Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 02:02 PM

175 posts, read 261,064 times

Advertisements

Styrofoam plates work really well for padding between plates. You can also cut them to fit other glass items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 02:41 AM

473 posts, read 502,097 times
Even better are bath and kitchen towels. I NEVER had any kitchen or knicknack item break when I just packed in towels. I shove some items into socks to stick in box's corners. Just unpack really slowly. You cannot just pull out towel and everything breakable lands on floor.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:50 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Absolutely use the blankets, as well as towels, sheets, and any other linens for protecting breakables when moving. I do it all the time.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:22 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
The key thing to remember, make sure that the box is packed tight. Not over full, but tight enough that nothing moves. The damage mostly happens when things can vibrate or bounce against each other.

Moved from Philly to Florida and we/I packed ourselves. Hubby drove the rental truck while I followed in our SUV. Never had a casualty. We just (last month) moved about 20 minutes away and I packed everything again but we did have movers to load, breakdown the beds, transport and assemble the larger items upon getting to the new place. No casualties again. Thank god I don't have to go through that again LOL. I'm staying put!

Towels are great for wrapping but they do take up a LOT of space. I used them mostly for filling a box to the max. Also to add a bit of padding on the bottom of the box for more delicate items. Dish towels are the best for those odd empty areas.

There are some excellent packing YouTube videos available.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvTqRTYRorY

Old 02-07-2017, 03:07 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
Wow, what great advice.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:24 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Two issues to consider when using clothes, towels, and bedding as padding when moving:

1. Do you want to wash everything that has been used for packing?

2. If you put something from the kitchen in with a box of mostly soft goods, make a note of what box it is in. DH and DIL did that and had to almost complete unpacking everything in order to find the knife block and knives, which were in a box that ended up being placed in the master closet by the movers.

In fact, it is best to number boxes and make a list of what is in each box. You can label boxes but that might let the movers know which boxes end up being "lost" during the move.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:57 AM

772 posts, read 1,142,364 times
I prefer wrapping paper, bubble wrap, and Banker's boxes. Just moved from Maryland to California and didn't lose any boxed dishes or other breakables.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:29 AM

922 posts, read 791,364 times
We moved to another state using a U-Haul and a car trolley. We packed everything with blankets, towels, stuffed animals, sheets and pillows. We also numbered the boxes and listed all the contents. It took some time, but it was helpful when we got there to find things as we needed them. Even so, there are still things we can't find. I guess that's just part of moving.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:31 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Next time I move I was thinking of using bath towels to wrap breakable glass stuff, then putting the wrapped pieces in dresser drawers (in dressers) as some kind of superbox. Has anyone tried that?
I always use that bubble packing material. You can buy large rolls of it at big box stores. It protects better than cloth.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:07 PM

33 posts, read 27,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
And, after you move they can be donated to a shelter or thrift store.
This is the best advice. They are very useful and can be useful to many shelters after you are done with them. All you have to do is give them a quick wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues