Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 03:41 PM

66 posts, read 54,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
We are 3 days away now! Basically everything is in boxes. We will be the ultimate minimalists for 7 weeks - minimal rented furniture in our two bedroom apartment and everything being brought there is either 1) items that will be Goodwilled before we drive 1,000 miles to our new home or 2) Items that can fit into two cars (suitcases, laptops, pillows, etc.). It’s not going to be much fun but it’s the home stretch as the dream home finishes construction and upgrades.

I think fair to say the declutter is finally complete. It was aggressive and I think I netted $10,000 to $12,000 after shipping, eBay fees, boxing, etc. Maybe 8 car loads to Goodwill.

I envy you. It must be nice to be finally done! I have days when I feel totally overwhelmed by this process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 07:39 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientoak View Post
I envy you. It must be nice to be finally done! I have days when I feel totally overwhelmed by this process.
I hear you! I had so many of those days too, where it felt like it was just never ending. All you can do is keep plugging away and trust that you’re making a dent each day even if it’s a small one. I’m still so stressed though, I’ve never had quite this level of craziness over a sustained time. I wrote and directed a feature film (that I also assisted in some producing capacity) and that was probably about equal but shorter duration of true stress. Right now I’m trying to coordinate last details of the first move, we haven’t locked down a handyman to finish the final buyer requests before closing next Friday, and the moving company can’t even give me a day yet! July 16-18, and here we are not knowing which. To make matters worse the apartment has 1 parking spot; I have to leave my car up at my dads. So that means trying to figure out how I can do all of the move related stuff (doc signing Monday, fitness equipment take apart through this service Tuesday, move Tuesday - Thursday?) with just the one car and my fiancé has her own appointments and work to do.

I tend to chuckle a bit when things are crazy and stressful because what else can you do?! This week I found out the closing date of the next house and the walk through before closing, and that has meant a ton of other phone calls related to post-closing meetings, so it’s just insane I can’t focus on actually moving this week 100% I have to divide my mind and my time between getting out of here and arranging the next house. Part of me is wondering why I even bothered with the apartment considering I’m visiting a friend July 20-24, going to Vegas July 31 to August 9 or 10, visiting that friend again sometime in the 10 days after that for 3 more days (he’s my best friend so trying to get some time in here), and then back to Vegas for a week at the end of August to accept delivery of the stuff, washer / dryer delivery, etc. I will barely even be in this apartment which is probably not a bad thing ha ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues