Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 08:48 AM

20 posts, read 24,374 times

Advertisements

I got a quote from a moving company I found on craigslist, April 28. I have a queen bed (mattress + frame) 5 boxes and 10 big bags of things to move about 20 blocks in the NYC area. I chose the 2 men + 1 truck option which is $50/hr with a 2hour minimum. The quote came to $200 over the phone.

But they completely falsified their "no hidden fees" charge by charging me once $250 at the first destination once everything was in the truck ready to go, and then held my things hostage for another $160 at the final destination.

I have proof they didn't strap anything down in the truck like they claim to do, and here is the kicker. When they said they were finished and collected the money from me, the Super of the building told me they didn't bring anything up, that everything was crammed in the basement elevator! I have photos for proof, and they would not pick up phones or email or anything while all of this was going on.

Now, I only have craigslist ads with two different numbers of the same people i talked to, nothing in writing about their business, location, etc, one phone number is out of service now and I can't find anything on the web and don't know how I can file a complaint or take them to court now.

Appreciate your help on my first steps here. I understand the law may not fully be on my side here, as I neglected to get their business info in writing or anything else, but I was in such distress at this time. Please help me.

Here is one craigslist ad: https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/l...577167195.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 10:52 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
If this is a legit post, you are pretty much screwed, I'm afraid. You have nothing in writing -- no contract, no contact info, nothing. Contact the Better Business Bureau and see if they have any info. I think that's about all you can do. Write it off as a lesson learned and don't use CL for finding professionals and movers and such ever again. Somebody with a Master's degree should know better...

Old 05-02-2018, 12:19 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereofidelic89 View Post
I got a quote from a "moving company" I found on craigslist
There ya go

Old 05-02-2018, 02:49 PM

20 posts, read 24,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
If this is a legit post, you are pretty much screwed, I'm afraid. You have nothing in writing -- no contract, no contact info, nothing. Contact the Better Business Bureau and see if they have any info. I think that's about all you can do. Write it off as a lesson learned and don't use CL for finding professionals and movers and such ever again. Somebody with a Master's degree should know better...
I didn't ask for your personal opinion regarding my education. Everyone makes mistakes. Your mistake was making a stark contrast to my education which has nothing to do with the circumstances presented above, and acting like a pompous know-it-all.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:40 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Honestly, I don't think there is anything you can do to get your money back. Scams in the moving industry, especially on Craigslist, are common. I agree chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on. I wouldn't even waste my time with the BBB.

In my experience, a reputable moving company costs more. You need to do a lot of research before settling on one.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:45 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,701,984 times
Live and learn, pal.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:02 AM

73 posts, read 113,884 times
I understand you're frustrated, but do understand that taking these individuals to court would only cost you that much more money. It's best to just cut your losses, and learn that you'll get what you pay for. Movers are expensive - and you get what you pay for.

Because you found these folks on Craigs List, I doubt they even have an established presence anywhere. It sounds like a rogue fly-by-night mover.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:29 PM

376 posts, read 599,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereofidelic89 View Post
I didn't ask for your personal opinion regarding my education. Everyone makes mistakes. Your mistake was making a stark contrast to my education which has nothing to do with the circumstances presented above, and acting like a pompous know-it-all.
I think most people with some common sense would not trust random persons from CL with their stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues