Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 01:25 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,899,821 times

Advertisements

While I understand the need to be watchful over our little beloved pets, you can still do that and let them have some freedom. I brought my one sons cat back from his house on a 5 hour drive, and his cat sat on the back of my drivers seat the whole trip, straddling my neck. When we got to our destination, I simply put him in his carrier, then opened the door.

Simple, huh ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 05:34 PM

26 posts, read 17,151 times
Quote:
If you get rid of that furniture, that is your burden right now, as I see it. The rest will go in a standard hatchback or small SUV, and get great gas mileage.
Yes, I think you're right. I don't mind storing them for now.

Oh, no way will I let them roam free or be out of the carrier when the car is stopped or a door open. One in particular is a "bolter" who has been known to disappear into the woods, dragging his halter and leash and hidin gout for days, just to avoid a trip to the vet.

I won't need a car right away in Denver (the relative I'm staying with has one I can use) but the idea of buying a used van is one I might consider. It turns out that renting any kind of vehicle one-way is ridiculously expensive! It would literally be cheaper for me to buy a round-trip ticket for a friend to carry one cat, a one-way ticket for me to carry the other, and pet fare for two pets. Seriously.

ACk this is becoming a nightmare. I will keep you all posted and update you once the move is made.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:21 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,637,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cas123 View Post
ACk this is becoming a nightmare. I will keep you all posted and update you once the move is made.
I was afraid you would run into problems with rentals. I know this is overkill, but you might price a Penske 12' foot truck before you fly.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:46 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,050,650 times
You may be forgetting something...those $50 per day rates aren’t going to apply for a one way rental. You’re looking at a grand to rent the vehicle. The drop charge will be listed on the last page of the quote

Old 07-16-2018, 09:03 AM

That's exactly what I am finding, airics. As I said, it's ridiculously expensive, I'm getting quotes of $1200 to $1500 just for the car rental. That's before taxes, additional fees, and mileage costs in addition to fuel and hotel rooms. Renting the Penske 12-foot would be about the same.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:23 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,444,513 times
If you can find a reasonably priced minivan, buy it now. Put the puppy playpen in the van where there's a good airflow to lessen the chance of one or more cats becoming carsick. Pack your clothes and essentials (I do mean only essentials) where the air flow isn't so good.

Now plan on more than three days to get there, because your cats may become car sick and need a day or two to recover. We're on an extra day at this campground because our much-experienced traveling cat got car sick yesterday, two months into this trip. If they don't get sick and you can make it in three days, great. Gives you more time to settle in before work starts.

Don't plan on stopping and sleeping in a rest area or Walmart parking lot along the way. It's July/August and you won't have air conditioning when the engine is turned off. Find pet friendly hotels along your route and sleep in comfort.

When you get there, take your time to find the right vehicle, if it's not your minivan.

Good luck.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,794 posts, read 58,282,396 times
I would buy the best minivan you can afford, and resell it in Colorado. (I have bought several for under $1000, which will be the price of a rental). The one I used today I bought for <$800 and have put 50,000 trouble free miles on it.

you can sleep / bring cargo and cats (build a platform with removable storage)

When you get to CO you can use it for a few months to get organized and local travel.

You can fly, and use 'u-ship.com or similar (for animal and stuff transport)

Old 07-21-2018, 11:21 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,801,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
While I understand the need to be watchful over our little beloved pets, you can still do that and let them have some freedom. I brought my one sons cat back from his house on a 5 hour drive, and his cat sat on the back of my drivers seat the whole trip, straddling my neck. When we got to our destination, I simply put him in his carrier, then opened the door.

Simple, huh ?
Sure. Now do that with a Great Dane.

I'd stlll argue that it's too-too possible for a momentary lapse - rolling down a window for a toll, stopping to use the restroom and "forgetting" the cat is still loose, even a minor accident - to end up with the cat on the wrong side of captivity. But it's on the owner, and they can unfailingly remember to box up kitty before every situation... fine.

Just remember that on a long trip, every hour of quietly cruising the interstate is balanced against some unusual event like rough, noisy road, air horns, sudden swerves and braking... things that rattle drivers and can drive a very calm animal to terror. It doesn't take much for a combination of things to lead to a mistake with the rule.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:16 PM

Hello all,

My plans got pushed back because of a friend's death and my decision to stay for the funeral, but the plan is on and we leave next week so I will definitely keep you all posted! Thank you for all the tips and suggestions.

Decided on renting a minivan and packing it with whatever fits, whatever does not fit will either go into storage or be donated.

My friend unexpectedly announced that she would drive with me and then fly back from Denver, so that's a relief and a blessing. She is a very sensible, practical person, which is what you want on a trip like this, and she can help with driving and cat wrangling. We joke that we're doing Thelma and Louise without (we hope) the fiery suicidal end.

Going off now to buy a crate and soft carriers for the cats. I expect one cat to sleep most of the way and the other to spend the entire first leg of the trip yowling. Good times!

Old 08-15-2018, 12:19 PM

I brought my one sons cat back from his house on a 5 hour drive, and his cat sat on the back of my drivers seat the whole trip, straddling my neck. When we got to our destination, I simply put him in his carrier, then opened the door.

don1945, I am a pretty free-range cat parent myself, I let them roam freely and indulge their wild side. The above scenario would work great with my girl cat, she is totally chill and even enjoys car rides, but my boy cat is a nightmare of neurotic fear. He would have to be completely restrained in a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues