Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 04:03 PM

741 posts, read 478,454 times

Advertisements

So I am a social work Masters student finishing in May and taking my exam soon. In Ohio I can take the clinical exam and get my LSW then get the supervision hours and not have to take a second exam. I want to find a job in Jacksonville NC, TN or KY. The issue is I know Ohio's pass score is 70 and some other states require 75 so will I have to retake the exam in the state I move to even if I pass here? Will I still be considered an LSW because I took the clinical? I am just concerned because I am really thinking about moving I really want to and I feel like I am going to end up stuck here in OH. I would wait and find a job, move and take the exam but I already paid and scheduled it. Help me!?

Old 02-06-2016, 05:16 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
First, you should call the agency conducting the exam and ask about the transfer-ability of your results.

Second, a little Googling found this at the website for the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB).

"Official score transfers and duplicate score reports

Your official passing score may be transferred to another jurisdiction at any time in the future by sending a completed Official Score Transfer Request form to ASWB. The fee for a score transfer is US$40. A copy of this form
in the free resources section of www.aswb.org. Score transfers may also be requested online at www.aswb.org or by calling 888.579.3926"

Good luck in your efforts.......

Old 02-06-2016, 08:08 PM

846 posts, read 1,399,997 times
I'm a social worker myself, and scores can be transferred fairly easily. However, each state has different licensure requirements for the LCSW. For example, what may pass you in Arizona for the LCSW may not pass you in Illinois or Idaho. So be mindful of that. In addition, the amount of required LCSW supervision hours vary greatly. During my BSW education, we were always advised to go to graduate school where you want to be licensed. In addition, certain states require you to have your LSW/LMSW prior to your LCSW, so be mindful of that as well.

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2016, 03:10 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab12 View Post
So I am a social work Masters student finishing in May and taking my exam soon. In Ohio I can take the clinical exam and get my LSW then get the supervision hours and not have to take a second exam. I want to find a job in Jacksonville NC, TN or KY. The issue is I know Ohio's pass score is 70 and some other states require 75 so will I have to retake the exam in the state I move to even if I pass here? Will I still be considered an LSW because I took the clinical? I am just concerned because I am really thinking about moving I really want to and I feel like I am going to end up stuck here in OH. I would wait and find a job, move and take the exam but I already paid and scheduled it. Help me!?
You won't retake, but you do have to apply for lic. And double check ahead any state your considering...there is no standard between states... all might require different creds.
Easy to check online for each state.
Try to ace your test...they do share %, at least at state level...that has been my experience. Good luck to you.
PS Check for job ops that will pay for your student loans...i.e. under privileged communities..your soc work student adviser should be able to direct you to those ops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.