Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 03:39 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post
Any tips on getting motivated to pack? We are moving soon and it just feels so overwhelming. I've already packed a few boxes but when I look at all the stuff we have I don't know where to start. SO what do I do instead? Watch tv, read a book or something more pleasant than packing. I can't get out of my lazy mode and I know I will be paying for it big time once the moving date gets closer. We have two small kids so its hard to schedule time to pack because they want to dig in the boxes and they both take naps at different times. We don't have a babysitter so its hard.

I keep telling myself that I'm gonna wake up at 6am each morning and pack some boxes...That has yet to happen! LOL
Best way is to start in one room and move on. Take the stuff you don't need first. Pack breakables carefully and early and keep them seperate. And when you've got a room done in this first sweep, reward youself. Works for kids and adults. Pick the reward before hand.

When it gets closer scedule. The last thing you want is three days before your going tossing things in boxes. Make a minimum number of boxes a day. Then reward yourself again.

And taking it slow and steady you won't get (too much) of that last minute panic. But keep some open boxes for the last minute tossing things in that you forgot about too.

And remember it will be over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 05:24 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
My husband got offered a job in Naples Fl, we currently live in Keene NH. We're relocating back to where we came from and I'm so excited. The thing is we don't know when we'll be moving, hes a police officer and has to go through polygraphs, background checks which they told us would take up to 4-6 weeks and lots of other tests before he can work. With my thinking he'll do all his other testing first while they're working on the background so we're looking at 6-8 weeks till we relocate respectivly...
When do you start packing for a relocation this big? again lol.. Last time we moved up it was odd cause he came up first and we just put everything in storage and I lived with my mother so I only had my clothes. That won't be so this time around.. Should I just start taking down the knicknacks and packing up the dvd's and blankets etc or you think its too soon? I'm terrible at this stuff lol and my husband HATES it so I ge the infamous I don't care answers from him.. I don't want to start too soon and have to be digging through boxes come 3 weeks from now looking for things. Ahhh this moving stuff is a drag
Start going through and finding out what you need and don't need or don't want. Then have a yard sale! Or, if you hate the yard sale idea, call Goodwill or Salvation Army to come and get it all. In my small town there is a club that raises money for Christmas food baskets by having garage sales from time to time. If you have a yard sale and don't want to have to repack what didn't sell, call this club. Everything will be picked up within an hour of when you call them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues