Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 06:06 AM

22 posts, read 23,130 times

Advertisements

At this point, after looking at yet another **** shack apartment looks like we're up and moving. Somewhere.

It's insane, right?

We've looked from up and down the area, surrounding towns 30-45 minutes away. This is a rural area so not it's like I can go into the city and work and expect high wages. The whole area dances around a local college and hospital. Everyone else works on the fringes.

So--what do you suggest?
Seriously. If you had to up and move tomorrow where would you and 2 other adults go?

I want:

1. Better weather than New England--guess I will learn to tolerate the heat?
2. Jobs, jobs, jobs
3. If we can pay the rent with #2 I won't mind handing over half my paycheck a month.
4. Decent and competitive shopping--more than one or two supermarkets.
5. Something cultural to do like good libraries. (a must)
6. Affordable community college for my son
7. Dog friendly

Throw out those cities to me. I prefer NOT rural. (I hate rural places now).

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 06:26 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinandPeteNast View Post
Priced out of your rental area?
Odds are you were paying too much in the last place you lived as well.

Quote:
If you had to up and move tomorrow where would you and 2 other adults go?
That sort of desperation decision isn't the one to plan around.
Even if forced to make one... limit it to the short term and as a get by.

Quote:
I want:
You want the same as everyone else.

Look at your recent weekly pay stubs.
Whatever that NET pay amount adds up to is your budget target.
Ideally... one WEEK of pay will cover one MONTH of housing costs. Including utilities.

Many will have to share a house or apartment to make that work.
If so... that sharing needs to be equitable with each contributing a similar amount
and each being able to afford to pay that amount. Don't cheat yourself.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:33 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Quote:
I want:

1. Better weather than New England--guess I will learn to tolerate the heat?
2. Jobs, jobs, jobs
3. If we can pay the rent with #2 I won't mind handing over half my paycheck a month.
4. Decent and competitive shopping--more than one or two supermarkets.
5. Something cultural to do like good libraries. (a must)
6. Affordable community college for my son
7. Dog friendly

Unfortunately, OP, it takes money to live in half-way decent areas. People live rural because not having stores and libraries makes it affordable, if they have a job out there, and generally those jobs don't pay all that well.

I don't know your field, but I'm not sure of anywhere that has "jobs, jobs, jobs" at the moment. It sounds like you might be in retail or food service, nothing specialized.

And that's my first thought: maybe you don't earn enough money right now and need more training so that you can either advance in your job or do something that's higher paying. For example, if you are a server, what training would you need to become a manager or district manager?

I would suggest starting there. If you need to return to college, do that in your home state so that you don't have to deal with out-of-state tuition costs. What does your son want to do? Same thing: look at opportunities in your home state. Perhaps a move to a suburb of a larger town, perhaps both of you rent rooms in a house (with multiple housemates) for now, near the community college that has the programs you both want.

If you have a dog/dogs, you may need to consider re-homing them to make that work, as many student landlords (not all) don't allow dogs. I know that sounds mean! But sometimes we hold ourselves back with pets at the wrong time.

If you do plan to move out of state, check the length of time for college residency requirements on the college web site.

There's no easy fix here. Ten years ago, you might've packed up your vehicle and moved to ______ (where ever) and rebooted your life with the better economy, but I can't point to anywhere right now that is truly booming in the US.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:37 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Texas

Btw, most landlords require income to rent ratio doesn't exceed 33%

Old 07-27-2017, 09:53 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Texas.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:26 AM

22 posts, read 23,130 times
Thanks guys.

No, not in food service. In Education but it's very competitive.
Husband in materials at hospital.

Texas is on the shortlist.

Dumping my dog is not an option. Would you dump your kid?

Old 07-27-2017, 12:48 PM

97 posts, read 124,012 times
Florida.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Dumping my dog is not an option. Would you dump your kid?
Landlords can't usually ban children.

I do understand! But it's very hard to get rentals with pets, even in "dog friendly" areas. If you want to get ahead, this is something you'll need to seriously consider. This doesn't mean the dog must go to a shelter or rescue: perhaps a friend or friend of a friend can keep it until you are in better circumstances.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
No, not in food service. In Education but it's very competitive.
It might be time to get out of education. The larger insurance companies love educators from all levels! Now, whether *you* would be happy there is another question, but that's one area where you could potentially make a higher salary without having to pay for your own education. They would provide paid training. I know a gal who used to tutor part-time at Silvan Learning Center who tripled her income working in a Nationwide call center.

Again, not for everyone but something to think about.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:21 PM

120 posts, read 119,265 times
Texas as someone said. Or Macon / Warner Robins area in Georgia. If you want to join the Air Force or work at GEICO there are plenty of jobs Cheap area to live in and pleasant enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues