Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:58 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliekristine629 View Post
Here's the deeper "poop" folks: (Nuthin' but the facts)

Background:
* Home seller inherited the home from her late BF who passed away 5 years ago.
* His 3 children expected to receive the house, along with all his cash.
* His son, who was executor, disputed the seller getting house and half the cash.
* In court, she was awarded the home and cash, 4 years ago.
* Home seller is quickly running out of money, and is a heavy drinker.
* She must sell home, and told us she doesn't want to leave, in spite of neighbor.
(she must love a good fight)

Current:
* Home is under contract by us.
* Home sale has been delayed since we can't get title insurance. Title agent wants to see trust
that awarded her the house. Seller threw out trust after court, and kids won't cough it up.
Attorney representing estate has also "misplaced" it.

* Seller hired an attorney to get court to declare a lost trust. Might take affidavits from parties.
* Seller appreciates our patience, and has offered to lower price by 4%.

* I briefly said "hello" to this neighbor and her husband during the home inspection. They did look "rough", but I try not to judge people.
That said, I kind of felt like she was sizing me up. I guess I was doing the same, having heard the stories from the home seller.
I wonder why you didnt include these details originally. IMO, the new poop adds to the previous opinions to move on. And leave this stinking mess behind.

But, it is quite clear that you want to stay & buy. In that case, go for it, and then report back & let us know how it's going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 10:02 PM

32,938 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It is very easy to sway public perception... people are quick to form ideas based on hearsay... it is human nature.

It also takes a little work and willingness to do your own due diligence...

My worst ever neighbor turned out to be in my best neighbood... he was a self absorbed petty man that also happened to be a lawyer... people avoided him and he put the family that owned the lot across the street through the wringer and they spent 7 years trying to build... said he liked the look of the street as-is if he had anything to do with it they would never build or be so expensive they wished they had not started.

In the end the lawyer ended up buying the property for very little and built a spec home... just before selling and moving...

I don't know... given drug dealers or a thug lawyer... I have done better with drug dealers...
Sometimes you just have to roll up your sleeves... and manage the hand you've been dealt.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:20 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Run away! Run away!

Old 10-27-2015, 11:34 PM

68 posts, read 126,196 times
Do not buy the house. Do whatever you need to do to get out of the purchase.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:31 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Not in a million years. I'd rather live in a worse house with better neighbors. Something else will come along. Don't make the rest of your life miserable to get in on a good deal.
totally agree , I suffered awful neighbours in a council flat for years... my nerves were frazzled, police were involved too it go so bad with fights, parties, house break ins. dirt and destroying property by the morons.. It took me 13 years of asking the housing department for a move who werent interested in the better neighours who kept the place nice si I blame them more for not coming out to see what was going on in the district especially at night time.. No wonder places get run down when the authorities dont give a damn.... Now I live in a great street with decent lovely neighbours and why I woudlnt dream of moving ever, Im so happy to be here and have peace at last..

Old 10-28-2015, 07:05 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I get what you're saying but in my opinion I'd rather start in a good situation and risk it turning bad then start out in a bad situation and hope it got better.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:22 AM

773 posts, read 786,528 times
I built a house and lived in it for 28 years. The house next door changed hands 6 times - that's 7 neighbors in 28 years. There was a park on the other side of my house. Whew!

Some of the owners were good, some bad, one was rather weird. But none of them created a living hell for me because I wouldn't become a participant in a feud. The bad ones usually wanted to change the neighborhood to their liking and complained a lot.

One didn't like trees and complained my trees were littering leaves on their property. I just told them you can't control Mother Nature and, no, I will not chop down my trees. They stopped talking to me. Which was good.

Another never mowed his lawn. I sent my son over who offered to mow it for a fee. My son made money and the lawn was maintained.

There were more stories but the idea is you can work with just about anyone if you don't allow things to escalate. No matter how bad the neighbors are, just don't let them drag you down into their world.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:28 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Neighbors are fluid. They come and they go. It could just as easily happen that you move into a new house with the most wonderful neighbors, and in 2 months they move, and sell to neighbors from hell.

Your life will be miserable if you let others dictate how you will live. I have yet to see any real solid evidence that these neighbors are that bad. Its all been heresay. What if you pass on the house because of them, and in 2 months they move. How would you feel then?

Old 10-28-2015, 09:24 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Neighbors are fluid. They come and they go. It could just as easily happen that you move into a new house with the most wonderful neighbors, and in 2 months they move, and sell to neighbors from hell.

Your life will be miserable if you let others dictate how you will live. I have yet to see any real solid evidence that these neighbors are that bad. Its all been heresay. What if you pass on the house because of them, and in 2 months they move. How would you feel then?
yes they can come and go but moving when a person already knows history is madness. no way would I take the chance ever again of moving with a family with history... its not worth ruining health and it does... One of my neighbours from the past was drunk one night and with his two brothers threw bricks at my bedroom window smashing it right through the venetian blind and landing next to my weeks old babys cot.... the glass was everywhere... I woudlnt wish that kind of stress and worry on anyone.. its not right and not fair.. and guess what.... the police wouldnt do a thing, as the family involved were bad news and the police said it would make matters worse if they arrested them... I wonder what would have happened if my baby would have been hurt or worse.... Sometimes the bad neighbours take control over more than other residents.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:34 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliekristine629 View Post
We have a contract to buy a home in a southern state. It will be our retirement home, where we hope to stay a long while.

Problem is, we've learned that the neighbor has been a real problem with the current homeowner. The homes and lot lines are very close to each other.

The neighbor has lived in her home for about one year. She and her husband don't work, and don't quite fit with the rest of the neighbors. They seem to have a means of support, but no class. She and her husband have allegedly lived in 15 places over the last 20 years, according to the seller.

Our home seller and her "got into it" last year. The neighbor keeps an excessive amount of dogs, and reportedly beats them. She used to throw the dog poop into the canal/river behind the house until the home seller reported this.

The neighbor also likes to feed the sea gulls near our property line, causing the birds to poop all over our dock and pool area. Just this week, she told our home seller to go F*#@ herself, when asked to politely stop.

Last year, the neighbor and our home seller signed a court agreement to not interfere or butt heads with one another. Seems like this is not working.

Our home seller, whom we've spoken to often, tells how much she can't wait to move and get away from this neighbor. When we tell her this worries US, she says not to worry, since "there's two of you". That one of us can be a witness.

While we're awaiting our closing, we're having second thoughts on the purchase. There are very few homes in our price range in this area, so it's hard to walk on this home.

Would you buy this house? Assume no battle lines, and hope for the best?
That homeowner is saying whatever they can to sell their home. There's history there, is that really what you want to subject yourself to for the remainder of your days, (since you said it would be your retirement home)?

I wouldn't buy it if it was free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues