Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 01:33 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
I rather enjoy my solitary Thanksgivings. I usually cook a small turkey with some fixings and I really like the process, without the drama or stress that I will screw something up (it's just the dog and me so, who cares?) I'll also watch some movies. I haven't been drinking alcohol at all, but am having some wine today. Somehow feels a little more special since I haven't been drinking otherwise. I just can't deal with the travel and being the single person in a crowd of couples and families. My holiday is much better this way.
Totally agree! I don't plan on having a family or kids (all I need is a nice girlfriend), so I won't have to worry about drama in future holidays unless I have to go to visit my NJ family. Ugh. Yeah, I agree, I would feel embarrassed and uncomfortable being the only single person/unmarried person in a crowd of couples and families.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:08 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
When I live on my own, I wonder how often my parents are going to demand me to fly from the West to NJ.
I imagine they will bug you for the first couple of years, but if you say something like, "I can only afford to fly there every x (three or whatever) years, plus I can't get much time off" it usually works.

I moved about 8 hours away from my divorced parents. That was just far enough to keep them from dropping in on a whim and bugging me. Eventually, my mom got remarried and had better things to do.

They have all passed on, now. I can truly say that I do miss them at times, but I don't miss any of the drama, and it was quite dysfunctional for quite a while. One of the best things I ever did was get a job out of state.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I imagine they will bug you for the first couple of years, but if you say something like, "I can only afford to fly there every x (three or whatever) years, plus I can't get much time off" it usually works.

I moved about 8 hours away from my divorced parents. That was just far enough to keep them from dropping in on a whim and bugging me. Eventually, my mom got remarried and had better things to do.

They have all passed on, now. I can truly say that I do miss them at times, but I don't miss any of the drama, and it was quite dysfunctional for quite a while. One of the best things I ever did was get a job out of state.
Yes it is typical for a parent to bug their child when their child recently just moved. My parents would probably bug me with a lot of phone calls, but I am not sure how often they would bug me to visit them. My brother had to move 4 hours away for college (college only not moving permanently and was not financially independent) staying in multiple apartments throughout his entire college life. My mom always made tons of phone calls to him. Also, even when I do become financially independent, my parents would probably still offer to pay for flights, in fact, my dad's the type to get me a free flight with his business trip points accumulated. But, I could always make some excuse saying that I have friends that invited me to their holiday celebrations. I know a widowed lady in her 60s or 70s (and I am not sure if she had kids or not) and she gets invited to people's house for Thanksgiving. I don't think she has family around.

I think if I only apply for jobs out West and never apply to anything back East, it might be the best decision in my life.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:04 PM

46 posts, read 35,462 times
I just relocated about a year and a half ago-this is my second holiday season living here. I still haven't made any close friends, and I've been told that's the way it is here-people are friendly, but you won't get any further than that with them. It's frustrating, but I've quit stressing over it-it is what it is. My parents are both long since dead, and the only one of my siblings I'm even on speaking terms with lives 500 miles away. So I stopped at the store last night on the way home from work and bought the ingredients for my favorite meal. Prepared it, turned on the crock pot, and went to bed. My Thanksgiving has been spent kicking back, doing laundry, puttering around on Facebook, and just doing what I normally do when I have a day off. This is the way I've spent my holidays for a number of years, and I don't mind it at all-it's nice and peaceful.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:16 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
I spent it alone in bed watching TV . I have had one horrible year and I am extremely tired . My birth family has been deceased for years and I miss them all everyday , plus my longtime companion of 10 years and the reason I am out here ,died suddenly in a godAWFUL accident in Jan thats really shaken me to the core .
I have one sister left who lives in a home for the mentally ill - Schizophrenia - it keeps you on your toes thats for sure :/ .
My kids live 2500 miles away but really most of them never even phone unless they need $$.
I left Facebook and they had no clue how to TEXT me for their cash requests - half are over 30. I told one of them recently that I just simply have no money to give ( I do, but not to them, all but ONE of them have jobs that make over 100K ) , and I mercifully no longer hear from them .

I need to rest .

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 11-23-2018 at 09:31 AM..

Old 11-23-2018, 09:19 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Totally agree! I don't plan on having a family or kids (all I need is a nice girlfriend), so I won't have to worry about drama in future holidays unless I have to go to visit my NJ family. Ugh. Yeah, I agree, I would feel embarrassed and uncomfortable being the only single person/unmarried person in a crowd of couples and families.
I grew up in NJ and couldn't get away fast enough. I hardly ever went back to visit, even when I lived in NYC!

Old 11-23-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birds Fan View Post
I just relocated about a year and a half ago-this is my second holiday season living here. I still haven't made any close friends, and I've been told that's the way it is here-people are friendly, but you won't get any further than that with them. It's frustrating, but I've quit stressing over it-it is what it is. My parents are both long since dead, and the only one of my siblings I'm even on speaking terms with lives 500 miles away. So I stopped at the store last night on the way home from work and bought the ingredients for my favorite meal. Prepared it, turned on the crock pot, and went to bed. My Thanksgiving has been spent kicking back, doing laundry, puttering around on Facebook, and just doing what I normally do when I have a day off. This is the way I've spent my holidays for a number of years, and I don't mind it at all-it's nice and peaceful.
I would love to spend a holiday alone like this too if I don't make any close friends like I dream of. I would even go on a hike on the holidays.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
I grew up in NJ and couldn't get away fast enough. I hardly ever went back to visit, even when I lived in NYC!
Even if you live in NYC, it's hard to visit NJ, because NJ Transit has been a pain on the ass these past few years.

Old 11-23-2018, 02:34 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
I enjoy the company of my wife with a small healthy dinner. I don't need society telling me how to spend my holiday or who I need to spend it with.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:23 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
I don't have family that I care to be around. I also have a job that needs staffed every day of the year. So I usually just go to work, which is what I did this year. I also buy myself some things to prepare myself a special holiday meal and enjoy a quiet day/evening at home.

Very occasionally I accept an invitation to join friends for a holiday dinner. Last year some friends and I got together on Christmas and had a blast making sushi rolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues