Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 09:39 AM

946 posts, read 1,136,872 times

Advertisements

So wife and I formulated a move plan that requires to sell the house as the first step. Initially we wanted to rent a apartment month to month but after calling several around our neighborhood, they all have at least a 3 months minimum short term contract. We only need a temporary home until I accept a job offer at the destination state. Yes it may take a month up to six to find a new job but we need to be able leave within a month's notice.

Any suggestions? I'll check out Air BnB but it may be costly and there is no option to stay with the inlaw family (for my own sanity).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 09:53 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
I stayed for a few months in a private furnished place that typically rented to traveling nurses, some type of executive or corp rental deal. They rented month by month but were a little more expensive than a regular furnished apt.
Is staying in an extended stay hotel with a kitchenette while you keep your things in storage an option?

Old 07-24-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I stayed for a few months in a private furnished place that typically rented to traveling nurses, some type of executive or corp rental deal. They rented month by month but were a little more expensive than a regular furnished apt.
Is staying in an extended stay hotel with a kitchenette while you keep your things in storage an option?
I just looked at Extended stay and for a month it's quite expensive. Good idea though thx!
My budget is about 2k a month.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:00 AM

325 posts, read 207,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfertx View Post
So wife and I formulated a move plan that requires to sell the house as the first step. Initially we wanted to rent a apartment month to month but after calling several around our neighborhood, they all have at least a 3 months minimum short term contract. We only need a temporary home until I accept a job offer at the destination state. Yes it may take a month up to six to find a new job but we need to be able leave within a month's notice.

Any suggestions? I'll check out Air BnB but it may be costly and there is no option to stay with the inlaw family (for my own sanity).
While you have to be careful using craigslist, you might place an ad and do your homework regarding replies. It's worked very well for several we know...especially in high demand/rent cost cities. They were usually just month long rents.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:02 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfertx View Post
So wife and I formulated a move plan that requires to sell the house as the first step.
That's reasonable for most. Does it also include selling/disposing of most of your 'stuff' while still there?
You know... so you don't have to pay to move/store more than one cube full of stuff?

Quote:
Yes it may take ...up to six to find a new job...
I'll re-phrase that for you: ...up to six to find the good job that will make the moving worth it.
That is an unreasonable expectation if you haven't got an offer up front.

Quote:
Any suggestions?
Get over the notion that you can expect to wrap it all up in a neat package with a ribbon.

Just like almost all relocating people:
EXPECT to take some sort of 'get by' job in the new location while you apply/interview.
EXPECT to live somewhere that the get by job will pay for and NOT by dipping into savings for living expenses.

Quote:
Is staying in an extended stay hotel with a kitchenette while ...?
For the WEEK it takes to secure that get by job.. sure. Maybe two weeks.
Once you have some sort of get by job that will pay enough to live on... look for the best you can do NEAR the job you get.
If you can find an actually good get by job (try prior employers) ... rent a small apt until the real job gets offered.

Last edited by MrRational; 07-24-2019 at 11:27 AM..

Old 07-24-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's reasonable for most. Does it also include selling/disposing of most of your 'stuff' while still there?
You know... so you don't have to pay to move/store more than one cube full of stuff?

I'll re-phrase that for you: ...up to six to find the good job that will make the moving worth it.
That is an unreasonable expectation if you haven't got an offer up front.

Get over the notion that you can expect to wrap it all up in a neat package with a ribbon.

Just like almost all relocating people:
EXPECT to take some sort of 'get by' job in the new location while you apply/interview.
EXPECT to live somewhere that the get by job will pay for and NOT by dipping into savings for living expenses.

For the WEEK it takes to secure that get by job.. sure. Maybe two weeks.
Once you have some sort of get by job that will pay enough to live on... look for the best you can do NEAR the job you get.
If you can find an actually good get by job (try prior employers) ... rent a small apt until the real job gets offered.
Yes we have started the sell/declutter process

Yes I prefer finding a long term job. If I'm lucky, my current job will let me relocate and work remotely but I'm not counting on that.

thanks for the tips!

Old 07-26-2019, 12:42 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
I would do a short term lease in an apartment, some are 3-4 months. It takes the pressure off of having to act too quickly w/ decisions and the time goes fast.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:50 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
This is what we did.

He found a job in our target state. He rented an apartment large enough for the 3 of us and found a storage facility. He moved with his car and some stuff. I stayed behind with the house to pack up and sell it. Once under contract I booked a mover. Sent the mover along and I drove with the dog while he flew back with our kid. Only then did we start looking for a new house at the new state.

In the end we rented at the new place for a year. There was a 3 month overlap where he was at the apartment alone. We left the apartment about 2 weeks before our lease was up. That gave us 9 months to hunt for a new house and move in.

It was pretty perfect.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:04 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
The time does not go fast, no. The time goes slowly. I had the same situation as you OP and the same realization that there are very very few month to month apartments. New apartments are your best bet because they’re not full, and they’re nice. My option isn’t available to you, but I opted to stay in my own apartment high rise, it’s a family property but undergoing overhaul from its 1960s roots. 70% of the units are nice and newly remodeled. I’m in one of the 30%. It really sucks and I wish I had held my house until we moved, no double move required, but alas here we are. It’s a total of 7 weeks here but I’m out of town for 3.5 of them so that’s the silver lining.

Whatever you do, don’t underestimate the temporary depression of being stuck in a lousy living situation. Coming from a nice 3 story house with a home gym and a lot of bells and whistles, and going to a future house with way more still, being stuck in a 1960s time capsule between doesn’t inspire me to do anything but pass the time without losing my sanity. Best of wishes you find something better!

Old 07-26-2019, 03:23 PM

Thank you for the tips!
I want to make sure that the temporary housing (at originating location) is nice and safe since it will be mainly the wife and kids. I can manage a 3 months commitment but the 60 days notice might be troublesome in case we sell the house and maybe if I'm lucky land a job earlier than expected.

So many puzzles to solve for this move..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues