Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2019, 03:15 PM

3 posts, read 2,614 times

Advertisements

I'm pushing 40, single, and living in Central Oregon, although I'm originally from Portland. I had some serious health issues last year and couldn't work, but I've made a good recovery and want to get back out there. (I'm educated and have 5+ years in my field.)

The problem is ... I live in central Oregon. I'm staying with family (had to move when I developed my health problems), do not have access to a car, and have not had any luck finding work here, save for a very part-time online writing gig. The city I'm in is a vacation town, really, and most jobs here are in the service industry and pay very little. If I did find work here, getting to the job would be difficult since the teeny public transit system is unreliable and everything is spread out.

I really want to go back to Portland (I'm a city gal) and feel like I would have better luck finding work there. (Plus, I would have an easier time getting around.) I know the housing is stupidly expensive (I watched rents claim during the time I lived there) but the housing market isn't great where I currently am. (Low vacancy rates and high rents despite crappy wages). I have a little bit of money stashed away and I can probably crash on a friend's couch for a while, so how crazy would I be to just go to PDX and try my luck?

ETA: I don't have a house full of furnishings. I've been literally living out of a suitcase for five months.

Last edited by moodysunflower; 02-07-2019 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: Stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 04:23 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodysunflower View Post
I'm pushing 40, single, and living in Central Oregon, although I'm originally from Portland. I had some serious health issues last year and couldn't work, but I've made a good recovery and want to get back out there. (I'm educated and have 5+ years in my field.)

The problem is ... I live in central Oregon. I'm staying with family (had to move when I developed my health problems), do not have access to a car, and have not had any luck finding work here, save for a very part-time online writing gig. The city I'm in is a vacation town, really, and most jobs here are in the service industry and pay very little. If I did find work here, getting to the job would be difficult since the teeny public transit system is unreliable and everything is spread out.

I really want to go back to Portland (I'm a city gal) and feel like I would have better luck finding work there. (Plus, I would have an easier time getting around.) I know the housing is stupidly expensive (I watched rents claim during the time I lived there) but the housing market isn't great where I currently am. (Low vacancy rates and high rents despite crappy wages). I have a little bit of money stashed away and I can probably crash on a friend's couch for a while, so how crazy would I be to just go to PDX and try my luck?

ETA: I don't have a house full of furnishings. I've been literally living out of a suitcase for five months.
IMO, it doesn't sound all that risky, especially if you can stay with friends. Presumably, if it didn't work out, you could move back to central OR?

Old 02-08-2019, 03:57 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodysunflower View Post
Doing an in-state move without a job
In-state requires the same effort/considerations as an out of state move.

#1 is to choose the new location VERY carefully wrt whatever sort of work you do.
iow go somewhere that will have decent paying jobs available for YOU.

#2 is a willingness to take pretty much any 'get by' job once you get there.
This means to NOT spend saving on living expenses
and don't expect that the "good job" you're qualified for will be waiting.

Quote:
...so how crazy would I be to just go to PDX and try my luck?
Only YOU can answer the Q's about viable job market vs your skills, etc.
Only YOU can answer the Q's about willingness to do OTHER jobs until you can get the good one.
Only YOU can answer the Q's about willingness to NOT use savings for living expenses. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues