Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 05:44 PM

421 posts, read 391,275 times

Advertisements

I've been boxing up stuff all summer getting ready for the move... just noticed that many of the boxes stored in my attached garage the tape has loosened? I'm using packing boxes and packing tape, the clear wide stuff just as expected.. do I need to go through and retape all of these 80+ boxes? Prior to the loading crew arriving? Kind of frustrating two weeks before I move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 06:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Did you buy quality brand tape, or just some cheap off-brand tape?

Old 08-06-2019, 01:20 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Temperature will affect tape. I would check your boxes.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:54 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Moving is so stressful, especially when combined with selling a property and buying a new property - three major life events happening practically simultaneously. I see ensuring I have high quality boxes and high quality tape as an excellent investment in the protection of my property, yes, but much more importantly, an essential investment in my peace of mind.

While I do like boxes from U-haul, I find that what really makes a big difference is using U-haul's tape. It is fantastic. It is easy to tear by hand, and sticks like nothing else. And it has a little structure, itself, so if I'm reusing a box that has some bumps and bruises, the tape can actually give the box more integrity.

Oh, and you can easily write on the tape.

I will warn you: Don't use the tape on anything other than your cardboard boxes! We used it, also, to seal our plastic tote bins, and now we permanently have some of that tape stuck to those tote bins. (I'm being smarter about it this time: I'm using clear stretch wrap around the girth of the tote bins, which won't stick, and then taping on top of the stretch wrap to keep the top closed in transit.)

Old 08-06-2019, 09:27 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I don’t know. We boxed up some of our stuff, using regular packing tape, and it went through a hot St. Louis summer in storage, before arriving at our house. I do not remember any problem like you describe.

The movers might reinforce your tape, when they notice it being loose.

Or, you might want to retape with 3M packing tape.

Is the loosened tape stuck to regular cardboard boxes? Or are the boxes plastic or plastic coated? I think we taped our plastic bins closed with duct tape, if memory serves,

Old 08-06-2019, 09:43 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Just a note to people starting now to pack up for a move:

Moving men hate those plastic tote bins They do not stack well, do not hold up well, and the lids come off all too easily.

Cardboard boxes are still the best thing to pack in.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:02 PM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
To pack for shipping, yes. However, cardboard includes both starchy paper products and glue, two things that various types of bugs love to eat. When you move, you should expediently unpack your cardboard boxes into your furniture; for things that you're going to store in your home but not in your furniture, you're better off with plastic bins. They last longer and aren't food for critters.

https://animals.mom.me/cardboardeating-bugs-11660.html

Old 08-07-2019, 02:38 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Yes, I agree. Storing things in plastic bins has revolutionized long-term storage. But I repeat, they are not good for shipping, according to movers.

So buy those bins after your move and do your storage in them then.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Just a note to people starting now to pack up for a move:

Moving men hate those plastic tote bins They do not stack well, do not hold up well, and the lids come off all too easily.

We packed using some bins. We taped them shut. We had no problems.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:27 AM
bUU

Quote:
So buy those bins after your move and do your storage in them then.
I think you're missing the point that many people do exactly what you're saying here, and then they still have those bins the next time they move.

Despite the undertone of your comment, my mover assures me those bins are "perfectly fine" for moving.

They do stack well - they actually stack one on top of the other better than cardboard boxes since they have extra plastic protrusions that keep a box from shifting around atop another box. Also, they seal well since the top flaps have interleaving wings, and the flaps can be secured in place with cable ties through holes provided for that purpose. The only real issue is that you cannot mix stacking plastic bins with stacking cardboard boxes, but that's as much a problem with the cardboard boxes as with the plastic bins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues