Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 12:52 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,490,023 times

Advertisements

I don't think this is a generational thing, but I noticed that when people are young, they always tend to want to move to a big city and then they will regret it when they are 30, have kids and own a large house in the suburbs. People probably live in cities when they are young, because they go through that "drinking phase" where they need to be surrounded by a gazillion bars and then they outgrow that phase. I always see young people on the internet writing, "I moved from a rural area/small town to a big city. It is better out here." Yeah I get that small town vibes and the small town people can suck, but I have no desire to live in a city.

I hate cities. I am more of an outdoorsy person and I'd prefer to live in semi-rural neighborhoods similar to neighborhoods of Sussex County in New Jersey for example (except I don't have a desire to live on the East Coast either). I never liked the city. I get nervous driving through the city and the crowds and it just sucks unless I have to drive through a city for a job. I have different interests than people who like cities, because I like adventures and hiking routinely, while people choose a city to see shows, bars, museums, and city parks routinely.

I never heard one young person in my life say, "I moved out from a city and I hate the city. Living in a semi-rural is much more peaceful."

Isn't living in a semi-rural area area cheaper (semi-rural and boondocks places in NJ can sometimes be more expensive than regular areas)? Much more peaceful with lots of outdoor activities?

I grew up in a NJ suburb and I yearn to live in a area more semi-rural like Sussex County as I mentioned. The suburbs are kind of boring, because you don't have the stuff a city has to offer and you don't have much outdoor activities offered.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:18 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Am I the only young person who doesn't want to live in a city?
No; you aren't.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:20 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,658 times
No you aren't the only one. I'm 35 and have never lived in the city and have never really had the desire to do so. In my 20's I liked going to the suburban downtown areas to hit the bars but I never wanted to live in an actual big city. I've spent most of my life in the suburbs and like you would like to live in a more rural area in the future. Well truthfully I'd like to live in a more rural area now but it isn't really an option with my career.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:41 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,490,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
No you aren't the only one. I'm 35 and have never lived in the city and have never really had the desire to do so. In my 20's I liked going to the suburban downtown areas to hit the bars but I never wanted to live in an actual big city. I've spent most of my life in the suburbs and like you would like to live in a more rural area in the future. Well truthfully I'd like to live in a more rural area now but it isn't really an option with my career.
That is true. Jobs can be hard to commute to coming from ruralish areas. That's sometimes the price you pay to live cheaper and farther away from civilization.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:43 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,017,949 times
I'm in my 60's. My husband and I discussed buying a loft condo in Downtown St. Louis. Heck, we like fun stuff to do from time to time. We thought it'd be cool to be able to walk to various shops, restaurants, music venues, etc. But, at the time, we still had a son in school...and St. Louis School District isn't all that great.

We currently live in the suburbs, and our next move will most likely be to a smaller and more rural location.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:20 AM

804 posts, read 544,837 times
Your just ahead of your pack. I also had the same ideas and then I realize the people in the city are terrible. Think like "Sex in the city". That is basically what people are doing. Going to these lame high class places because they haven't discovered the world. Other people come from hosues ( like you ) and their are basically trying to make it in the city. Note I live in a city and the problem is usually money and your value of living. People that live in the city goes to different places of enjoyment and then they do just that. Settle down and move into a house ( with money set aside from their parents after they are married ). That is the norm.

Again like me you are ahead of your time and probably do not know how to enjoy yourself in the city. Usually when you see pictures of models ( men and women ) that is their job to be celebrities and get you to spend money. Go buy this or go buy that.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:53 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
I never wanted to move to NYC or spend hours in bars when I was in my late teens (had 18 year-old drinking age, then). I just wanted to graduate from college and make a decent salary so I could buy a small house and get away from idiot, money-grabbing landlords. And I knew I'd have to live somewhat rural to afford the taxes, which was fine.

Admittedly, that was a much different goal from most young people I knew.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:15 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
No, you are not the only one. But most people have to make a living and go where the jobs are available.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:36 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,103,490 times
I'm too unsure of where I want to live anymore. Big cities have the jobs and conveniences. While small towns/rural areas have a better stock of houses and apartments I wouldn't be too intimidated out of living in.

And then of course there's the heavier traffic and stronger/stricter laws and police presence in urban areas I've looked into such as the Denver and Austin metro's. But I'll just leave it at that.

If anything, I ultimately won't even make a serious move or job search in a larger city until something happens with the current job in my rural area where I no longer have it. That whole thing about "desperation spawning action" and such.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:05 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,180,202 times
I'm 25 and live in a suburb in a detached house with relatively light traffic in my area, and I love it. Moving in November to a big house in an even more rural area with 5 acres of land. Looking forward to it. I still live at home with my parents, though. I graduate college in May 2019.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues