot cutaways (van front box back). U-haul does not state they rent vans one way but since Phoenix is their HQ and technical center, they may have a "van" that needs to get to Phoenix so they let one ways rental for that trip. It's also possible for a one way for $500 for that leg. I suspect the quote may be for a same location rental but those extra miles may be steep when it's actually returned.

The issue will be drivers. Sure you can get anyone to drive a vehicle if you pay them and pay their expenses. Usually nothing happens but unless hiring a licensed professional driver, if anything happens, the mess will be expensive to clear up.

I wonder if it's possible to rent a RV from Cruise America and just take their sweet time with the drive. They can travel when you like with the pet and not have to worry about stops as any rest area will do. Additionally, although traveling through he deserts, you're on interstates the entire way and 25, 40 and 17 are not desolate by any stretch of the imagination. Just look at the backups on 40 if there's an accident; not some lonely road but a major east west commerce route. Plus it's only about 11 hours from Colorado springs to Phoenix. Add a few extra for refueling and a couple meals, you can easily make it in one day.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:57 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
2. I have said NOTHING about anyone staying with me in Phoenix. Where do you dream this stuff up? In fact, I said, "No problem that I foresee once I get to Phoenix".
You don't even remember saying this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The problem for me is moving me and my pet (a parrot), my car, and a small rental truck with belongings I need immediately. I would need a driver for my car, to transport me and my pet, probably stay overnight 2 or 3 nights before arriving in Phoenix. I would need a second driver to drive the small rental truck and stay with us on the road (in case of breakdown, etc.). Then they could drive the truck back or fly back once I am basically settled in a rental home..

Last edited by KaaBoom; 07-04-2015 at 10:12 PM..

Old 07-04-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I do not believe Budget or anyone else but U-haul will rent a "Van" one way. Usually the smallest one-way rentals are the 10 foot cutaways (van front box back). U-haul does not state they rent vans one way but since Phoenix is their HQ and technical center, they may have a "van" that needs to get to Phoenix so they let one ways rental for that trip. It's also possible for a one way for $500 for that leg. I suspect the quote may be for a same location rental but those extra miles may be steep when it's actually returned.

The issue will be drivers. Sure you can get anyone to drive a vehicle if you pay them and pay their expenses. Usually nothing happens but unless hiring a licensed professional driver, if anything happens, the mess will be expensive to clear up.

I wonder if it's possible to rent a RV from Cruise America and just take their sweet time with the drive. They can travel when you like with the pet and not have to worry about stops as any rest area will do. Additionally, although traveling through he deserts, you're on interstates the entire way and 25, 40 and 17 are not desolate by any stretch of the imagination. Just look at the backups on 40 if there's an accident; not some lonely road but a major east west commerce route. Plus it's only about 11 hours from Colorado springs to Phoenix. Add a few extra for refueling and a couple meals, you can easily make it in one day.
Thank you for a good post, Rabrrita!

The quote I have is with a discount I get for being a member of an organization, so yes, it is about right, and unlimited mileage.

I will have to look into the driver situation you mentioned. Good point.

Wow, you must drive fast! :-) Looks to me more like a reasonable 15 hours...I don't like to push it, and I do get over-tired easily. But I'll look that over again.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:11 PM

Just to update:

Today, the national truck rental company called me to confirm the following offer: $468 one way for a 5-day rental, unlimited mileage. That's with an AAA discount.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:01 PM

4 posts, read 2,184 times
I do have some questions. Are you looking for someone to volunteer to drive you or are you willing to pay someone a fee?

Old 07-30-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
You don't even remember saying this?
By settled in the rental home, I meant basically the time it would take to unload the items in the truck. And maybe rest for an hour. After all, the rental home will be fully furnished.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpahnka View Post
I do have some questions. Are you looking for someone to volunteer to drive you or are you willing to pay someone a fee?
Oh, I fully expect to pay someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues