Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 10:23 AM

5 posts, read 6,688 times

Advertisements

Maybe behind the curve, but looking for a new geographical location in the West to settle when we quit the grind. We have narrowed the search down to smaller towns in western Colorado, Boise area, and in northern AZ or southern Utah. This doesn't help much.

We've got skills and have already relocated many times for our career - in health care. So, not a new process. But, we are at the tail end of the baby boomers and typically "blended" with remarriage and kids and grandkids who have done us the service of repeating our actions by spreading out as far as they can before having their own children.

Have read way too may "how to" books, made a rudimentary spreadsheet and started planning the "scouting trips." And agreed - there are no short cuts to research. However, finding our "group" has been difficult.

Part of our dilemma is that we are demographically identified as not too late to be baby boomers but late enough to be in one of the final "waves." The resources we've found so far usually turn out to be too generalized and too overwhelming. But, posts from these forums have been quite helpful to read and encouraging. It would be great to have feedback on how people like us have adjusted, have come up with answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 10:51 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,613,193 times
Maybe you're over-thinking the decision.

I don't really understand what you mean by finding your "group" . . . people move and change so much that it's last on my list of considerations.

I look more at:

* Hospitals -- excellent outcomes and enough colleges nearby so the workforce is educated (fewer mistakes!)

* High employment -- When people are working, they steal less and do fewer drugs

* "Culture" -- for me, that means bookstores, historical/genealogy societies, festivals, and weekend events at the state fair grounds (or similar)

* Senior programs -- (examples: cheap college tuition programs, senior centers, senior activities)

* A COL in line with my budget

* Walking/bus/biking options -- a culture that is at least half-way encouraging of these modes

* Weather I can tolerate -- I don't do high heat well

For me, none of the places on your list are that appealing. N. AZ and S. Utah don't have great medical care, plus they are deserts, which I wouldn't want to live in. If you're thinking St. George and are non-Mormon, I'd re-think that. If you are Mormon, that might be a good fit, but you'll have to go to SLC for care, unless they did build that the cancer center/alt health facility in St. George.

Boise -- maybe in a few years. My opinion is that it's not "senior friendly," (added: I know their Chamber claims that they are, but seniors I know there complain that it's still a "younger" city with more of a youth culture) although very good for other ages. There is a large LDS population there.

W. CO is the best on your list. I, personally, don't want anything to do with that state because it gets more liberal (CA transplants) with more and more weird laws (can't cache your own rainwater) with each passing year. There's just too much that would annoy me, but you might find your spot.

I like Des Moines a lot, but I can see the winters becoming too harsh for me as I get older. I also need to be in a different house, a smaller place with less yard, so hiring shoveling, etc., is not a deal breaker.

I don't know what I'm going to do, but I don't want to be that far from the decent hospital systems around here. Having quality care in an emergency can mean the difference between going home and resuming an independent life or getting botched care and ending up in a facility! Not enough retirees consider that aspect carefully, in my opinion.

Last edited by Meemur; 11-08-2015 at 11:02 AM..

Old 11-08-2015, 02:33 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
Flagstaff is nice. Not that big if you like smaller cities. 60K population I think. University there and a hospital. You can be down to Phoenix in 2- 2 1/2 hours for great hospitals, doctors, shopping, etc. when you need it. The weather isn't too bad. They get snow, but it melts fast I've heard from people living there. The downtown is cute, very nice. We had looked there to get away from large sprawling Phoenix, but ended up staying in Phoenix and moving back East years later.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:26 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
Three super-Red States-vs-Colorado? This may prove important. And Utah and Colorado are 2 of the 13 states that tax Social Security. Religion is a factor in Utah. Many things to consider.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:20 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,447,826 times
Instead of Colorado, consider East Texas. It gets real cold in Utah,, Colorado, been there done that. You get older,you get less cold tolerant. Consider Nacogdoches, Longview, Tyler areas. Good health care and hospitals, employment opportunities, relatively inexpensive prices, and no income taxes.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:18 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Instead of Colorado, consider East Texas. It gets real cold in Utah,, Colorado, been there done that. You get older,you get less cold tolerant. Consider Nacogdoches, Longview, Tyler areas. Good health care and hospitals, employment opportunities, relatively inexpensive prices, and no income taxes.
Yes but pretty geographically boring and INCREDIBLY hot 3-4 months a year.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:08 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,613,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Yes but pretty geographically boring and INCREDIBLY hot 3-4 months a year.
Heat is my main objection to TX, as well. Otherwise, I agree that it has a lot to offer a retiree.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:24 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
You might want to post in the retirement forum. Check out that forum. There have been a lot of posts about how to choose a spot and what to consider, etc.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:59 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmw97 View Post
Maybe behind the curve, but looking for a new geographical location in the West to settle when we quit the grind. We have narrowed the search down to smaller towns in western Colorado, Boise area, and in northern AZ or southern Utah. This doesn't help much.
In northern Arizona, Prescott is the classic retirement destination. There will be people of your "group" there. Health care in the immediate area is about average but the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale (90 or so minutes away) is the number one rated hospital in Arizona.

It's a 4-season area. There are lots of volunteer opportunities, if that's important to you. There is limited public transportation; the locals don't want more and won't pay for it. There's a picture-postcard downtown, with Courthouse Square.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:07 PM

5 posts, read 6,688 times
Default Boomer retirement in West US towns

Thank you for the comments. You have given us good information to discuss and consider. I have also reposted in the retirement thread, as advised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues