Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 06:10 PM

319 posts, read 1,911,520 times

Advertisements

That's great that Penske was so helpful and everything looks like it'll work out OK. I'm hoping things can go smoothly for our move in June as well! Best wishes, and report back how everything goes. If I remember correctly, your move should be coming up rather soon.

I really wish we could transport one of our cars so we could at least ride together and talk, but it is really cost-prohibitive. None of our friends could take enough time off to come with us, but at least we're stopping to see a lot of people on the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 10:12 PM

8 posts, read 155,468 times
Thank you for the well wishes. I will be sure to let you know how the trip went.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:36 PM

28 posts, read 106,233 times
Default Penske Rental AA Discount

You might consider buying AAA coverage to get a 12% discount on your Penske rental. My AAA was only 50$ for a year, and well worth it. I'll be saving more than triple that with the 12% discount if I go with Penske for my move.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:29 PM

We took full advantage of the AAA and web booking discount for Penske. I've also heard that if you call them up and have a lower offer from another company, they'll beat it. But, they were lowest for us and I thought it was a good deal. The fuel is what will really add up.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:43 AM

11 posts, read 87,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoisegirl View Post
We took full advantage of the AAA and web booking discount for Penske. I've also heard that if you call them up and have a lower offer from another company, they'll beat it. But, they were lowest for us and I thought it was a good deal. The fuel is what will really add up.
I just called Penske and I am very happy. I had a quote from u-Haul for $368.00 and Budget for $357.00. I went online for Penske and they quoted me $654.00. I called the 800 number and she said that the online price was correct and I said thanks but I will chance it will Budget. She asked me what Budget quoted and replied that Penske will not compete with U-Haul but they respect Budget and she offered me a 16' truck (4 feet more than what I wanted) for $400.00 So I am more than please so far.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:12 AM

Well my move was perfect. Except for that one truck driver that cut me off at about 65mph but other than that, it was perfect. The car carrier was very stable. Only had to adjust the straps twice the whole 1890 miles. No damage and as for the gas that I calculated at about $650... it was actually about $150 less than that. So I was very pleased. The Penske truck we got had only 29k miles on it and it was in great condition.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 27,800 times
Default miles per gallon

We are moving from Seattle to MA (Pioneer Valley) in a month and are concerned about gas prices. It sounds like you got pretty good mpg with Penske. We would also be driving the 16' truck towing a car. Anyone else have real mpg rates for their cross-country moving trips?

Thank you!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:27 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS1 View Post
Well my move was perfect. Except for that one truck driver that cut me off at about 65mph but other than that, it was perfect. The car carrier was very stable. Only had to adjust the straps twice the whole 1890 miles. No damage and as for the gas that I calculated at about $650... it was actually about $150 less than that. So I was very pleased. The Penske truck we got had only 29k miles on it and it was in great condition.
So did you end up with the 16 ft truck or the 22 ft truck? Penske is quoting me over $900.00 for a 16 ft truck. Does that sound right? I'm driving from PA to TX--1600 miles.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:09 PM

That sounds about right for Penske. Our quote is just over $1,000 with the car trailer and the 16 foot truck. But, I booked a few months ago and used the AAA and web discount. Also driving about 1,600 miles. You could play around with the dates and see if you can get the price down. You are allowed to change the date up to two times without a price change.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:44 AM

That sounds perfectly right Texan. The AAA discount is great as well as a Sams Club discount. Oh and make sure that the people you talk to are helpful and friendly. My insurance on any damage to the truck or car carrier was supposed to be like $129.. but he lowered it to like $80. Like I said earlier.. that guy was very helpful and Penske kills Uhaul. Even the Penske trucks I was passing by looked better than anything Uhaul had on the road. So haggle a bit.. you might be pleasantly suprised. Like I was when I found out my truck had a cd player. My best friend riding shotgun had his portable dvd player and we were having a blast at least listening to the funny movies. Oh.. the truck I had was a 16ft. Immaculate. One other thing.. dont try to sleep in the truck.. just pay up and check into a Comfort Inn or somethin' like we did. We felt SO much better after 6hrs sleep. Then again.. we drove 1900 miles though. I cant believe gas is 45 cents more than it was when I made the trip 5 weeks ago. Thats insane.. but probably.. talk for another topic. Lemme know oh it all turns out you two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues