Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 05:55 PM

83 posts, read 73,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinandPeteNast View Post
Thanks guys.

No, not in food service. In Education but it's very competitive.
Husband in materials at hospital.

Texas is on the shortlist.

Dumping my dog is not an option. Would you dump your kid?
Just popping in to say I have extreme respect for you. I feel the same exact way. Pet friendly rental homes were hard to come by when we opted to sell our old house and the one we ended up with had a $250 deposit per pet as well as pet fee (per pet) every month. I still would rather do that then give up my babies any day. Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 06:08 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,003,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
When did you move? Rents have gone up a lot in the last 3 years.
Mid-March, 2017.

I'm fully aware of San Diego Cty rents. I'll return soon (my lease expires Valentine's Day). Just the humidity alone will drive me back 3K miles. I'm not complaining... each place has it's pros-cons. I just prefer SoCal, by far... & I've lived in 28 different locales. See you soon...

Old 07-27-2017, 11:02 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
You need to look for areas with a lot of complexes. They are always competing for business and you can often get a month free and no deposit. That's a big help to get you situated.
Eta, I understand that the majority of us don't want snow but the more I think about it, unless you're in a snow belt, the amount of days that you are paralyzed by winter is usually 3-5 maximum. I live in NY and I had 2 days this past winter. It's not really a reason to dismiss a good % of the country if you can find a decent job and housing.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:46 PM

486 posts, read 654,248 times
Ocala, Florida. Great community colleges, lots of teaching jobs, and there are 3 big distribution centers either active or upcoming in the next few months that can't get enough people who want to work. We have a FedEx distribution center that is very busy. We have distribution centers under construction for AutoZone and Chewy (pet foods and supplies). K-Mart has a distribution center here, but with the Sears/K-Mart financial situation I don't know how long that will last. Rural King just opened an 85,000 square foot store (farm supplies) and they are building a distribution center here as well. We have 7 Walmarts here always begging for employees if all else fails as well as a ton of fast food entities.

Rentals are in the $1000 to $1500 a month range for a 3 bedroom 2 bath home. I don't know much about the apartment complexes here, but renting from a private owner would probably make it easier to accommodate your dog. There are rentals on Craigslist as well as Ocala4Sale. Unless you routinely pack a weapon and are comfortable with turf wars, avoid the Forest area and Silver Spring Shores.

Marion County is slightly bigger than the whole state of Rhode Island. 28% of us are over the age of 65. There is a lot of opportunity in the health care field, obviously.

You quickly become accustomed to the temperature in Florida. It's great being able to start swimming in April and keep the pool open until the end of September or later. It does get "cold" here (thin-blooded native here!) in the winter months, but I do enjoy sitting out on the screened porch with a glass of iced tea and seeing the roses in bloom in December.

Florida has no state income tax. Sales tax in Marion County is 7%. I pay about $2300 a year in property tax on a $245,000 home after the homestead exemption. My car tag is $45. No vehicle inspection foolishness here, either, and no property tax on your vehicle. Milk is $2.38 a gallon and I paid $2.14 a gallon for gas a couple days ago. We have more restaurants than you can shake a stick at. Lots of shopping including a huge flea market that is all under cover and open year around. If you're into country music, the Orange Blossom Opry is open year around and you can even go to jam sessions on Thursday and get up and perform. Nearest beach is Crystal River and Daytona/Ormond Beach are about 70 miles due east. NASCAR racing at its finest!

I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:18 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
At this point, after looking at yet another **** shack apartment looks like we're up and moving. Somewhere.

It's insane, right?

We've looked from up and down the area, surrounding towns 30-45 minutes away. This is a rural area so not it's like I can go into the city and work and expect high wages. The whole area dances around a local college and hospital. Everyone else works on the fringes.

So--what do you suggest?
Seriously. If you had to up and move tomorrow where would you and 2 other adults go?

I want:

1. Better weather than New England--guess I will learn to tolerate the heat?
2. Jobs, jobs, jobs
3. If we can pay the rent with #2 I won't mind handing over half my paycheck a month.
4. Decent and competitive shopping--more than one or two supermarkets.
5. Something cultural to do like good libraries. (a must)
6. Affordable community college for my son
7. Dog friendly

Throw out those cities to me. I prefer NOT rural. (I hate rural places now).

Any ideas?
Some of the larger "cities" of North Dakota might be to your liking. It does get brutally cold in the winter and hot and humid in the summer but I love it. I moved two,years ago and it's the best move I've ever made.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:59 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98IndyPacecarguy View Post
Florida.

Florida doesn't pay well, just saw on the news last night that we have a shortage of teachers because of the low pay and some other reasons. The only place that paid me a worse salary than Florida was North Carolina, however I was living in a small eastern NC town.

Plus the rents have gotten crazy here. A 1 bedroom apartment will cost you over $1000 a month. My friend is in an older 2 bedroom paying $1250 a month now. They raised her $120 when her lease renewed to "keep up with the current market".

Old 07-28-2017, 08:55 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Thanks guys.

No, not in food service. In Education but it's very competitive.
Husband in materials at hospital.

Texas is on the shortlist.

Dumping my dog is not an option. Would you dump your kid?

Education at what level?

Old 07-28-2017, 09:32 AM

486 posts, read 654,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Florida doesn't pay well, just saw on the news last night that we have a shortage of teachers because of the low pay and some other reasons. The only place that paid me a worse salary than Florida was North Carolina, however I was living in a small eastern NC town.

Plus the rents have gotten crazy here. A 1 bedroom apartment will cost you over $1000 a month. My friend is in an older 2 bedroom paying $1250 a month now. They raised her $120 when her lease renewed to "keep up with the current market".
FedEx is paying $15 an hour to start for package handlers. With the two new centers opening I expect that will go up since unemployment here is around 4%.

Just remember it's cheaper to live here as we don't have exorbitant taxes like the northern states. And we don't have heart attacks shoveling 6 feet of snow so we can go to work.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:35 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Education at what level?
She could be support staff at a community college, public school, large university, etc. But what does that matter if she's familiar with the general job market in her field?

Old 07-28-2017, 12:57 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Texas

Btw, most landlords require income to rent ratio doesn't exceed 33%
Just read an article in the FW Weekly - these days you have to NET (income) three times the rent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues