Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 10:36 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I'm supposed to be packing, but I'm procrastinating instead. I HATE packing and find when I'm here doing it alone it makes me very emotional. I have to sort through all this stuff with memories attached and make cut-throat decisions on what stays and what goes and I get all sad about leaving - AND I just did all this last year. Admittedly, it was worse then and I was really wedged in after almost 30 yrs in the same place. This year I'm just dragging my butt. I only wish the process didn't make me so depressed. What's my problem? Does anyone else feel like this?

get off your butt and get to it
those boxes aren't going to pack themselves
every time you put something in a box, do a shot of tequila
google worst cases of hoarding images to see what you might become

you need to prioritize
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 10:49 AM

16,075 posts, read 10,735,467 times
Pack up the computer and put it in a box.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:02 AM

731 posts, read 935,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Pack up the computer and put it in a box.
OMG! That is totally what I need to do..... but won't.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:00 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,508,901 times
4 boxes today. Along with some cleaning. Done with bedroom and bathroom closets, into the kitchen.

And I'm only computer-ing now that I did it.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:51 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,605,780 times
You're making great progress! Hang in there! It'll be done soon.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:09 AM

840 posts, read 760,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I do have a hard deadline and an "x" amount of boxes per day goal. I started by area: book case, the craft table drawers, sewing table drawers, the filing cabinet great weed-out and packing in a special file box, winter clothes, decorative items. The kitchen is next and in pieces since I have to cook and eat for a while more. Then bathroom and linens, pantry items, closets. I got dollar store zip bags in every imaginable size for craft and smaller kitchen/bathroom things, just group and bag and all those bags go in a box.

I just find myself surprised by how lousy it feels and how much I don't want to do it.
Do you really want to move?

Old 03-27-2017, 12:39 PM

44 posts, read 63,959 times
You could also take minimalist to an extreme like I did. It's easier for me being single with 2 cats, though. I took several months, and slowly got rid of about 90% of everything I own. Furniture, stereo, tv...everything. I sleep on the floor on a 2 inch futon. My TV is a 13 MacBook pro with a dvd drive, and my Samsung Tablet. No cable. I have almost nothing, and it's been very liberating. In the end, most of us don't need much in the way of material possesions. I've only kept what matters most, and donated everything else. I had the time to do this far in advance, although it may not be so simple for others with a full house, kids, memories, etc...
One room at a time....Go with your gut. If you haven't used it, worn it, or it doesn't fit the size you are now, then out it goes. Don't just keep something because so-n-so gave it to you, out of guilt. I've done that and it's not worth it. Re-gift or donate.
I like to think of open space and light, airyness as my friends. When moving day comes it will be so much easier!
Less is better, in my opinion.
Then watch a few episodes of Hoarders!! If that doesn't motivate, I don't know what will!!

Last edited by SLUGGGO; 03-27-2017 at 12:51 PM..

Old 03-28-2017, 02:27 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Read my //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...whirlwind.html . Oh, Gee, even after 2 years and hopefully my last move done, it is still painful to read, relive that.

Operation Whirlwind happened primarily because I denied to myself that I had to move, that I had to take apart my life, that things had to be done especially given all the things, all the stuff, in my life. I kept my apartments assembled much longer than I should have. Admittedly, there were several days where nothing got done, where I was chasing rainbows when I should have been disassembling, should have been packing.

It is probably a lesson I still hadn't learned when I had to move from the rental into the ranch house last month. That one was a bit more successful where all the stuff did get moved (I think, I hope) but it was done with throwing a lot of money at it. I should have been packing my life into boxes in the weeks before the house was finished in mid December but no..........

You've got to move, it's got to be done, create a delusional personalty if you must (like my cowgirl persona), but like the old saying goes, "the more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in war", the more you do now, the less it will cost you later.

Finally, if you think you have time so you can afford to slack off, consider what you will have to do if you break a leg or something.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:04 PM

747 posts, read 579,800 times
I feel the same way and I think it is natural. Feelings of fear of making a wrong choice.
I tossed 8 trash bags of papers, magazines, etc I had hoarded. But when in doubt, I do NOT throw it out. Once you do, it is gone forever and you will forget you even had it. I wished I had saved stuff from long ago but I threw it out. If it has some sentimental value, keep it! You'll be glad later. One can be too practical about it all. You don't want to have to purchase it again on ebay. The deal with friends helping is that you may wind up just talking and not working.

In my area, professional packers charge about $45-60. an hour!

Old 04-05-2017, 09:23 AM

6,147 posts, read 4,508,901 times
I did it, all of it, on time. I also think I should be a packer since nothing broke. I had the old place inspected and it was OK with the super (so let's see how I do getting that security deposit back long distance). And the pet deposit. And the key deposit.

Anyway, I'm too small and old to be a mover, but a packer - how do I get that job? Would I hate it any less if it was other people's things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues