Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 08:09 AM

1,305 posts, read 855,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
For those of you who hired local people to help you load/unload and/or move your stuff from storage to your new residence, how did you find them?
I used Next Door and hired a couple of tough teenage boys. They were fantastic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 09:45 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
Quote:
For those of you who hired local people to help you load/unload and/or move your stuff from storage to your new residence, how did you find them?
I don't remember, but I used Two Men and a Truck. They did a good job.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:00 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Quote:
From the U-haul site.

Old 08-13-2020, 05:50 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times
Quote:
Yelp

Old 08-13-2020, 05:53 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times
Try Shipsmart for small moves. Atlas Van Lines referred them to me after determining my move ( one bedroom apt) was too small for them. Shipsmart is the real deal. I've used them several times. Prices are very reasonable for professional movers.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:13 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Just used a mover. Overcharged next by about 1.5 hours. Any recourse or am I screwed because I signed off? I wonder if I could Report to the bbb. If not, lesson learned. Apparently this is a pretty common practice.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:37 PM

521 posts, read 292,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Just used a mover. Overcharged next by about 1.5 hours. Any recourse or am I screwed because I signed off? I wonder if I could Report to the bbb. If not, lesson learned. Apparently this is a pretty common practice.
you can report many things to BBB. They will reach out to the business and let you know their response

Old 08-27-2020, 12:13 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
I'm going with the UHaul pods for my move in October. Several reasons - price, ability to schedule movers when I reserve the Pod (for both cities), and ability of UHaul to store the pod should I not have an apartment immediately. Only two websites allowed me to get an actual online quote - UHaul and UPak. The others had me fill out an online form...then told me I had to call to get my quote. Nope, not happening. That's the whole reason of an online quote - no phone call with a pushy rental agent needed.

I should be able to get by with just one pod, and it's cheaper than renting a truck and moving myself. Plus I don't have to worry about where the cats will ride. Two pods would be a bit more than the truck, but still less hassle.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:07 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Was the 1.5 hours traveling time? Industry standard is that they have a minimum fee per day and usually you sign for their daily hours at the end of each shift.

I used PODS, and hired one of their recommended movers for the labor at each end, load and in load. I did some of the unloading to save some money, however they loaded much better and protected the items from moving during transport about a thousand times better than I could have ever done. They were very skilled at maximizing the space, I was amazed.

Old 08-27-2020, 04:11 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Was the 1.5 hours traveling time? Industry standard is that they have a minimum fee per day and usually you sign for their daily hours at the end of each shift.

I used PODS, and hired one of their recommended movers for the labor at each end, load and in load. I did some of the unloading to save some money, however they loaded much better and protected the items from moving during transport about a thousand times better than I could have ever done. They were very skilled at maximizing the space, I was amazed.
They were definitely good at loading, but again, charged me 2.5 hours in travel time when it was more likely one hour total, and they likely charged that next guy travel time.

Any thoughts on bellhop moving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues