Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 09:28 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Around $250 to install a hitch, $650 to rent a UHaul 4x8 one way with insurance and fees so around $900. The cost to rent an actual Uhaul truck one way from California to Texas is around $4000, good god!
Take a look at Budget and Penske as well. Recheck every few days because prices can fluctuate due to supply and demand. If you're moving to an area that's currently "hot", it'll actually be more expensive to rent a moving truck to go there because then the company has to pay to move their inventory around so they don't have a glut in that location. (that info told to me years ago by a chatty U-Haul rep)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 10:03 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,757 times
Uhaul Ubox. It's on the internet. Door to door shipping, each container max net one-ton. Very reasonable and no risk by driving yourself. Used it twice.
Your welcome.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Uhaul Ubox. It's on the internet. Door to door shipping, each container max net one-ton. Very reasonable and no risk by driving yourself. Used it twice.
Your welcome.
As of yesterday, my new boss' Ubox is six days past the already extremely long delivery window, with no revised ETA. I personally would never let all my belongings out of my sight like that, with a promise that "maybe" they'll get my stuff there in a couple weeks.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:02 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Your welcome.
it's about $1K for a UBox and around the same if I have to tow the trailer, this seems like a very good idea, thanks much! However as the previous poster said, definitely concerns about theft again, is there some kind of insurance? What if you get an empty UBox at the destination?

Old 06-09-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
it's about $1K for a UBox and around the same if I have to tow the trailer, this seems like a very good idea, thanks much! However as the previous poster said, definitely concerns about theft again, is there some kind of insurance? What if you get an empty UBox at the destination?
To be honest, in my boss' case, theft hasn't come up as a concern - it's just a backlog of getting these boxes on trucks from point A to point B. If the price is the same, it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned - moving my own stuff and knowing when I get to my new destination, my stuff is there too rather than letting someone move a pod that might show up in a week... or two... or more. Hope you enjoy that empty apartment while you wait!

Old 06-13-2020, 08:28 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
Quote:
I MAY have to consider moving from LA area to Dallas Metroplex. I have only a small amount of stuff to move (1bd apt) and was considering using a UHaul 4x8 enclosed trailer for the job. I have a pickup truck with a 6ft bed and it has a bed extender as well so I was wondering if I could just put my stuff in the bed and forego the enclosed trailer - that would make life much easier as I dislike pulling stuff especially for 1500+ miles.

The problem is that I don't have any means to cover my stuff to: 1) protect it from the elements (rain, wind etc.) 2) to prevent theft when I stop overnight.

Any ideas to solve the above problems? I think 1) is easily addressed with some sort of tarp secured over the items with strap downs. 2) is challenging as the straps can just be cut or removed rather easily. Nothing is foolproof but if there was some sort of metal netting that is lockable and could not be easily cut that would be good.
Get a trailer. You have more stuff than you think you do. When you pack get double the boxes you think you need. Stuff starts taking up space quickly and unless you have no furniture that truck bed will be full quickly.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:49 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
I appreciate all the pointers regarding this. I think I have decided on a final plan... I am NOT going to tow with my truck as it's a 17 year old truck with 150K miles and i'm just not comfortable with the safety aspects of towing a trailer 1500 miles with such an old vehicle. I think it will be fine but still I don't want the stress.

In addition I found that all my stuff will fit in 1 Relocube by UPack and best of all the Terminal to Terminal option is $1K which is a great bargain. The UHaul trailer rental ($650) + Hitch install ($350) itself is that much, add in all the extras like insurance etc. and i'm sure it will be more and the trailer space is a lot less. With the Relocube I don't have to deal with anything and it's 5' x 6' x 8' which is quite generous.

When I get to DFW I will have to transfer my stuff from the cube at the Terminal location to my destination which isn't too much work to do locally a few miles intra-city and I should be able to make multiple runs using just my truck bed.

I have 2 vehicles so I will have to drive my truck to DFW then fly back and drive my car (vehicle #2) on another trip. My vehicle #2 is a 2017 with just 12.5K miles so it isn't a big deal for this vehicle to make the drive

It isn't a done deal that i'm moving (I have a potential job offer that's close to materializing) but it isn't certain that I am accepting that offer so just preparing just in case...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues