Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:55 AM

1,487 posts, read 782,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I have lived in many places. I've dealt with, in my lifetime, to some degree or another, fleas, ticks, spiders, ants, roaches, bedbugs, lice, june bugs, oriental ladybird beetles (invasive version of the ladybug, I'm not a fan) and various kinds of wasps and hornets and yellowjackets (which are my particular nemesis.)

It is my understanding that one of the most prolific nasties these days, is the bedbug. Spreading via hotels, transit, you name it, and they can live absolutely anywhere. Awful. I've heard horror stories. I think I read some years back, that there used to be a pesticide that had nearly eradicated them in the United States, but that pesticide was deemed unsafe and we stopped using it and now they've made a comeback.

I hate cockroaches. Fortunately we don't really seem to have problems with them so much here in Colorado Springs as far as I know. And cat/dog fleas don't seem to thrive here either. Yay, that. I had tiny black ants here in an apartment, that's been my worst problem since moving here, and food grade diatomaceous earth took care of 'em. That stuff is great, kills bugs and doesn't hurt pets.

We don't seem to have scorpions or tarantulas around here, but I do see sun spiders (or "wind scorpions") which are related to the camel spider that soldiers talk about in the Middle East. Nasty fast little buggers, and I've heard that their bites hurt a LOT, but I also read that they aren't venomous though. Just fast and fierce.

I am looking at probably moving to Phoenix, AZ in a few years. I am mostly afraid, very afraid, of the Africanized bees. The very idea freaks me out. At least a scorpion isn't likely to kill me, I'm a healthy grown adult, but "killer" bees totally can, if I can't get away fast enough. LOL I could start shining a blacklight around to try and spot scorpions, too. They glow under blacklight, you know?

Can anybody tell me if flea or roach problems are common in the Phoenix area? I never knew if they are relatively rare here in Colorado because of the dryness or the altitude...
ROACHES!!! Cockroaches dig that dry heat. Cockroaches in Phoenix are everywhere, in just about every household, unless you have an exterminator on retainer.

I think the chemical you're talking about is DDT, and it can't make a comeback. DDT got into everything, and it killed the birds who ate the berries DDT landed on, it killed the pets who had contact with the birds or the rodents or the insects...... just nasty stuff. It caused birth defects too, which is why it could never be used again.
BTW, make sure your diatomaceous earth does not contain silica. Breathing that in can be fatal to pets and humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 01:16 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Would you ever stop moving to a new location because of the proliferation of bugs (outdoors and indoors)? Or could you/did you adjust to it?
Call your local pest control service.

Have them spray around the outside of your house, all around your windows outside, inside your garage if you have one.

No more bugs or at least any that make it inside will be belly up before you find them.

Easy peasy……...problem solved.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:17 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
I would rather live in a house full of bugs than a house full of poison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues