Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 04:41 PM

65 posts, read 211,436 times

Advertisements

I am still getting bills from the city for water usage, and I haven't lived there for a month. I called, had the water turned off in my name and gave them my new out of state address to send my final bill. They just changed over my service last week and they are telling me I have to pay it and there is no record on their computer that I even called, to stop the services.
She supposedly put me on hold and talked to her supervisor and he told her that I had to pay it since it was still in my name......What would be my next step, should I write the mayor, or councilman or what? I have paid every single bill I have ever incurred with them, and now this! Please advise me if anyone knows who I should contact on this matter. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 07:32 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
They should have given you a confirmation number when you canceled. Give them that number.

When I moved last time it took BellSouth 5 months to figure it out. I called, asked to talk to a supervisor (be prepared to hold) & gave her my cancellation number. They ended up sending me a check.

I am still, 13 months later, trying to get Allstate to refund on my homewoner's policy.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:44 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
The same thing happened with us and Verizon. It took them 7 months to get it right. I'm thinking what a bunch of dumba**es.
You've got to keep bugging them until you find someone smart enough to get it right.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:58 PM

35 posts, read 162,268 times
Default So true have to bug

We had to change from Cell One to AT&T cells. Cell One I had the service for 8yrs. Then had to change to AT&T (their service sucks) 3 months ago. Cell One had the nerve to call us today to say that we owe them $250.00 for text messaging. We told them that the were nuts because there is no way we could of used 7000 Texts in one month. Our highest bill ever was 150.00. Until we changed our setting in 2003. Its been the same amount of $120.00. With two phones. So we told them to look at it again and call us back when they get it right. They have not done so, yet.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:58 AM

65 posts, read 211,436 times
Default Good idea Evey

Only problem is, I only had a short time to move and all papers went flying here and there. Not sure if she even gave me a number for that, but if she did I guess it got gone........

There has to be someone like the mayor, or city councilman or someone I can contact, this is ludicrious paying a bill when you are not even living there. I have accrued so many moving expenses and getting things hooked up and straightened out here and then I still have to deal with the other state and leftover bills from there?

Yikes folks do you still want to move?

Old 03-14-2008, 05:27 AM

893 posts, read 790,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
The same thing happened with us and Verizon. It took them 7 months to get it right. I'm thinking what a bunch of dumba**es.
You've got to keep bugging them until you find someone smart enough to get it right.
Ahhh yes I love a communication company that can't communicate

Old 03-14-2008, 09:29 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
You need to talk to the supervisor.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:46 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times
Talk to a supervisor first. Start by telling them you have been a very loyal customer and you are very upset-- be firm but kind! Give them a BRIEF summary of what happened. Clarify that you are a good customer and have good financial standing with them, as well as good overall credit. Ask them if there is anything they can do for you to resolve the issue. Give them an exact date of when you cancelled (While you may not have it, you know about when right? tell them you made a dated checklist for each utility, its just a little white but it will give you some credibility). IF they aren't willing to work with you, then you need to take it to the city.. If its not a huge amount, it may be worth it to just pay to avoid the hassle.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:31 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times
In the end, I'd pay it and write on your check "paid under protest"(I think that's the right wording, double check with someone else). Save a copy of the check too. Just to save your credit it's worth it to just give in. But try again to resolve it first maybe; it's just not worth dragging this on and on and the stress it causes is certainly not worth it.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:49 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
"I am still getting bills from the city for water usage, and I haven't lived there for a month. I called, had the water turned off in my name and gave them my new out of state address to send my final bill. They just changed over my service last week and they are telling me I have to pay it and there is no record on their computer that I even called, to stop the services."

A little late now, but always keep a record of the date and time of your call, and the name of the representative. It can also be important to document the meter readings on the date of cut-off.

What might get their attention is to ask them where they want you to return the water, since you are willing to pay for a truck to bring water back to them, but won't pay them a dime for their extortion. Then I would call a company that will do it for the publicity, and contact the local tv station to video the return for the local news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues