Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 08:22 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times

Advertisements

On the Big Island of Hawaii, they say most mainlanders who move there go back to the mainland in 3 years. That's a "they say", I don't know of any actual stats.

However, it is very different from the rest of the US. Food and goods prices are higher, there are fewer stores, medical care is difficult, and it's a long way from friends and family.

Plus, a staggering number of people buy houses or land sight unseen, to save hotel bills, I guess. No wonder they're unhappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 09:22 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Research and the Move!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAN'TSITSTILL View Post
Just curious as to how many people have researched places, relocated to them and then found out it wasn't what they expected and had to move again.
Whenever I decided to move anywhere I would pull up the top local news channels (on an internet feed) for a particular city, county, town, metro area and watch it in the morning before work and evening before going to bed.

Which is not to say that I don't appreciate the offerings from local citizenry on city-data or statistics kept by the various local, municipal, county, state or government websites but rather...just the local happenings of a particular place. The usual "suspects" concerning crime, politics, community events, and/or "disturbing" events.

To me it feels like a "birds eye" view and I shouldn't be overwhelmed or shocked by what I see when I settle in to my new place. But, that's what I do and so far, so good.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:59 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times
And you can find that the specific place you're in doesn't work. This happened twice to me. The last time I didn't realize the building was not as acoustically well built as it should have been, and the guy upstairs drove us nuts with stomping around overhead and using his exercise rowing machine every day. Rather than approaching him, we left. Even though we'd visited twice before buying, apparently he was never home then.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:55 AM

78 posts, read 94,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
I didn't even think that here, in one of the more northern parts of the south, that the Klu Klux Klan is still so very active and thriving. I mean, i guess I bought all the BS about "the new south" as they call it, but there is nothing at all new here. It is the same ole, same ole, same ole racism and bigotry, they just are better at calling it something else. I was here in Narrowlina only a few weeks when I was outright told that "we here know how to keep THEM under control", and "up north you Yankees let THEM get away with too much."

In fact, after learning 50 members of NC Klansmen participated in that Charlottesville demonstration last year where that young woman was mowed down deliberately and killed, i did a bit of research about the NC KKK and it historically had more Klan members than the entire south put together. The Klan had a celebration parade when DJT was elected and i even have a klan member two doors down from me.

Had i known, i never would have moved here. this state can kill your soul. the hatred here is palpable and not only directed at hispanics and blacks..... it extends to muslims most particularly. our state legislature banned any Syrian refugees from entering this state, there were bomb threats on the Duke University campus when initially they were going to allow a call to prayer one day a week on campus, and of course, the 3 muslim students killed in Chapel Hill over a parking space. And of course that whole fiasco over LGBT rights that caused wholesale boycotts by sporting events and entertainers. Last year, the Supreme Court ruled against NC, finding pervasive attempts by this state to gerrymander voting districts to thwart any possibility of minorities to wield power, using discriminatory gerrymandering with "surgical precision". It is disgusting what still goes on down here
Great way to generalize an isolated incident and paint a broad brush over an entire state!

I'm Hispanic and have lived in NC for almost 15 years. I live in an area where I am very much the minority and have yet to encounter anything remotely close to what you're describing.

I guess in the wrong neighborhood you can encounter what you described but we've traveled all over the state and have only met kind and welcoming people who cares less about your ethnicity and more about your character or the tourism dollars your bringing to their town.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:56 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Have you thought of Atlanta. The film industry has really grown here And is ranked 2nd only to Hollywood . The cost of living is quite a bit less than socal.

How Georgia Became the Hollywood of the South | Time
Yeah I know a friend or two in Atlanta, good industry there, but as a writer-director I wouldn’t live anywhere just for their local industry. They fly in directors for any project, that’s more of a local crew thing like production staff. We are moving to Las Vegas, I have two aunts and two uncles here and it’s the perfect city for me. Ideal weather, very close to Los Angeles (driving distance), no income taxes at the state level is a huge benefit, also the airport is convenient / less expensive to anywhere which is great for travel, there’s tons to do which is a must for me (tired of boring cities), and I’m now a die hard Golden Knights fan so that’s another plus.

I will probably in the future *fingers crossed that I’ll need it* pick up a small studio condo in Burbank or elsewhere in LA so I have a quiet place to stay for business reasons. But that won’t be for a while. We have an agent here in Vegas (I’m on vacation there now) and just waiting for some investments to transfer before I can make the move hopefully next year!

Old 09-10-2018, 08:35 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
To me it feels like a "birds eye" view and I shouldn't be overwhelmed or shocked by what I see when I settle in to my new place. But, that's what I do and so far, so good.
Just keep in mind that "if it bleeds, it leads" and take local news with a little salt. I already knew that Des Moines was fairly safe, but on one of the nights when I first visited, the local news was filled with several stories about people getting shot. I researched that further and learned the problems were in the Drake neighborhood, not downtown or some of the neighborhoods where I was looking at homes.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:03 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Hawaii (Oahu) was nowhere near the paradise I wished it could have been. Part of that was my cohabitants.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:30 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Just keep in mind that "if it bleeds, it leads" and take local news with a little salt. I already knew that Des Moines was fairly safe, but on one of the nights when I first visited, the local news was filled with several stories about people getting shot. I researched that further and learned the problems were in the Drake neighborhood, not downtown or some of the neighborhoods where I was looking at homes.
Yes, great caveat Meemur being a resident of Chicago all my life I am conscious of the geography necessary to "learn" where the trouble is and which areas to avoid day and or night. Yes it is best to know the territory of your move ahead of time.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:36 PM

11,085 posts, read 7,146,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAN'TSITSTILL View Post
Just curious as to how many people have researched places, relocated to them and then found out it wasn't what they expected and had to move again.
Oh man, that's exactly what my family and I experienced. I did literally years of research, bounced many questions on this forum, and we also visited the location first. In the end though, we still missed important "gotcha's" that we hadn't expected.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-14-2018 at 01:48 PM..

Old 09-15-2018, 11:09 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,932 times
I moved someplace I was initially very eager to go, but after about a year, I knew that I had made a mistake. I didn't exactly hate anything about it (except ridiculously short summers); it was just a poor fit for my lifestyle. There was too much emphasis on sports, too few good restaurants for me to enjoy, and some locals were hostile to transplants from my home state. None of this was intolerable, but I never really felt settled, and after a while I began to wonder what I was doing there. When I lost my job in the fourth year, it made more sense for me to leave than seek employment in a state where I no longer cared to reside. It happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues