Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 04:36 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,427,309 times

Advertisements

If your mum says she's going to support you for a year, why not try and make the best of it? I'm not saying to go out every night, or sit on the couch playing video games, but explore a culture that you haven't been in for a long time. You have roughly 6 months left of being there for a year for your mother's sake, why not try and make the best of it?

Your current attitude *might* be contributing to your lack of employment; you might be not bringing your best foot forward in interviews. Of course, I don't know what your skill level/ job market is.

Like willow wind asked, what are your long terms goals? How can you work towards them in the next 6 months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 09:44 AM

13 posts, read 12,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Does she say that because she's worked in corporate and sees potential in you?

If so, do that and suck it up for a year. You may find you're in better shape there than you would be in the US.

If not, go to school.

But stay for at least a year. The US is on the edge of a major economic downturn, so stick it out for now. You may find that you are much better off there, even with the culture shock.

No she did estate agency for a couple of years and gave that up, other than that she has never worked. I just feel my heart is not here.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
If your mum says she's going to support you for a year, why not try and make the best of it? I'm not saying to go out every night, or sit on the couch playing video games, but explore a culture that you haven't been in for a long time. You have roughly 6 months left of being there for a year for your mother's sake, why not try and make the best of it?

Your current attitude *might* be contributing to your lack of employment; you might be not bringing your best foot forward in interviews. Of course, I don't know what your skill level/ job market is.

Like willow wind asked, what are your long terms goals? How can you work towards them in the next 6 months?
I see your point, and you are probably right, Its different over here you need a qualification for everything, I really want to study nutrition, but here I have to start fro scratch, take entry level tests. It would be easier in NY. my heart is in America. I'm living in a tiny town and there really is nothing to explore. I am signed up for a gym and taking courses to get higher levels of education.. Thank you for your advice

Old 10-02-2015, 10:05 AM

3,508 posts, read 766,278 times
disappointed is hardly a strong emotion .. go back home ...

Old 10-02-2015, 10:28 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England11 View Post
Thank you for your advice... I do care about her happiness, I know that if I leave she will never let it go. I don't want to ruin our relationship or feel guilty. I want t go back to school and she doesn't agree with that either. she thinks I should get a job in corporate. She will say do what you want but then say why it's not a good idea. I don't really know how to approach it. I want to prove to her that I can do it.

Why would you feel guilty? She's an adult, not a pet or a dependent child. She needs to deal with her life, and you need to live your life for you. You don't live your life for someone else, you live it for you.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Why would you feel guilty? She's an adult, not a pet or a dependent child. She needs to deal with her life, and you need to live your life for you. You don't live your life for someone else, you live it for you.
Thank you

Old 10-03-2015, 06:40 AM

730 posts, read 1,314,577 times
You might approach your mother in this way: tell her that you want only her happiness, and you're sure that she wants only your happiness. If you're unhappy, chances are you will be unhappy in 6 months.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post
You might approach your mother in this way: tell her that you want only her happiness, and you're sure that she wants only your happiness. If you're unhappy, chances are you will be unhappy in 6 months.
I agree with what you are saying completely and I honestly don't wan to waste time.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:29 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England11 View Post
Hi,

I moved back to England about 5 months ago. I was born here but have lived in Florida/ NYC since I was eight so I am American pretty much. I haven't been able to settle into a job I like or settle in anywhere at all. I live with my parents at the moment which is difficult because I'm used to having my own place. Even though I am living with them it just doesn't feel like home to me. I have been missing New York and really want to go back. The problem is that my mum said she would be disappointed if I didn't give it a year, but I feel I am sticking it out for her and I hate it. What should I do? Should I give it a year?
Where in the uk are you based? Like anything I'd stick something out BUT if your homesick I'd go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
England sucks, I can imagine why you are in such culture shock.

I'd leave. Life's too short.
In what way?

Old 10-03-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Where in the uk are you based? Like anything I'd stick something out BUT if your homesick I'd go back.

In what way?

I'm in somerset right now, but for the first two months I was in London
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues