Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 08:33 PM

187 posts, read 226,941 times

Advertisements

There are pros and cons for each city. I'd appreciate ANY input!

I won't be moving for 2 years. I will graduate with a BSN. But thinking about moving is really motivating to me because I don't like the area I live in now, so I just plan a lot!

My first pick is Orlando, Fl. Pros are my mom is moving there too, I love everything in the area from theme parks to the city and have visited often, I like the weather, good pediatric hospitals around, good schools to continue my education, will be cheaper to live with my mom!
The major con is that I have dogs who are very active and I don't know if they can tolerate the weather, plus there's gators, fire ants, and those things. This is a major con. I love hiking with my dogs and I don't know if I want to give that up, even for everything I love about Orlando.

My 2nd choice is Charlotte, NC. My cousin lives near so I wouldn't be totally alone. I fell in love with this city too. I like how the area looks for walking my dogs, I love that the city is a nice size for me.
I don't know much about the hospital systems, though, they did not seem to be in too much demand for nurses like Orlando or my 3rd choice.
My con is kind of picky, about the pollution. Every day it seems like there's an air quality alert for an ozone warning (I have all my fav cities on a weather tracker that alerts me to those things).

My 3rd is Richmond VA. The cons are because it's the farthest away from my mom and I know noone there or the surrounding areas. This would be my first choice though.
Pros are many: I love VA, the hospitals seem to be in demand for nurses, I love the apartments I saw and good prices, plenty of hiking areas, love the city life.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I'm a 19 year old female, so I'll graduate and move when I'm 21.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:13 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,807,689 times
Based off everything you've said, I would go with Orlando. Moving to a new place with absolutely nobody is scary and your mom won't be around forever (I lost mine at age 27) so spend all the time with her that you can. You're going to find bugs, pests and potentially dangerous wildlife just about anywhere. Also, both Richmond and Charlotte have hot, humid summers, so you'll still have to deal with that. The fact that it will be cheaper is also a plus. Best to start saving money very young. You'll have a much easier time of it when you get older.

Just my thoughts. Either way, best of luck to you!

Old 05-26-2016, 08:27 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
I agree with Melodica, but I also think you need to see what job offers you get first. Some may be significantly better than others.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:06 AM

555 posts, read 501,445 times
First of all, good for you. If you feel the itch to move, doing so shortly after college (especially to a brand new area, and not just a neighboring town) is a good way to experience a different part of the country and exercise a little independence. I did something similar (made a huge move from the Midwest to NC), and it was a leap of faith but one of the best choices I've ever made. Now, I'm in my 30s with a family, and my priorities are different, so I'm planning to move back to the Midwest, but I don't regret that cross-country move at all.

I think that, rather than looking at the cities themselves (although you have narrowed down your choices, which is a good thing), you need to now concentrate on what is a top priority for you. Is it having many job opportunities? Having a place with 4 seasons or warmth year round? Staying close to family... and how exactly do you define "close"? Affordable housing and cost of living so you can save money? Once you decide on those things, the best choice will become clear.

That is my primary advice. My secondary advice, which you need to take as just my perspective and perhaps not in line with your own priorities, is to strongly consider Richmond. I live in NC, and I love it, but I think of Charlotte as more of a financial hub, job-wise, and also a place with sprawling suburbs that are all growing and getting more crowded by the day... similar to the Raleigh-Durham area. NC really is a great place to live, but the unfortunate truth is that everyone else and their mother has figured that out and it's getting very crowded in the metro areas, which does impact quality of life for some. That might not bother you in the slightest, but it's something to consider. It's creating an impact on infrastructure (schools, roadways, etc.), and it's pushing real estate prices (and rent) to ridiculously high levels right now, too. We've visited Richmond a few times -- day and weekend trips -- and we absolutely love it. If we were younger or had no children and family to consider, we'd move there in a heartbeat, to start a new adventure. It feels, to me, a little like Raleigh did 15 years ago -- like a little bit of a hidden gem with a cool vibe that would be fun to experience... maybe even a little bit more "urban hip" than Raleigh ever was or will be, and with nice scenery in and around the town and proximity to DC for day/weekend jaunts. It has four seasons without a long winter. If you like history and historical buildings/sights, it's a simply awesome place to be. I genuinely don't know what real estate and rent prices are like, however.

I've only visited Orlando a couple of times and it strikes me as very crowded and hot. However, having family there makes a big difference, especially if that is a top priority for you. And you can't beat proximity to Florida beaches on both sides.

Good luck and enjoy your planning!

Old 05-26-2016, 09:42 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
My understanding was that the City vs City forum was the best place to ask this kind of question.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:04 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,613,193 times
OP, also keep in mind that if you pick an area with a low COL, you'll have a hard time moving to an area with a higher one: you'll need more for a security deposit, first month's rent, etc. For that reason, Richmond may be a better choice. You'll earn a higher salary, plus it's a short plane trip to visit your mom.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:45 PM

187 posts, read 226,941 times
This was all really great advice, thank you!

I have to do some thinking about what my priority is...I seem to want it all haha.

I didn't realize that about Charlotte's increasing popularity and COL either, BlessedLife, thank you.

Where I live now, it's not safe to go out and walk my dogs even, I need to drive 45 minutes to take them on a good walk. That might not seem like a big deal and maybe isn't for a lot of people but I don't like it so I work really hard in school and my job. My mom is a teacher, and has worked in some of the worst rep schools in NJ. She's ready for Orlando and deserves it!! Originally we were both going to compromise where to move, but she really wants Orlando but won't move until I graduate.

I thought it was interesting that salary for nurses in Orlando in some cases surpasses Richmond (when I compare on www.glassdoor.com)

Anyway thanks again to the replies for giving me some direction!

(I'm sorry if this wasn't the right forum, not sure why I passed right over city vs city)

Old 05-27-2016, 09:30 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,008,290 times
I think FL is a horrible place to live, especially if you have kids. Every young person I know in FL is just stuck there. No good job, hates the weather, tons of bugs, and no money or opportunity to get out. The schools in FL by and large suck (including universities -- even the best university in the state, UF, nearly gutted its CS department a few years ago, one of the hottest fields out there). In central Florida, there are way too many retirees (though this could work to your advantage if you're a nurse), and in southern Florida, the crime is very high and people are extremely hostile. The drivers are incredibly dangerous. If you like FL, get a job somewhere else, save some money, and take a vacation there every once in a while.

But if you're a nurse, it's not a bad place I guess. And it is nice not to have state income tax. Don't get me wrong, I've been to FL a few times, and have really liked it. But I would never live there.

Liking the theme parks is a ridiculous reason to live somewhere though. Locals avoid tourist stuff. Charlotte and Richmond are probably better for most jobs, meeting people your age, having a family, whatever.

I'd expand your options too. Why only the southeast?

If your mom is waiting for you to graduate because she expects you to go live with her, you need to figure out your own situation first and foremost. Go where you can get a job. No place is fun to live without money. Then figure out the rest around that.

Last edited by rarog; 05-27-2016 at 09:50 AM..

Old 05-27-2016, 11:00 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,548,343 times
Go to Florida, woman. Party state! Woo hoo!!

Old 05-27-2016, 12:39 PM

27,229 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abirdinahand View Post
There are pros and cons for each city. I'd appreciate ANY input!

I won't be moving for 2 years. I will graduate with a BSN. But thinking about moving is really motivating to me because I don't like the area I live in now, so I just plan a lot!

My first pick is Orlando, Fl. Pros are my mom is moving there too, I love everything in the area from theme parks to the city and have visited often, I like the weather, good pediatric hospitals around, good schools to continue my education, will be cheaper to live with my mom!
The major con is that I have dogs who are very active and I don't know if they can tolerate the weather, plus there's gators, fire ants, and those things. This is a major con. I love hiking with my dogs and I don't know if I want to give that up, even for everything I love about Orlando.

My 2nd choice is Charlotte, NC. My cousin lives near so I wouldn't be totally alone. I fell in love with this city too. I like how the area looks for walking my dogs, I love that the city is a nice size for me.
I don't know much about the hospital systems, though, they did not seem to be in too much demand for nurses like Orlando or my 3rd choice.
My con is kind of picky, about the pollution. Every day it seems like there's an air quality alert for an ozone warning (I have all my fav cities on a weather tracker that alerts me to those things).

My 3rd is Richmond VA. The cons are because it's the farthest away from my mom and I know noone there or the surrounding areas. This would be my first choice though.
Pros are many: I love VA, the hospitals seem to be in demand for nurses, I love the apartments I saw and good prices, plenty of hiking areas, love the city life.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I'm a 19 year old female, so I'll graduate and move when I'm 21.
I live in the Orlando area and can tell you the 9 month summers of 85+ degree temperatures, high humidity and inland location is pretty charmless minus the theme parks (assuming you find them a perk). Hiking will become a fond memory and the pay scale is well below other options you'll find thanks to the willingness of many to work here at 2/3 to 3/4 less than other major cities. Given your age, interests and profession either Richmond or Charlotte is going to be a better fit for an educated young professional than Orlando, which is basically at the bottom of the barrel in terms of college educated residents with just one in four here on average having a college degree. I wouldn't worry a whole lot about not having family nearby as you're at the age where meeting and making friends is easy, and of course visiting is always an option for your friends/family and vice versa. Sometimes breaking the apron strings can be difficult for some in terms of moving away from Mom/Dad and family, but in some ways it can be the best thing you've ever done in terms of establishing independence and your own identity. Good luck in which ever direction you head!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues